Sign in to follow this  
Gaz_in_NZ

What position and where did you play?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

A bit of pace.  Poor first touch.  Switches off when "marking".  Positionally suspect.  Usually playing at least one attacker onside. Couldn''t hit a cow''s ar$e with a banjo. 

Forget the Norfolk Cafu, I was the Norfolk Otsemobor.

[/quote]

You appear to be a bit of a Keith O''Neil,Robert Rosario,Andy Hughes,Mark Fotheringham,Gary Doherty and a Simeone Jackson rolled into one Mr.C.[:P]

Played centre mid (a la a very poor Xabi Alonso) for Cambridge United until 16 but two cruciates and acute tendonitis at 22 limit me to 5 a side now. Played for Cambridgshire (County schools) in the same team as Spillane and Pat Bexfield. Bexfield was always twice the player Spillane was, not quite sure how Spillane ended up at a League club.

I started playing when I was about 7yrs old for school and a small village team called Fersfield, my manager used to compare me to Glenn Hoddle fairly cultured and composed on the ball, I played on the right side of central midfield. I played for various kid''s teams, including  Bressingham,Wortwell. I then actually stopped playing for a while and started again when I was about 15-16 playing for local team, Dickleburgh on Sat''s and Sun''s, I had gained some pace by this time so Iwas pushed upfront and that is the position I still play in now. I had a few prolific seasons at Burston, and Eye United and I''m now playing Veterans in Long Stratton (along side a couple of ex pro''s, Peter Grant has just signed up). Never the best player but still fairly quick and always had the Knack of scoring goals wherever I have been. Just love playing footy.

Played most of my football in the Leicestershire leagues, played for a works team that won 85 consecutive games ( I was in and out of this team to be honest) and then played for a Sunday team that won consecutive promotions from leaugue 7 to league 1. Had a trial with Nottingham Forest aged 14 - probably thanks to Ian Storey Moore who lived very close to us when I lived in Nottingham. but didn''t impress Mr Clough enough. also trained with Shepshed Charterhouse but never played for them competitively

Moved back to Norfolk-moved back to watch City - had 1 season with Spixworth then just played Sunday''s - -  for Hainford YCOB. dipped in for the odd game for Overstrand Reserves (about 3 I think).

Started at school as a centre forward then moved backward eventually playing in goal or centre half.

Played for Lowestoft Town from the age of 15 to 22, im now 25. I played either left wing or center midfield. I was part of the youth team that for 3 years basically won everything that we could. We won our youth league three years on the trott and Lowestoft havent won it since our age group stopped. Played the majority of my football for Lowestoft Reserves but made enough appearences to get a Ridgeons League winners medal for the first team. Also played reguarly for suffolk.

Forgot to mention the best part of my time at Lowestoft was playing against Norwich, even if we did lose 8-0 i think. Safri (my favourite player at the time) scored a screamer and i was constantly chasing Jon Otsemoboors shadow (He played right wing that day). Just about the only decent result Peter Grant managed. I got Mickey Spillanes shirt at the end of the game (Hes in a relationship with my cousin and they have just had a baby girl).

My best years were spent in the boardroom with the finances, administration and looking aftet the tangible fixed assets.

Do any of you oldies play vets football now? I think the FA vets leagues are a real positive of these times.

I''m not so much an oldie Nutty (39) but I''m playing vet''s footy (Long Stratton). It''s actually a good standard of footy, you can see that some of these "lads" were real players once upon a time.

It is a good standard Charlie. And it''s great that the old boys can get strapped up and hobble out there. There''s been a few stars play in the vets league. I think Iwan Roberts and Darren Eadie both had a game for Cringleford last season.

I wouldn''t necessarily say he is a star, but Peter Grant has recently signed for us, whether he will play or not is a different matter. And we also have a lad called Damien Hilton who used to be on City''s books and has also played for Grasshoppers in Switzerland.

The rest of us are overweight and a bit rubbish but these 2 will see in good stead Nutty.

Granty will be amazing I bet.

Years ago I used to get a load of "old boys" out playing once in a while. Crazy stuff like a friendly at 10am on New Years Day. One of our drinking buddies back then used to be on Millwall''s books. And even at 10am on New Years Day with the mother of all hangovers you could see his class.

