Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Chill Out!

[quote user="dpit"]How about we all apply the following filters on our debate: would my tone/wording be appropriate in either of the following settings: a) my place of work? b) in the pub with my mates? For example if you were to refer to another person''s ''pathetic ramblings'' in a work meeting it would not go down well at all and if you were to do so in the pub, it would probably end up with you being punched on the nose. A little common decency and mutual respect might allow us to focus on the issues and not get uptight with each other personally. It''s not that difficult, surely?[/quote]

So if a load of guys were in the pub having a reasonable and informed debate about whether their football club should increase capacity would you but in and say....

[quote user="dpit"]Get. A grip the lot of you. Watch the Paralimpic Closing Ceremony and realise your bleating one upmanship is petty and woefully insignificant in the face of the human spirit and endeavour displayed over the last 2 weeks. Just have a good hard look at yourselves.[/quote]

This thread will become a haven for pompous and self righteous posters who are probably great potential customers for my "!Forum Moderator 2012" computer game. So I''ll hang around [;)] Now just £14.99 from all reputable gaming stores BTW[Y]

Yep, Nige I''m lecturing myself as well. Pompous and self righteous? Maybe. And yes, I probably would but in to a pub conversation with something along those lines of "look guys, we''re all on the same side here. Get off your high horses, have some perspective, lighten up."

It isn''t moderation we need. Its self-censorship.

Well dpit,  I made a couple of contributions on that thread and there were also some good posters making other informed contributions in to what I thought was quite a good debate. I didn''t see any abuse, people with agendas taking it off topic or anything that could have possibly warranted your intervention. And I think you must frequent pubs of the like I''ve never seen. It would be unusual for a group of people to spend all evening agreeing with eachother and patting eachother on the back.

Here''s a topical example for you. I could, and have, spend an evening with Tilly discussing football and we''d hardly ever agree with eachother at all. In fact one of my claims to fame is that I have been rebuked by a double finger wag whist he launched from a bar stool[:O] Even Lapp hasn''t had onje of them[;)]

I wasn''t particularly referring to you as pompous and self righteous but read some of the posts from the usual tut-tutters. This messageboard reflects real life people debating something that stirs passions. It''s going to be what it is. The alternative is to dumb it down and sanitise it so that it doesn''t reflect the real world.

"That''s exceedingly stupid, even by your standards."

Do you have a life?

The ragbag of trolls and malecontents don''t nor of any coment they make, hence their hiding behind little used log in names.

I like a good pub debate as much as the next man. In fact, I''m probably the one who often starts one. But a little decorum helps people to take one''s arguments more seriously.

[quote user="dpit"]"That''s exceedingly stupid, even by your standards." Do you have a life? The ragbag of trolls and malecontents don''t nor of any coment they make, hence their hiding behind little used log in names. I like a good pub debate as much as the next man. In fact, I''m probably the one who often starts one. But a little decorum helps people to take one''s arguments more seriously.[/quote]

Good man. Excellent point well made[A]

Boards change.  Its not the same board as it was two weeks ago.   It changes with the fortunes of the football club.

My reason for starting this thread was that for several days I tried to get involved with some threads - which were hijacked by trolls.  By that I mean posters whose sole aim was to make life difficult for the original poster.     The board is full of characters which is great - and can be very entertaining - but if posters appear to just be posting just to carry on some vendetta then they just get tiresome.   I daresay people get fed up with my posts, but at least my posting is aimed at discussing the merits of our club, not having a go at individuals for the sake of it.  

This is a great place to communicate with fellow fans and its  up to us to make sure it stays that way.  If  it gets spoilt by too much trolling - we only have ourselves to blame.    Self control is what is needed - especially by  the self styled internet police types who quite frankly should know better. 

Just out of interest, does anyone know if any other club''s message boards have posters who are at each other''s throats as some of ours are?

How about Archant using these amazing people called "mods" which all the successful forums have. They keep threads on topic and police the posters.Amazingly simple thing that this free-for-all needs badly.

Kellybrook,A great suggestion, but I am not sure if Archant (as a commercial organisation) would be willing to part relinquihs day to control as they retain the ultimate responsibility as the pubksihed for libel and defamtion. I am not sure if Pete is willing or able to comment on this matter.

Separately, there is the matter of who would be selcted to moderate and whether their independence would be sufficiently respected to facilitate robust discussion. If not, the board would simply die via another route. This is a trick one, but it is a theme that is worth developing in my view.

Don''t worry Nigel I wouldnt put myself forward to be a ''plastic mod''!!

[quote user="Desert Fox"]Kellybrook,

A great suggestion, but I am not sure if Archant (as a commercial organisation) would be willing to part relinquihs day to control as they retain the ultimate responsibility as the pubksihed for libel and defamtion. I am not sure if Pete is willing or able to comment on this matter.

