Sign in to follow this  
funny old game

Bottom 3

Now that season is underway it appears that some of the pre season relegation favourites are having reasonably solid starts, WBA, Wigan, Swansea, West Ham are all showing decent form & giving there supporters cause for optimism, my pre season thoughts were Swansea, Wigan & Southampton, but I''m now thinking it could be Aston Villa, Southampton, Reading, whilst we are steadily improving I expect we will be in & around the bottom 6 for much of the season, although I think we should have enough strength in depth to be ok.

A report on 5 live during the week suggested that of all seasons this not the one to be in the bottom 3 as TV deals for next season will increase by an incredible 71% when the new deal kicks in, (explains the panic buying of QPR). I expect that bottom 6 owners/chairmen & managers will be very nervous by November with this added financial pressure & come the January window much more panic buying, Norwich have probably kept funds back for the January window, but with the stakes so high we may well be priced out of potential targets. Hence QPRs strategy which may allow them to sell rather than buy in an inflated market,

If I remember correctly, Wolves won their first 2 games last season and we all know what happened to them. All those teams you''ve mentioned have started well, but it''s a question if they can keep that up all the way through the season. Form will dip in quality at some point. But like I''ve said before, this season all the teams including the promoted sides have improved their squads and it will be a lot tougher to stay up this year. I honestly can''t predict who I think will go down as it''s too early and imo all the teams are looking good.

[quote user="funny old game"]Now that season is underway it appears that some of the pre season relegation favourites are having reasonably solid starts, WBA, Wigan, Swansea, West Ham are all showing decent form & giving there supporters cause for optimism, my pre season thoughts were Swansea, Wigan & Southampton, but I''m now thinking it could be Aston Villa, Southampton, Reading, whilst we are steadily improving I expect we will be in & around the bottom 6 for much of the season, although I think we should have enough strength in depth to be ok.

A report on 5 live during the week suggested that of all seasons this not the one to be in the bottom 3 as TV deals for next season will increase by an incredible 71% when the new deal kicks in, (explains the panic buying of QPR). I expect that bottom 6 owners/chairmen & managers will be very nervous by November with this added financial pressure & come the January window much more panic buying, Norwich have probably kept funds back for the January window, but with the stakes so high we may well be priced out of potential targets. Hence QPRs strategy which may allow them to sell rather than buy in an inflated market,[/quote]Some strategy, eh ?

At the moment I am more interested to see who gets fired first, Rodgers or Lambert.Maybe we should make a phone call to Lambert''s agent informing him that if and when he is fired we would love to offer him a job at Carrow Road.Chris Hughton needs someone to clean his tracksuits.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]At the moment I am more interested to see who gets fired first, Rodgers or Lambert.

Maybe we should make a phone call to Lambert''s agent informing him that if and when he is fired we would love to offer him a job at Carrow Road.
Chris Hughton needs someone to clean his tracksuits.
[/quote]

Rodgers comes over as a nice one, and he seems to be getting it right. He will never win and will eventually be given the push because there is no manager capable of living upto ''Pools'' expectations. They live in the past even more than that lot down the ''road to hell.''

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[quote user="pete"]Adkins will go first to be replaced by Harry Redknapp.  Nailed on.[/quote]

I agree; it''s the perfect job for Harry!

[/quote]

He''s been there, from Pompey, then went back to Pompey. I don''t even think ''arry could get away with that!

He got away with an awful lot from S''oton, last time

I would think he would be as welcome back there as Ronnie Biggs at a train drivers reunion

Bolton won 5-0 in there first game last season if i remember.

Think it was 4 - 0 Bolton beat QPR last season. So I don''t think the first couple of games give you an idea who will go down.

Whilst I agree our buying has been a tad plentiful , I''d hardly call it ''panic''.  We''ve signed some very good players in Park, Granero, Mbia, Cesar, Hoilett, Boswinga etc. It''s now getting them to play as a team and hopefully the results will come.

I know there''s a lot of split opinions about the approach the club has taken but at the end of the day, they''re the owners and run the club how they see fit, just as with the owners of all clubs. We as fans have to trust them and hope it all works. Only time will tell.

I don''t think we''ll go down. Our squad is much stronger than last season. I don''t expect us to be flying high either, I''d be happy with 14th! It''s all about year on year growth. Small steps, Rome wasn''t built in a day, from little acorns.... and all that.

I would tend to agree with that QPR67 and even to the extent that the players are decent buys, despite their cost.

I think your manager is your biggest problem. He seems to have an over-abrasive approach to things and might rub some individuals up the wrong way, thereby not getting the best from them.

