Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

I'm ruling out:-

A third runway ever being built for Norwich Airport.

A new tier ever being built on the City Stand.

Chris Martin ever scoring another goal in the Premier League.

Simon Lappin ever again getting a game in the Premier League.

Assuming my prophesies are true, then why are these two players being included in our 25 man squad?

The languid Chris. M. has had his chances but was unable to take them. Lambert shipped him out and Palace are not exactly busting an inflatable to have him back. He did score a few for them, but there remains something missing with this player. I''d be inclined to put the new boy before him, and I''ve never seen Harry kick a ball in anger.

Simon L. has perfected the role of being everyone''s favourite reserve. Never one to let us down, he put in some decent performances in the team towards the end of last season. The positions he play in now have additional and stronger recruits so it seems unlikely that he will ever have the opportunity to repeat these feats. 

My point being? These two nearly boys remain on the payroll and I feel that their combined wages should have gone to a marquee forward signing such as Michael Owen (but not him as he would likely have not wanted to travel as far afield as the Elysian Fields that are Norfolk,) whose likely goals might have made all the difference in our mission this season.

IMHO, I cannot see the above two making much of a contribution towards the cause we have of survival at all costs, if any.  

All IMHO naturally. The Martinets will now bite back at me no doubt. The Simon fans will now be Flappin'' in angst..

I honestly don''t know why anyone would Michael Owen here... He was a childhood hero of mine but apart from the massive wages he is on, he is incredibly injury prone and I don''t think his heart is really in it anymore. If we are going to survive we are going to need everyone going right to the wall I just cannot believe Michael Owen would do that.

Lappin has had quite a phenomenal career with us, he''s now the only player in the squad who has been there all the way through the good times and the bad.

He is a useful squad player, nothing more nothing less

Martin - we are thin on the ground up top, hughton I believe has seen something in him I''m yet to see it but I''m not manager of NCFC

The key problem is that we could only remove players from our squad by selling them, and if they didn''t have any takers then we were left with them or face the choice to release them from contracts early and pay them off to make the room.CH clearly doesn''t see a place for Ward in there, and I''m sure we could have easily found an interested CCC club if it was known he was available early doors, likewise Lappin may be a great pro but isn''t strong enough to challenge even the backup players in his main two positions.With those two out we could have brought someone like Owen in and the squad would have been better overall IMHO, but there''s no point crying over spilt milk now...

[quote user="Koreacanary"]I honestly don''t know why anyone would Michael Owen here...[/quote]Because he''s a quality and proven striker at this level, and who up until this summer played for the biggest team in the league. Fergie doesn''t carry passengers, and like some of us on here, he obviously thought Owen was worth the money for the last 3 years.[quote]apart from the massive wages he is on[/quote]25k a week apparently now assuming the Stoke transfer goes through - not exactly massive is it?[quote]is incredibly injury prone[/quote]Agreed[quote]and I don''t think his heart is really in it anymore.[/quote]On what grounds do you make this assumption?If we wasn''t bothered he could simply have retired after leaving Man Utd rather than signing for someone like Stoke. He''s never struck me as a greedy player or someone who''s just bothered about the money and I think he wants to prove he''s still good enough rather than simply bowing out and he won''t be able to prove that if his heart isn''t in it.Put it this way, would you rather potentially have Owen upfront in the event of injuries to Holt/Moro or do you honestly think Jackson and Martin are better...???

It''s a financial thing for me, as much as anything.

In these times of financial prudence why are we keeping this pair on the payroll when their contribution to the cause is likely to be minimal at most? Better a 23 man squad IMO.

Most team in the Premier did not fill their 25 man quota, most notably Everton. It seems clear that in many instances this was a decision born out of financial necessity.

If we are going to fork out the extra money, then surely it''s better spent on a player who might make more of a difference this season than these two are likely to. Not necessarily a Michael Owen either.

Well I personally think Elliot Ward should have been included rather than either of these two but I''m sure I''ll get called a whinger and all the rest of it for saying this.

I''d rather just trust Hughtons judgement, and I don''t know why people say C Martin has had his chances, cos he hasn''t, no matter what the idiots say on here.

[quote user="Yellows"]I''d rather just trust Hughtons judgement, and I don''t know why people say C Martin has had his chances, cos he hasn''t, no matter what the idiots say on here.[/quote]

Oh! The insult merchants have entered the debate.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Koreacanary"]I honestly don''t know why anyone would Michael Owen here...[/quote]
Because he''s a quality and proven striker at this level, and who up until this summer played for the biggest team in the league. Fergie doesn''t carry passengers, and like some of us on here, he obviously thought Owen was worth the money for the last 3 years.