Separately, there is the matter of who would be selcted to moderate and whether their independence would be sufficiently respected to facilitate robust discussion. If not, the board would simply die via another route. This is a trick one, but it is a theme that is worth developing in my view.

Don''t worry Nigel I wouldnt put myself forward to be a ''plastic mod''!!
[/quote]

I think you''d be perfect Dezza. You could single out the posters who''s views you disagree with whilst ignoring the ones you agree with.

What do you mean "you do that anyway"???

Nigel,I dont know what your strange pre-occuupation with me is. Every time I seem to post you follow me around! It is nice to be popular, but most other people on here dont atke any notice of what I have to say.Let''s get a few things straight. I have no desire to tell anyone what they can or cant post, but I think we should all treat other posters decentlty, resepct the forum rules and ''play the ball and not the man''. As you know I have a particualr dislike of anyone who attacks a poster for who they are rather than what they have to say. This has reached an unacceptable level in recent times and I have the right to comment and object to this. In this resepct, I am not the only one who is expressing this concern. I feel that this board is in desperate need of better moderation, however conservative this must make me sound.It is my right to choose which debates I participate in and I would not deny that right to you or anyone else. It would be a strange board if everyone just agreed with each other.So what is your problem with me and why do you assume that everything I say is deliberately constructed to antagonise you? I am sorry if this is the case as I have never met you and you obvioulsy care deeply for our beloved club. Perhaps you could just ignore me? Seriously, life is too short.

[quote user="Desert Fox"]Nigel,

I dont know what your strange pre-occuupation with me is. Every time I seem to post you follow me around! It is nice to be popular, but most other people on here dont atke any notice of what I have to say.

Let''s get a few things straight. I have no desire to tell anyone what they can or cant post, but I think we should all treat other posters decentlty, resepct the forum rules and ''play the ball and not the man''. As you know I have a particualr dislike of anyone who attacks a poster for who they are rather than what they have to say. This has reached an unacceptable level in recent times and I have the right to comment and object to this. In this resepct, I am not the only one who is expressing this concern. I feel that this board is in desperate need of better moderation, however conservative this must make me sound.

It is my right to choose which debates I participate in and I would not deny that right to you or anyone else. It would be a strange board if everyone just agreed with each other.

So what is your problem with me and why do you assume that everything I say is deliberately constructed to antagonise you? I am sorry if this is the case as I have never met you and you obvioulsy care deeply for our beloved club. Perhaps you could just ignore me? Seriously, life is too short.

[/quote]

I can''t fathom it either Dezza. Maybe it''s because you tend to lump me in with posters who don''t treat others respectfully and I think that''s unfair and wonder what the real reason is?

In fact I think you are far more disrespectful of others than the majority of posters on this board but I guess it would be a dull place if we all agreed.

Nigel,I really meant it when I said life is too short, I really dont want a running vendatta with you, especially as I have been very careful not to acuse you of anything. It is a shame that I have not been extended this courtesy in return.As for me being disrespectcful to other posters, this is simply unevidenced nonesense. The only instance that I have conscioulsy displayed behaviour that doesnt stand up to my own personal code of behaviour was addressing Tilly by his surname, for which I apologised. Is this so awful that I need to be chased off the board every time I post, which sadly is more infrequently than ever nowadays.Yes it would be a dull board if we all agreed, which is why I did actually say this in my previous post before you felt the need to point out this to me - alomost if I hadnt said it.Now, as you famously always have the need for the word, can I ask what your problem is with me? I have no reason to dislike you and I really dont want to have to be the subject of a post instead of the thread topic. What do you want me to do - stop posting, becuase it certainly feels that way to me.

[quote user="Mr Angry"]Just out of interest, does anyone know if any other club''s message boards have posters who are at each other''s throats as some of ours are?[/quote]

I tend to be a reader on here rather than a poster mainly due to the complaints made on this thread. NCFC Mad is quiet at times but has a fairly respectful tone. There''s plenty of banter from visiting fans.Certainly there is no geeky grammar police or critisism of OPs for their failure to adhere to non existant rules.

However as a life long fan who now lives away I do enjoy a lot of the debate on here and will try and actually contribute to healthy witty debate. I suppose that on Mad you can start a thread without fear of reprisal!

[quote user="Desert Fox"]Nigel,

I really meant it when I said life is too short, I really dont want a running vendatta with you, especially as I have been very careful not to acuse you of anything. It is a shame that I have not been extended this courtesy in return.