However he may have been the "new Harry Cripps" of his time but when I got him playing cricket he was scared of the ball[;)]

At the top of my game I played for AFC Wimbledon Reserves having played a few years for Sussex County Div 1 team Peacehaven and Telscombe. We played in the FA Cup, the FA Vase and had friendlies vs Portsmouth and Brighton.

In Norfolk, I started with Sprowston Lads, before moving to Hethersett.

In senior football, I played for CNSOBU when I was 16, then Newton Flotman, and a few brief appearances for Hempnall Ressies.

I''ve always been a striker, but captained my university 1st team as a centre back for 3 years.

Always played as a striker....started playing at school....for Norwich School First 11, then played for Preston Park in Brighton, then for FC Bosna Köln VFL Poll in Germany and now getting kicked about for FC Gararina in Dnepropetrovsk....although it is amusing to be classed as an international star in our teams monthly newsletter :)

Played right midfield when i was a kid

Right back at upper school

Centre back mainly but use 2play anywhere along the back line

Then cont as centre back/sweeper in mens

When at college got chatting to a guy who was an academy player at norwich, and when he found out i supported the club he said he could get me a trial as his uncle was a scout. Said no as was realistic in my footballing ability and was more interested in drinkin and girls lol.

[quote user="Hackedoff"] Said no as was realistic in my footballing ability and was more interested in drinkin and girls lol.[/quote]

But I take it you later changed your mind Keith O''Neill...

'''' I scored a really good goal against a team in the

year above: I got the ball inside my own half, flicked it up to our

striker in the centre circle, he headed it back to me and I hit it on

the half-volley from inside the centre circle and lobbed the keeper.''''Classic calriv, hope you get into a team by the weekend! Sign him up CH.We had a Vets (youngest player 46) side in my hometown of Albany, W. Australia called ''''The Ole Farts'''' but with no other ''''oldies'''' to play against some bright spark thought it would be a great idea to put us in the U-19''s league. Some may have thought that with all our years of playing history, superior knowledge of the game and being able to instinctively read the play that we may have done ok? Nope, we just chased shadows waiting for the bar to open at 5.Most of us did our knees in hey? My last game for The Ole Farts I was on the bench for about 4 minutes before someone went down injured and I got the call, running (sniggers) onto the mud bath of a ground I slipped over, fell on my left fist and cracked 3 ribs at the sternum....I''d technically punched myself !!!!

Played centre forward for school lakenham sec mod now Hewitt alongside steve Buttle who went on to play for Ipswich and city winger Stevie grapes, Got an injury in Bury cup final, kept me out for 18 months, discovered, women drinking norwich city end of my dream of playing fulltime lol, played up to county level as a kid, played local football at centre mid sundays as i followed city in those days fulltime.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Gaz_in_NZ"] Played right half and right wing for Paston Grammar in 68- 69-70 [/quote]

I played inside left for Paston Grammar who won the North East Norfolk Schools League in 1966.I Scored 23 goals in 16 games that year.

[/quote]Like the OP and Tilly also played for Paston Grammar School!  Was in between the sticks from about 1969-1973, being Capt of School 2nd XI in the 72-73 season.  Take great delight in telling my daughter that we thrashed Thorpe Grammar School as she has just started Thorpe St Andrew High.  Played against Ron Saunder''s son who was at the Hewett School.  Also played occasionally in the Norwich Lads League on a Saturday guesting for various sides.  Played for NALGO and Nalgo Terriers on Sundays for a number of years before hanging up my boots after playing in a charity 5-a-side match prior to a Norwich v. Palace home game at Carrow Road. Determined to play my last game at Carra Rud and succeeded!  At Paston also had Dick ''Balls in the middle round me come'' Stannard for PE and remember being unnerved by Graanny-Hill hanging round my goalposts.  Returned to Paston a couple of times to play for Vets against the School and found it strange to see girls playing hockey alongside us.  Was friends with Clive Baker who starred in goal even when he was 3 years below me.

Gaz, great idea for a post, it''s been really interesting reading everybody''s own personal football odyssey.

Mine is a bit different than most.

I starting playing at age 4 for a club in Queensland called Rochedale Rovers where I played in the U5''s team. By the time Under 7''s came around we had a champion team and went undefeated for the whole season. I believe we still hold the Qld record for the largest win ever being 21- 0 to this day.

