Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

Newcastle Away

With Newcastle qualifying for the Group Stages of the Europa League it''s almost certain that our match at St James will be moved to Sunday 23rd September 2012, but why with only 19 day until the scheduled date for this fixture has no further information been released by Newcastle?Plans should have already been in place prior to their second-leg match in the Qualifier and details released at 9am on Friday morning once their fate was known, not waiting for the whole weekend to pass and now approaching mid morning on Monday still no news.

I was going to book train tickets for this a few weeks ago, but thought it best to be safe and wait for the match tickets to go on sale, just in case they didn''t go straight on general sale. Glad I did wait now as I had no idea a fixture move was on the cards! As it''s turned out the train tickets are probably going to be unaffordable for me this close to the game anyway.I agree it''s very poor nothing has been announced about this, especially considering the travel distance.On a different note, do I recall reading something when the fixtures came out about Aston Villa away being subject to change if Liverpool qualified for the Europa League? Not sure why that would affect us or Villa but think I remember seeing it.

I always see mentions of these cheaper train tickets in advance, but I''ve never seen any evidence that they actually exist. When booking tickets back to Norwich from Canterbury once, I bought the tickets I needed for the following weekend, and checked another weekend a couple months later just for reference, and there was no price difference...

But yeah, very unorganised of Newcastle this.

[quote user="Northluck C."]I was going to book train tickets for this a few weeks ago, but thought it best to be safe and wait for the match tickets to go on sale, just in case they didn''t go straight on general sale. Glad I did wait now as I had no idea a fixture move was on the cards! As it''s turned out the train tickets are probably going to be unaffordable for me this close to the game anyway.I agree it''s very poor nothing has been announced about this, especially considering the travel distance.On a different note, do I recall reading something when the fixtures came out about Aston Villa away being subject to change if Liverpool qualified for the Europa League? Not sure why that would affect us or Villa but think I remember seeing it.[/quote]Yes, Liverpool''s scheduled Saturday SKY game is being swapped with our (schedule Sunday SKY) game vs Villa as Liverpool now play on the Thursday prior. Our game will be a lunch time kick off on SKY, so not sure if that will put some off for a very tasty fixture.

Another one here jumping on train tickets the second this gets confirmed!

Northluck - Villa is currently scheduled for the Sunday at 1.30 on TV - it was announced a couple of months back that if Liverpool qualified for the Europa League (which they have) their game v Everton that weekend would move into that Sunday 1.30 TV slot and our game at Villa would change to Saturday 12.45, still on TV.

Obviously this is the case now but again nothing has been announced - I''m working on the assumption that Villa is Saturday 12.45, but haven''t got round to booking anything yet.

Thanks for the Villa game info, makes sense.[quote user="Gingerpele"]I always see mentions of these cheaper train tickets in advance, but I''ve never seen any evidence that they actually exist. When booking tickets back to Norwich from Canterbury once, I bought the tickets I needed for the following weekend, and checked another weekend a couple months later just for reference, and there was no price difference...

But yeah, very unorganised of Newcastle this.[/quote]The cheaper tickets are labelled as "advance" (as opposed to "off-peak", "anytime" etc.), are released roughly 12 weeks in advance and increase in price as the date nears. The drawbacks are they''re non-refundable if your plans change (can be moved with an admin fee payable I believe) and limit you to travel on the exact train you booked for. It depends which operator you''re using as some (such as First Capital Connect) don''t do advance tickets at all.

I''ve bought advance tickets numerous times over the years, but you have to get in early and accept that if there''s a change then you''re stuck with them.Still massively impressed with the deal I got about 4 years ago - Sheffield to London return in First Class seat - £10, especially as National Express wanted £15 for the fun of spending 5 hours on a coach instead...

I use advance tickets at work - usually save 40% off "standard" rates, but the downside is they are non-transferable so if your meeting over-runs then it becomes expensive.  Like Indy, very regularly travel first class as on some trips back from London they have more first class seats available than standard and thus the cost is sometimes much less than standard.  A quite perverse situation!

As for rearrangement of matches has anyone challenged the club on this - they should be looking after the welfare of their fans after all.  In this day and age it is not really good enough.  However it wouldn''t surprise me if the main hold-up is arrangements with the local constabulary over policing of the matches (probably cancellation fees involved nowadays - perhaps Tilly can comment?).