[quote]apart from the massive wages he is on[/quote]
25k a week apparently now assuming the Stoke transfer goes through - not exactly massive is it?

[quote]is incredibly injury prone[/quote]
Agreed

[quote]and I don''t think his heart is really in it anymore.[/quote]
On what grounds do you make this assumption?

If we wasn''t bothered he could simply have retired after leaving Man Utd rather than signing for someone like Stoke.

He''s never struck me as a greedy player or someone who''s just bothered about the money and I think he wants to prove he''s still good enough rather than simply bowing out and he won''t be able to prove that if his heart isn''t in it.

Put it this way, would you rather potentially have Owen upfront in the event of injuries to Holt/Moro or do you honestly think Jackson and Martin are better...???
[/quote]

Fergie as made his fair share of tranfer mistakes, despite signing Owen, he was never first choice.

Owen did fairly well when called upon my United, but still had his injury misaps.

I dont believe that Stoke are only paying £25k a week.

Of course Jackson/Martin arnt better than Owen, but id rather have them 2, than Owen. Based on injury record and my belief that Owen would want much more than £25k.

Also if Owen was really that passionate about football and wanted to play football, he could easy have dropped a division to some where he would have been the first name on the team sheet and spent the summer there in pre-season training.

[quote user="Steady On..."]This OP has got to be about the most stupid thing I''ve ever seen posted on here. Congratulations, I guess.[/quote]

its a close one, but i think wiz and bore  own that crown imo

[quote user="Steady On..."]This OP has got to be about the most stupid thing I''ve ever seen posted on here. Congratulations, I guess.[/quote]

Wow! "The most stupid thing ever etc.," such a sweeping condemnation.

Can you now please state why you feel that way, with a reasoned response if possible. It might be difficult for you, but it would be much appreciated.

So you think we should "get rid" of Simon lappin and Chris Martin who are perfectly adequate squad players running out the end of their contracts but willing to play if called upon, you have no plan for "getting rid" of these players. I love the people that say "we should have loaned Martin to Huddersfield and not Vaughan" they didn''t ask for Martin did they! Idiots!

Lappin is a legend and he''s a welcome addition to the 25.

Your solution to getting rid of these two, who are obviously such a cancerous growth on our club, I''d to bring In Michael "Crock" Owen!! Then I know you must be trolling or just stupid.

Michael Owen was never going to at for us whether you think he''s good or not, so if and when he does well or scores why would you cry about it??!!! You may as well cry over RVP!!

And the guy Sayin he''s on 25k a week where''s the evidence? Because I suspect that''s grade A BS your talking there

Idiot.

[quote user="Steady On..."]So you think we should "get rid" of Simon lappin and Chris Martin who are perfectly adequate squad players running out the end of their contracts but willing to play if called upon, you have no plan for "getting rid" of these players. I love the people that say "we should have loaned Martin to Huddersfield and not Vaughan" they didn''t ask for Martin did they! Idiots! Lappin is a legend and he''s a welcome addition to the 25. Your solution to getting rid of these two, who are obviously such a cancerous growth on our club, I''d to bring In Michael "Crock" Owen!! Then I know you must be trolling or just stupid. Michael Owen was never going to at for us whether you think he''s good or not, so if and when he does well or scores why would you cry about it??!!! You may as well cry over RVP!! And the guy Sayin he''s on 25k a week where''s the evidence? Because I suspect that''s grade A BS your talking there Idiot.[/quote]

What the hell are you talking about boyo?

"Legends" and "cancerous growths" and all your other mis-representations of what I and others have said about retaining two players on the payroll ("adequate") who are inlikely to contribute much to our cause this season.

Look, no insults.

(Or excessive over-statement either, for that matter.)  

[quote user="Steady On..."]So you think we should "get rid" of Simon lappin and Chris Martin who are perfectly adequate squad players running out the end of their contracts but willing to play if called upon, you have no plan for "getting rid" of these players. I love the people that say "we should have loaned Martin to Huddersfield and not Vaughan" they didn''t ask for Martin did they! Idiots! Lappin is a legend and he''s a welcome addition to the 25. Your solution to getting rid of these two, who are obviously such a cancerous growth on our club, I''d to bring In Michael "Crock" Owen!! Then I know you must be trolling or just stupid. Michael Owen was never going to at for us whether you think he''s good or not, so if and when he does well or scores why would you cry about it??!!! You may as well cry over RVP!! And the guy Sayin he''s on 25k a week where''s the evidence? Because I suspect that''s grade A BS your talking there Idiot.[/quote]

Duncan Forbes is a legend. A few others. As for Lappin, if the pink ''un is still doing Name That Team in 20 years or so then people will be scratching their heads over who the heck that six-letter player could be, and then saying "I''d completely forgotten about him" (or words to that effect) when the answer is revealed. A kind of poor man''s Trevor Putney.