I moved teams to Beenleigh Soccer Club in the late 70''s where I was picked to play for Qld School boys and club teams until the age of 17. I was picked for the Australian school boys in the 80''s (cannot remember what year it was, bit of old timers setting in). Back in those days in Australia there was not the set-up (certainly not in Queensland) that we have in Australia now. Parents were basically responsible for funding 80% of the entire cost. Myself and two other teammates were picked for the Australian squad and had too train twice a week with the cost being $80 per training session which obviously met costs such as equipment, uniforms, travelling, meals etc. Unfortunately, all three players chosen did not take up the offer as our parents could not afford to pay that all money. I guess back in those days that was alot of money on top of the usual expenses of life. Beenleigh was promoted to the Qld premier league and we turned semi-professional earning a small amount of money for wins etc.

My club wrote to a number of clubs in the UK for trials for me in 1990. Many did not respond but Blackburn wrote back kindly confirming I did not get a trial. I cannot remember whether the letter was during the Kenny Dalglish or Don Mackay period but either way it didn''t happen. I did have two positive responses that being from Coventry City and our own Norwich City. I travelled to the UK in 1991 as a 22 year old and had a seven day trial orgainsed with Coventry. I was cut after 4 days and I was taken into Terry Butcher''s office and he kindly gave me some insight into what I needed to work on in my game. We also spoke alot about Australia as at that stage he said he had property interests on the Sunshine Coast and was genuinly quite interested in Australia. I guess that come to fruition a bit later on when he was the Sydney FC manager. Anyway, I digress. 

I was staying with some friends in Norwich and organised the four day trial at Trowse. I was actually still there after 5 days and feeling that I was performing well. I unfortunately on the fifth day hurt my knee in a tackle which after the physios at City looked at it was diagnosed as a torn ACL. Thinking back on that time I think it might have been misdiagnosed in Australia as I hurt my knee in the first game of the 1991 season in Queensland. It was diagnosed as a twisted knee but it never really ever felt as strong after that inital injury. When I injured it again during the NCFC trial I think what I had done was partially torn the ACL in Australia but completed the job at Trowse.

I must say that NCFC were excellent to me as they knew I was over there effectively by myself so they put me through all their physios and got me back walking again which I guess cemented the love of the football club for me. After that I tried to keep fit and trained with Carrow FC for a while and tried to play but only lasted one game and obviously hurt the knee. So during the next 2 years I watched just about every NCFC game I could. Travelled to Anfield, Highbury,White Hart Lane, Molineaux, Luton (the old plastic pitch at Kenilworth Road) to name a few for league & Cup games. It was a great time (the Glory Years) really. I made some great friends and had some great experiences whilst I lived and work in Norwich. 

I must say that even though I quite obviously never made it any further than that as I footballer, I wouldn''t change it as not everybody gets to see the inner workings of a football club and be involved in that to the minimal extent that I was. I returned back to Australia in 1993 and had a resutruction of the right knee and have tried to play socially but I end up with calf and hamstring strains so I am know a golfer and rabid NCFC and Brisbane Roar (the club Michael Theoklitos plays for) fan. Watching my two sons play on weekends is great and teaching them different skills is fun.

I am heading back to the UK next April and will be hoping to hopefully get a game or two in at Carrow Road (if we can get tickets).   

All the best. 

Played central midfield throughout the majority of my playing time, though have played in goal, up front or in the back-line.

Gorleston Grammar U-14s, U-16s, U-18s (scored 5 in my first game for the U-14s when I eventually got into the side).

Fleggburgh U-18s (most notable game a 26-0 thrashing at the hands of Attleborough featuring a young winger by the name of John Fashanu).

Potter Heigham Reserves (drew against a Norwich Prison side in one of the Anglian cup rounds only to have to return to the prison again for the replay).

Ludham.

Bath University 3rd XI (returned home one Christmas to play with a colleague in a Norwich league side featuring Martin Peters).

Middlecroft FC (down in Gosport).

Lee-on-Solent BL.

Other most notable memory is that the City side of the 70s used to come and train in the grounds of the private school where I lived (Duncan Hall, Scratby). So the likes of Keelan, Foggo, Stringer, Forbes et al training there pre-season.

At school, centre back alongside Terry Butcher (sorry)

Lowestoft U15''s and scored from the half way line against Norwich (sorry again!)

[quote user="Rustyboy"]

At school, centre back alongside Terry Butcher (sorry)

Lowestoft U15''s and scored from the half way line against Norwich (sorry again!)

[/quote]

Binner!!! lol