Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost of Percy Varco

Mark Lawrenson

Was just listening to an interview on TalkSport about Reading and Cardiff forward Robin Friday, who they are making a film about. Sounded an interesting character so did a bit of research on him and found the following article on him.http://backpagefootball.com/robin-friday-the-greatest-player-you-never-saw/17079/It contains this wonderful reference to Mark Lawrenson;"His most memorable moment as a Cardiff player came when playing

Brighton. Friday was being marked by a young Irishman called Mark

Lawrenson. And was getting frustrated by the close attention he was

being given. So he waited for Lawrenson to slide tackle him and as he

did Friday turned a kicked him full into the face. He was sent off

immediately but he wasn’t finished there. He broke into the away

dressing room and defecated into Lawrenson’s bag before disappearing on

another binge.

Although Lawrenson maintain’s to this day that that never happened…"

I know how some of you rather dislike Lawro so figured you''d appreciate this!

what a waste of talent, must have been living with demons in the head. as the title indicates i, for one of many, have never heard of him before.

I''d never heard of him until this thread, he''s now in my top five people ever, let alone footballers. What a great find, well done.

Robin Friday was a legend in his Cardiff and Reading appearances. I believe that the late Clive Thomas said that Friday had the most spectacular talent he had ever seen. However, his antics, such as diving into a hotel pond and appearing naked with a swan under his arm at a team talk were equally spectacular !! The Super Furry Animals song " The Man that didn''t give a F%^k" was dedicated to him.

[quote user="AlanBiley"]Robin Friday was a legend in his Cardiff and Reading appearances. I believe that the late Clive Thomas said that Friday had the most spectacular talent he had ever seen. However, his antics, such as diving into a hotel pond and appearing naked with a swan under his arm at a team talk were equally spectacular !! The Super Furry Animals song " The Man that didn''t give a F%^k" was dedicated to him.[/quote]

and Tony Blair

H

Top bloke. I guess the closest contemporary comparison is probably Balotelli, but even he of bathroom firework displays and telling cops that the reason he has 12,000 in cash sitting on his passenger seat is "because I''m rich, I can do what I want" fame isn''t even remotely close to Friday''s legend.

It would be more funny if he had broken in the changing rooms and kicked Lawro''s bag, and on the pitch shit on his head...

Forget Lawrenson, Robin Friday''s antics are of legendary proportion....rounding the Everton Keeper and flicking the V''s in celebration, getting impaled on railings after a drunken binge......

Just read his Wiki page.If Keith Moon was a footballer......

(Never knew that about the SFA track,cheers[Y])

[quote user="AlanBiley"]Forget Lawrenson, Robin Friday''s antics are of legendary proportion....rounding the Everton Keeper and flicking the V''s in celebration, getting impaled on railings after a drunken binge......[/quote]

He sounds like Barton

Lawrenson must have been one hell of a young defender to provoke Friday into having a such a tanty. Suitable retribution for Lawrenson years later would have been for him to be attacked by a squirrell rather than Knill.

I don''t hate him, just don''t rate him.

H