Sign in to follow this  
Gaz_in_NZ

What position and where did you play?

As it''s pretty quiet on here I thought this may be interesting..... My first team was Kinsale Ave Primary in Hellesdon, I was 9y/o and it was 1966 and I played right-half but I really learned to play on the Rec in Drayton. Played right half and right wing for Paston Grammar in 68- 69-70 before moving to Perth, Western Australia.In Perth I played junior leagues and captained my high school, could use both feet equally well so I played both left wing or right wing, sometimes would switch wings constantly throughout games. I was selected in U-16 state squad.I always wanted to return to Norwich and play on the wing at Carrow Rd, this was always my dream growing up I was good but not that good though. I had knee injury in 1974 and had a cartilege removal which kept me out of the game for a year and I never recovered fully but i crazily played for another 15 years and had 5 more knee ops in that time!

Nice one!

Played for my school team (Thorpe St Andrew- in Norwich) in goal. My illustrious Sunday career took me to playing Centre Half for Hainford Chequers, and a brief Saturday spell in goal for Sprowston Athletic reserves, so, in summary, Carrow Road never truly entered my thinking!! Eventually swapped to Saturday rugby, where I was a lot more successful.

I''m still playing (I''m 15 y/o) so mine isn''t as impressive as yours.

Started when I was 5 (I think) playing a year up for Hemsby Hornets, as a right back, purely because there wasn''t a team in my age group yet. I played a few years there, then a team formed that was my age group so I went there and continued as a right back. We were constantly near the bottom of Division One (the top league of a three tiered system) but did win the Shield (sort of the Carling Cup) once, then got relegated.

They folded and our manager went in 2007 - and took most of our players, including myself - to Caister Roma who had just been promoted to Division One. First year there we finished 2nd in the league, I was still right back, then I went to right midfield and often central midfield. I preferred playing on the wing. The second year was terrible for me: the manager didn''t rotate, myself and two others found ourselves on the bench every single week. We finished 5th that year, in 2009.

In the next preseason I scored a really good goal against a team in the year above: I got the ball inside my own half, flicked it up to our striker in the centre circle, he headed it back to me and I hit it on the half-volley from inside the centre circle and lobbed the keeper. But once again I was constantly on the bench, and was getting annoyed. I frequently scored and assisted from the midfield. That year was my last year at Caister, as they folded.

I joined a Division Two (the leagues had been compressed, so now there was only two divisions) side where all my mates played but finished near the bottom of the league a lot of the time. This was my first ever year upfront, and in my first game against one of the best teams in the league I scored a hat-trick. I went on to score 31 goals in 21 games, which is ok. We finished 9th out of 12.

Then last year we got a load of new, good players who were our mates, and we really improved. I scored 36 goals in 22 games then, we finished 3rd, just outside the promotion places. We got to the semi-finals of the Shield, but got knocked out by a poor refereeing decisions - it was 1-1 away to a Division One side, and in the last few minutes one of their players dived in our box and somehow the ref thought it was a penalty. They scored it, and we lost 2-1.

But we always struggled getting a full team each week despite having fourteen players signed on. The deadline for getting a team for this coming season is today, and currently only nine players have signed on, so it''s looking doubtful we''ll have a team.

On a positive note, I''ve had two teams say that they''ll have me, but one''s an adult team and I''m not 16 until the end of January. No news on Ormesby having a team yet though. Doubt it.

''''But we always struggled getting a full team each week despite having

fourteen players signed on. The deadline for getting a team for this

coming season is today, and currently only nine players have signed on,

so it''s looking doubtful we''ll have a team.

On a positive note, I''ve had two teams say that they''ll have me, but

one''s an adult team and I''m not 16 until the end of January. No news on

Ormesby having a team yet though. Doubt it.

''''Let us know if you got your team by deadline hey. I''d say 36 goals in 22 games was very impressive no matter at what level !!! Keep it up!

In my younger days  (although I hasten to add I''m not that old, still!!)  I played out on the left hand side for Norwich having some success and was always, I thought, popular with the fans.   I scored quite afew, cutting in from the wing,  the best of which was against Man Utd when Best and Law were the front men, that day.............................it was like living in a dream world..............pardon?   It was a dream world?     Oh well......

When I was about 12 I used to be prolific up front for Eaton Eagles up the UEA. Played centre back for my school team despite being about 2 foot back then. Rejected offer from Barcelona, Manchester United and Kings Lynn in order to go Uni.

dabbled a little bit while I was still living in England as a GK. but when I moved to the US nearly 7 years ago, started playing with my school as a CB/fullback. in my senior year, last year, moved on to being a DMD in which we went 14 games undefeated ;)

[quote user="Gaz_in_NZ"] Played right half and right wing for Paston Grammar in 68- 69-70

[/quote]

I played inside left for Paston Grammar who won the North East Norfolk Schools League in 1966.I Scored 23 goals in 16 games that year.