As for me being disrespectcful to other posters, this is simply unevidenced nonesense. The only instance that I have conscioulsy displayed behaviour that doesnt stand up to my own personal code of behaviour was addressing Tilly by his surname, for which I apologised. Is this so awful that I need to be chased off the board every time I post, which sadly is more infrequently than ever nowadays.

Yes it would be a dull board if we all agreed, which is why I did actually say this in my previous post before you felt the need to point out this to me - alomost if I hadnt said it.

Now, as you famously always have the need for the word, can I ask what your problem is with me? I have no reason to dislike you and I really dont want to have to be the subject of a post instead of the thread topic. What do you want me to do - stop posting, becuase it certainly feels that way to me.

[/quote]

Now Dezza. You came onto a thread last week and accused me of hounding another poster. When challenged you trawled the thread for any evidence you could find to suggest my posts don''t stand up to your own personal code of behaviour. You finally found something that really was quite harmless. There''s no need to behave like that. Life really is too short for this sort of personal vendetta.

I am quite happy that all my posts on this board are respectful and within the forum''s code of conduct. So in future if you report the ones that don''t stand up to your own personal code of behaviour and we''ll then find out if the owners of this board agree with you.

I don''t want you to "do" anything but would appreciate a little more respect from you on this forum.

[quote user="the bristol nest"][quote user="Mr Angry"]Just out of interest, does anyone know if any other club''s message boards have posters who are at each other''s throats as some of ours are?[/quote]

I tend to be a reader on here rather than a poster mainly due to the complaints made on this thread. NCFC Mad is quiet at times but has a fairly respectful tone. There''s plenty of banter from visiting fans.Certainly there is no geeky grammar police or critisism of OPs for their failure to adhere to non existant rules.

However as a life long fan who now lives away I do enjoy a lot of the debate on here and will try and actually contribute to healthy witty debate. I suppose that on Mad you can start a thread without fear of reprisal![/quote]

Leeds. all of them.

Nigel,I give up - I have tried asking you very nicely, but I really dont want to have ongoing debates when the subject is me and ''who said what about what they can post''  rather than about football or the club. Please stop now.I will in future do my best to not to participate on any thread that you are already posting as I cant stand any more of this.Please can you resepct my request as otherwise this is starting to feel like a bit too much like personal harassment.

It seems the ongoing debate was sparked by your opinion of me rather than this but whatever. I''d much rather you agreed to treat me respectfully Dezza. But if you leave me alone that''s fine by me too.[Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It seems the ongoing debate was sparked by your opinion of me rather than this but whatever. I''d much rather you agreed to treat me respectfully Dezza. But if you leave me alone that''s fine by me too.[Y]

[/quote]

Come on guys, shake hands, you''re both too good a posters to get involved like this.[}][{]

There are certain posters on here, which my mind auto reads their posts in a condescending tone. Even if they are attempting be reasonable....haa haa! First impressions last and all that. When you have read some people making a complete tube of themselves by slapping others down a few times, you cannot but help form an opinion on what type of person they are in real life. Mostly locked in the study, scared of the wife, appeasing their diminishing sense of manhood by putting those of mildly differing opinion to rights on the pinkun messageboard.

Ahhhhhh, warm the cockles doesn''t it? It''ll never die. Not as long as City have ''old grunters'' as we affectionately used to call them.

I remember some years ago I was working away and managed to get back for a weekend and grab a casual ticket in the river end with my mate. The whole game this cloth capped old boy sat in the row behind us, never cheered, never clapped, just moaned......alot. The best one, which he saw fit to shout out about twenty times was......"GET IN THE GAME, RIVERS!!" in an angry deeply Norfolk twang. We were pi**ing ourselves rselves by about the third time as it was just so loud that surely even rivers over on the right wing must have heard it. True enough, he was being a bit of a lazy t**t that day and hugging the right hand touch line just waiting for the ball to fall literally right at his feet (cheeks redder than a impending cardio patient) but that wasn''t the point. A couple of people said told him to wrap up and he seemed more that happy to engage them as to why Rivers needed a ''gee up!''

These sort off folks just seem endemic with supporters of NCFC and on here. I can''t remember too many moaners in the Barclay standing in the 80''s but have witnessed this kind of fan in some capacity, whereever I have sat, ever since. As a kid I thought it was a generational thing and that that kind of thing would eventually die off. No such luck, I''m afraid. it seems every generation has it''s ''get in the game Rivers!''

Now they have a superior platforms to operate from than merely yelling out their thoughts at the players on a Saturday afternoon.

As it does still make me giggle a bit though, one more time for luck "GET IN THE GAME, RIVERS!!"

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Come on guys, shake hands, you''re both too good a posters to get involved like this.[}][{]

[/quote]

Indeed Wiz. I''ll offer my hand to Dezza. You remind me that posters can still disagree and yet respect eachother. We do after all Wiz.