Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

The end of an era for the City stand!

I see today that the City Stand (sorry the Geoffery Watling stand!) will be used no more as the hub of activity at Carrow Road.  Reception, ticket office and staff will be moved to the South (sorry, Jarrold stand) as of next season.  This is of course a sensible decision.  The Jarrold stand is very impressive and obviously has more space.  However, it''ll be like the end of an era.  For as long as i have been a Norwich fan, the City stand has been the "main" stand.  The stand where the camera''s stand in front of outside when a manager leaves, the stand where the changing rooms are (ok they still will be), the stand where you imagine the hub of activity, the nerve centre of Norwich City football club is.  To think that this will now be stuck round the back facing, what is at the moment, a building site is quite sad.

Never mind, I''m sure I''ll get used to it

Yes it will be a shame, I always thought of it as ''the posh stand'', certainly when I was younger, however it does pave the way nicely for a second tier at somepoint, whilst leaving the administration and the ticketing side of things unaffected in their new homes..

That''s progress I suppose.......and yes, it will certainly be awful strange, and similar to when the Barclay Stand was erected and the terracing was removed.

The City Stand was the hub of the club, and it''s now the end of an era. 

Robert Chase, his turbulent years spent as our Chairman, followed by his more than welcome resignation....."END OF AN ERROR!" OTBC

Have you seen the back of the South (Jarrold) Stand though?

It''s awesome! Looks 1000x better than the other stand and portrays a better image of us than the City Stand. However, if/when a 2nd tier is put on the City Stand I guess we can expect the back to look similar to the South Stand.

Can''t help but feel that this is all to pave the way for an extra tier on the City Stand.

I''m sure once the surrounding area is finished, the Jarrold Stand will look superb from the outside. Isn''t it also going to house a Norwich City museum and car exhibition centre as well?

a s a city stand holder in the wings, I hope they use this chance to increase the space for catering and toilet facilities. good facilities in their day but compared to the Jarrold, rubbish.

This is both good and bad news.

The bad new being that its moving away from its home for the past years, since when the canaries moved to carrow road.

The good news being its going to have a new home in a bigger enviroment, and maybe pave the way for the Watling stand to be updated, and possable double tierd.

Beds, the Proton Car show room is already there, along with a jarrold window, i suspect the main reception will be in between these rooms.