I think everyone is missing the point here, think the bigger issue is clearly issues around the 3rd runway.

What sort of senseless thought process went into the proclamation that you can rule out there ever being a 3rd runway??? and as for a second tier on the city stand........................you need to take 5 minutes to think before you type my friend!

Not everyone in any squad is a nailed on starter, why do you think our squad requires 10 Holts and 10 snodgrasses, that''s not how it works.

Simon Lappin IS a legend and a cult hero amongst Norwich fans and if certain people can''t see that then they obviously haven''t been to many games in the last few years. People have obvious issues with Chris Martin but they are rarely football related, mostly personal issues bought on by some weird prejudice.

You''ve conveniently side stepped the point you made about Owen. Those suggestin Owen for Norwich are grade-A idiots. Bone-fide certifiable idiots. He was never going to join, you''d be stupid to want it. A past it crock not in mould of the club that would only cause a Mis-shaped squad, it''s not 2004 for anymore "boyo". But no doubt you''ll be boo hooing about it every 5 minutes like he''s Cody freakin McDonald every time he passes the ball for Stoke. Mature.

[quote user="cambscanary"]

I think everyone is missing the point here, think the bigger issue is clearly issues around the 3rd runway.

What sort of senseless thought process went into the proclamation that you can rule out there ever being a 3rd runway??? and as for a second tier on the city stand........................you need to take 5 minutes to think before you type my friend!

[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D]

Very tue.

Someone nailed it in regards to Lappin the other day - he isn''t a ''legend'' (a term used too loosely) he is a ''cult'' player. People will have fond memories and have nice things to say about him, but 99% of his contributions to Norwich have come off the pitch rather than on it.

He rose to fame by ''standing up to Roeder'' or as others would see it ''refusing to play elsewhere for less'' and due the universal hatred of the manager he became a hero.

Lappin''s in the squad of 25 because there is a line in the rules that say any ''eligible'' player must be included, he and Chris Martin are eligible and thus included. Due to his versatility Lapping sneaks ahead of Ward and seeing as Martin has already played this season and been included on the bench the other day, he is obviously still valued. Norwich don''t want to spend more than a few thousand pounds just relasing these guys so they are at Norwich until the club gets the right offer - I''d imagine an offer of zero pounds would get you Lapping tbh.

[quote user="Steady On..."]Not everyone in any squad is a nailed on starter, why do you think our squad requires 10 Holts and 10 snodgrasses, that''s not how it works. Simon Lappin IS a legend and a cult hero amongst Norwich fans and if certain people can''t see that then they obviously haven''t been to many games in the last few years. People have obvious issues with Chris Martin but they are rarely football related, mostly personal issues bought on by some weird prejudice. You''ve conveniently side stepped the point you made about Owen. Those suggestin Owen for Norwich are grade-A idiots. Bone-fide certifiable idiots. He was never going to join, you''d be stupid to want it. A past it crock not in mould of the club that would only cause a Mis-shaped squad, it''s not 2004 for anymore "boyo". But no doubt you''ll be boo hooing about it every 5 minutes like he''s Cody freakin McDonald every time he passes the ball for Stoke. Mature.[/quote]

Ugh?

Please keep going, it''s been absolutely hilarious so far. Stream of consciousness syndrome at it''s very best. 

It''s refreshing to know you don''t "understand" what I''m saying

You''ve been on here talking rubbish so long you all believe it.

You need some tough love on here, this place is more divisive to the club than Simon lappin or Chris Martin ever could be.

[quote user="Steady On..."]It''s refreshing to know you don''t "understand" what I''m saying You''ve been on here talking rubbish so long you all believe it. You need some tough love on here, this place is more divisive to the club than Simon lappin or Chris Martin ever could be.[/quote]

It just get''s better and better.

[quote user="Steady On..."]Your damn right it is grandad, whether you like it or not.[/quote]

Ugh? Like what kiddo?

You have this amazing ability to make less and less sense with every post you contribute to this thread.

I agree Bethnal;  it is Lappins (and the remaining squads) versatility thay excludes Ward.

At centre back we have 4 dedicated experts but also have the option of R Martin and Whittaker to cover if emergency requires,  that is cover in depth .   Lappin provides cover in midfield (less essential) and more importantly at left back where Tierney is the only cover.