Played most of my time in the forces, not to any great standard. Mostly played right midfield / right wing, until a slightly bobbly pitch (sand and gravel) in Kuwait saw off my cruciate ligament in my left knee. Played on a bit after rehab but it was never the same, and when I snapped the cruciate graft I decided it was time to hang up my boots.I really, really miss a 5 a side kick about, but can''t risk it, I have no donor ligament left lol.

Right midfield for Thorpe Hamlet Middle School, alongside Phil Mortimer (decent player, went to Hong Kong and then became a sports physio) and Stuart Deeley (sp?) - no idea where he is now but was reckoned to be a "great prospect".Right back for Leicester University 3rd team.A bit of pace.  Poor first touch.  Switches off when "marking".  Positionally suspect.  Usually playing at least one attacker onside. Couldn''t hit a cow''s ar$e with a banjo.  Forget the Norfolk Cafu, I was the Norfolk Otsemobor.

Still playing, not regularly, only when the team I run are short.

Usually right back or right wing, I''m not very good. Not git the engine for midfield.

Only thing I have never done is scored.... Not many playing days left at 31... It''s a young man''s game... Hope to get that elusive goal before I hang the boots up.

Already into coaching, looking to coach on Saturday mornings or early evenings. Fa qualified, 1st aid trained, hold a crb and the safeguarding children.... Happy to coach kids, girls, men, women, anyone.... Get in touch and I can supply a reference if needed...

Settled into defensive midfield for a few years now. Although I like to think I do a bit more than break up play!

I played for my middle school and high school - mainly as fullback.

Then whilst at 6th form I joined and played in the Christian League on Saturdays for Holy Trinity as a striker, being a young whipper-snapper back then (1998-2000). But I often felt a bit out of place in a mens league that almost felt a veterans league! I also played for Wensum Albion - again deployed as a striker though never prolific, a reasonable provider for others.

I then played left back, despite being right footed as I could pass and hoof with the occaisional good cross with my left, for my university.

In a gap year I played for and thoroughly enjoyed playing for James 1st for a very supportive team. Then back to uni where I was again left back due to a lack of naturally left footed players.

Moved to London and played for the Old Vaughanians in London where I really started to play midfield more often. I was then asked to run the 5th team (out of six).

Disaster struck in London with a messy break-up and then leaving a job I hated.

A move back to good ol'' Norwich brought me to the friendly league playing for the Gaga''s as a winger predominantly. Then after a clash of personality with a new manager I set up my own team with an old school friend and the rest they say is history. We are about to start our fourth season.

At 30 a few minor illnesses and issues have me working hard to be fit so am focusing on managing at the moment. CM or impact striker these days when I do play.

When I was younger I played GK quite alot, but I eventually moved up into central midfield, my brother (who sees me play the most) likes to compare me to Bradley Johnson because of my work rate, tackling and the amount of power (not necessarily accuracy) I can put behind a shot, although my Brother thinks that I''m a better passer than Johnson (!)

16 years sunday league centre-half (old skool style, take the ball, the player, kick anything that moves, kick things that didnt move to try move it!). Hellesdon, Sprowston, Brooke, Trowse, Horsford pub teams. Also 10 years saturday morning christian league, with honour of first player to ever be sent off for 1 team (unchristian language to the ref!)

Dislocated both ankles (separate occasions), broke 3 toes (none were mine), busted knee forced me to stop about 4 years ago, was gutted!

TIL 1010...''''I played inside left for Paston Grammar who won the North East

Norfolk Schools League in 1966.I Scored 23 goals in 16 games that year.
"Did you have Dick Stannard as sports master then? If I remember correctly he was more of a hockey player. Mr Grantham Hill used to take us for cricket. I played for Paston against a touring West Ham schoolboys 11 maybe in 1969, we just chased shadows al game and went down 0-8, I was pleased as punch because I had the only shot on their goal from about 40 yards that bounced twice into the keepers hands!0-8 was the biggest thrashing I experienced, and 18-0 the biggest victory! 18 goals and I was playing right wing and never scored one!!!Football teams in Australia were predominantly based along ethnicity in the 70''s and 80''s, I played for Stirling City in Perth which was largely made up ofUK immigrants, we played against teams such as Cracovia (Polish) Finn Harps (Irish) Morley Windmills (Dutch) Inglewood Kiev (Russian) and Azzurri (Italian) to name a few. I played a cup final in Perth which was a lead up game to Western Australia v Wolverhampton Wanderers and I got to meet the great Hugh Curran. I also played a lead up match to Moscow Dynamo v W Australia and got to shake hands with Yashin the wonderful goalkeeper. It''s been great to read other posters football experiences. Times and the game have naturally changed a hell of a lot over my lifetime eg I was knocked out by a water laden ball at Paston, went up for a header and got it terribly wrong and had the laces crown me stupid !The positions I played also sway my thoughts on the game, I do not know how to defend at all, it''s just attack, attack, attack as the best means of defence, being a winger for so many years it was all about getting the ball to the line and crossing or cutting inside and taking diagonal runs. It''s great to see City with 2 wingers again.