I say "seems" as in reality he might be a pussy-cat, but I wouldn''t want him in the hot seat at Carrow Road.

Yeah, Hughes can be a bit cold. He certainly has divided opinion amongst QPR fans. After the last game of last season, he said words to the effect of "QPR will not be in a relegation battle while I''m Manager". Whilst I see where he''s coming from, there are already fans of other clubs (well, a Swansea fan) on another forum accusing Hughes of being arrogant and suggesting Hughes is saying QPR has a divine right to be higher up the table. I think the Swansea fans has taken the words out of context a bit. Hughes, or any manager, is hardly going to say "yeah, we''re really going to struggle this season... bring it on"

As for who will go down, I really don''t know. Last season was a bit easier as I think most people thought Bolton, Blackburn, Wolves, QPR, Wigan etc would struggle and they all did. It was just a matter of which order they finished in. This season will be a lot tougher and I think a minimum of 40-42 points is needed for survival.

Yes. Your last point might be correct and there might be a squeeze, points-wise, between the top three and and the bottom three.

Already some of the liklies for relegation are picking up unexpected points, whilst some of the top-six are dropping them.

I think in the terms of the individual players, QPRs buys have been excellent. but from the looks of things Hughs has bought players for the individual talent, and is trying to get them to play a way they''re uncomfortable with. just MHO though.

and it is far too early to call the bottom three, I can''t seem to agree with myself on who it will be, needless to say I think the bottom 6/7 will all be very close on points.

Personally I think Hughes is a decent manager - he''s never really failed anywhere and did good jobs at Wales, Blackburn and Fulham - his stint at Man City wasn''t perfect but wasn''t a disaster either. The problem with Hughes is the shadowy figure of Kia Joorabchian who lurks just behind him - it''s no surprise that several of the big signings QPR have made are represented by Kia''s company.

When QPR played Norwich they looked like a team of strangers, just trying to lump balls behind the defence for Cisse to run onto. I''d put these down to teething problems and with some time together this should be sorted, a marked improvement was seen in the Man City game. The biggest issue at QPR will obviously be squad harmony, can Hughes keep all these players working together and pulling in the same direction, there are some pretty big egos in that squad (as well as some very hard working players).

Using last season as a barometer is a little false though, many of the players brought in were done so by Warnock and he is shocking with a transfer budget - but if Hughes turns his back on some of the players who worked hard to bring QPR to the premier league he may struggle - a lot of the ''big name'' players there know even if QPR get relegated they''ll probably find nice new clubs somewhere.

For me relegation will be 3 of several clubs - QPR, Swansea, West Ham, Norwich, Southampton, Reading, Wigan and potentially Stoke and Aston Villa. Reading had the weakest squad before promotion and have added the least over the summer, I think they are most likely for the drop. The rest will be down to injuries, suspensions and a slice of luck.

Kia Joorabchian  - it makes me shudder that he''s indirectly involved with QPR. It makes me shudder even more that he has such an influence on football. The guy and all of his ilk are a big part of what is wrong with football today.

Probably a seperate topic but I still don''t get why clubs have to pay the agents fees.  A footballers agent is there to represent him, the footballer. Why can''t HE pay HIS agent?  If you''re an actor, you pay your agent for getting you parts. The TV/film company doesn''t pay the agent. Not as far as I''m aware anyway.

[quote user="QPR67"]

Whilst I agree our buying has been a tad plentiful , I''d hardly call it ''panic''.  We''ve signed some very good players in Park, Granero, Mbia, Cesar, Hoilett, Boswinga etc. It''s now getting them to play as a team and hopefully the results will come.

I know there''s a lot of split opinions about the approach the club has taken but at the end of the day, they''re the owners and run the club how they see fit, just as with the owners of all clubs. We as fans have to trust them and hope it all works. Only time will tell.

I don''t think we''ll go down. Our squad is much stronger than last season. I don''t expect us to be flying high either, I''d be happy with 14th! It''s all about year on year growth. Small steps, Rome wasn''t built in a day, from little acorns.... and all that.

[/quote]

I notice you don''t include Green in your list.....

I honestly think Qpr will go down this season. The Qpr fan is right, they have got a stronger squad this year but the problem Jus the lower Prem team''s have got a lot better than last year. I also think Reading will definitely go down but I fear us aswell for that 18th spot at the moment. 3 point''s against Westham is a must.

I can''t call it this season. Any 3 of about 12 teams I believe could drop this year. It''ll be the most exciting and unnerving seasons for years simply because of the new Prem deal just being around the corner. Get the feeling alot of the mid to lower teams will throw everything at survival in the 2nd half of the campaign (January). I think we may see a surprise "larger club" drop this year.