I''m hoping to get to this game again - really enjoyed the weekend away last season.

I spoke to my NUFC season ticket holding mate, and they apparently gave out the match as a forthcoming fixture on the tannoy at the weekend - confirming it as the Saturday at 3pm.

To be honest, last season the club held back from selling the tickets until it was certain that the date was going to be fixed. It was Sunday last time, so it was a bit of a faff for quite a few people. I expect it to be more difficult to get tickets this year.

Just make sure you have a head for heights, and don''t be embarrassed to use the lifts. There are far too many stairs up to the stand!

Ben

According to this link the NUFC stadium announcer had just jumped the gun and fixture changes due to the Europa league will be "along shortly".

http://www.themag.co.uk/guest-writers/confusion-over-newcastle-v-norwich-date/

I''m another one holding back before booking train tickets !  Hoping for an improvement on last year''s disappointing 1-0 defeat too.

[quote user="s10_yellow"]Another one here jumping on train tickets the second this gets confirmed!

Northluck - Villa is currently scheduled for the Sunday at 1.30 on TV - it was announced a couple of months back that if Liverpool qualified for the Europa League (which they have) their game v Everton that weekend would move into that Sunday 1.30 TV slot and our game at Villa would change to Saturday 12.45, still on TV.

Obviously this is the case now but again nothing has been announced - I''m working on the assumption that Villa is Saturday 12.45, but haven''t got round to booking anything yet.[/quote]Saturday 12.45 confirmed now.Just booked train tickets for the day, very happy with the price of £28.50 return from Norwich to Birmingham buying advance single tickets.

What do people feel the demand will be like for Villa? Am I gonna be alright in Group 3 or am I gonna have to scavenge around the house for the last 2 stubs that my dad failed to look after?!

[quote user="Excited Canary"]What do people feel the demand will be like for Villa? Am I gonna be alright in Group 3 or am I gonna have to scavenge around the house for the last 2 stubs that my dad failed to look after?![/quote]

My guess is group 3 will go to a ballot

[quote user="Excited Canary"]What do people feel the demand will be like for Villa? Am I gonna be alright in Group 3 or am I gonna have to scavenge around the house for the last 2 stubs that my dad failed to look after?![/quote]An early kickoff on Sky, a 3,000 allocation and with Fulham and Spurs going to general sale already this season, my guess would be that all applications in Group 3 will be fine.

[quote user="s10_yellow"]Thanks for the heads up Pete, trains are booked. Price had already jumped since I last checked it at lunchtime![/quote]Guessing you''re travelling from Kings Cross?  What did you pay out of interest if you don''t mind me asking?

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="s10_yellow"]Thanks for the heads up Pete, trains are booked. Price had already jumped since I last checked it at lunchtime![/quote]Guessing you''re travelling from Kings Cross?  What did you pay out of interest if you don''t mind me asking?[/quote]

With a railcard, £24.75 on the 0855 up and £31.70 on the 1800 back, £56.45 total.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]the train options from norwich to newcastle appears to be greatly reduced on a sunday compared to a saturday?!?!?..........may have to drive to this one[/quote]The line from Ely to Peterborough cuts through a lot of the fens and there''s a weekly engineering block from the end of service on a Saturday until late-morning on a Sunday so that checks can be made.  The first train from Ely toward Peterborough isn''t until 11, so you can''t arrive into Newcastle before 14:39, way too close to kick-off.  How about driving to Peterborough, or Newark (on the A47).  Would then save the horrible drive up the A1.

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]the train options from norwich to newcastle appears to be greatly reduced on a sunday compared to a saturday?!?!?..........may have to drive to this one[/quote]The line from Ely to Peterborough cuts through a lot of the fens and there''s a weekly engineering block from the end of service on a Saturday until late-morning on a Sunday so that checks can be made.  The first train from Ely toward Peterborough isn''t until 11, so you can''t arrive into Newcastle before 14:39, way too close to kick-off.  How about driving to Peterborough, or Newark (on the A47).  Would then save the horrible drive up the A1.[/quote]I''m rubbish at planning train journey''s. Do people think Newark to Doncaster and then Doncaster to Newcastle would be the cheapest option?