Centre forward

Youth

Taverham

Drayton

Firside

Adult

Horsford utd

Horsford social

Watton (herts)

One game at centre back for stevenage fans FC (yeah

I know)

Right wing -- Heartsease junior, Hainford junior, Sprowston secondary, Aylsham secondary, Aylsham youth, Hainford in the Anglian Combination, Frettenham Sunday, Aylsham Wanderers, Wroxham, Gothic, Norwich City youth in the South East Counties (Ceased playing football for 13 years through cruciate knee injury and work commitments) North Elmham, Billingford & Beeston.

[quote user="Shyster"]Right wing -- Heartsease junior, Hainford junior, Sprowston secondary, Aylsham secondary, Aylsham youth, Hainford in the Anglian Combination, Frettenham Sunday, Aylsham Wanderers, Wroxham, Gothic, Norwich City youth in the South East Counties (Ceased playing football for 13 years through cruciate knee injury and work commitments) North Elmham, Billingford & Beeston.[/quote]

Blimey Shyster, no chance of you getting a testimonial

Played up front for jarrolds, high cross, amber athletic and dancing farmers. Used to be alright, 500 ish Sunday league goals all told. Getting old and fat has led to retirement now tho.

Interesting thread - gives an insight whether people really do have some knowledge over the finer points of the game.  Looking back you could say I started at the top and then sank to oblivion. 

I was left footed and rather gangly so played up front on the left at Attleborough Middle School, alongside one John Fashanu (apologies for name dropping but it is true)!  Also had the same position with the local cub pack.  In my teens played Centre Half for various Attleborough youth teams, whilst still playing up front on the left for my school (Thetford Grammar).  Following a bad injury when I was 16, which destroyed the ligaments in my left ankle, after that competitive matches were really beyond me, but continued to turn out at left back during my twenties for various works teams, before moving inside during my thirties to play centre half again, although my ankle only allowed me to do this about once a month.  Now passing on my knowledge to my sons U9 team in Sheffield.

Centre forward for the now defunct Dilham Utd in the NE Norfolk league in the late 1960''s and 70''s

Carried on playing till the 1990''s after moving away from Norfolk but forced to quit after back and hip gave way.

Years of abuse from agricultural centre halves !!

[quote user="Gaz_in_NZ"]TIL 1010...''''I played inside left for Paston Grammar who won the North East Norfolk Schools League in 1966.I Scored 23 goals in 16 games that year. "

Did you have Dick Stannard as sports master then? If I remember correctly he was more of a hockey player. Mr Grantham Hill used to take us for cricket. [/quote]

Spot on Gaz and incidently the school football shirts were yellow and green quarters.

Mentioned it may be happening in my post earlier in the thread, but Ormesby have now folded, so for the time being I have no team. The first game of the season is this coming Sunday.

Trying to get something sorted with Gorleston Rangers, but I think you''re allowed to play the first two matches unregistered anyway. Fingers crossed.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Right midfield for Thorpe Hamlet Middle School, alongside Phil Mortimer (decent player, went to Hong Kong and then became a sports physio) and Stuart Deeley (sp?) - no idea where he is now but was reckoned to be a "great prospect".

Right back for Leicester University 3rd team.

A bit of pace.  Poor first touch.  Switches off when "marking".  Positionally suspect.  Usually playing at least one attacker onside. Couldn''t hit a cow''s ar$e with a banjo. 

Forget the Norfolk Cafu, I was the Norfolk Otsemobor

[/quote]

LMFAO - I actually did laugh out loud when I read that! Touché sir!

lol beautiful

My first memory of playing football is for Horsford Youth in the early 2000''s. Started off out field then moved on to be a keeper for a few years. Didn''t make the squads for Horsford Youth for a few years and then a new club in Horsford was started (Horsford All Saints) so I joined them for a season in 06/07 as a Striker/Attacking Mid. Moved house to Sprowston, so played for Sprowston 07/08. 08/09 I took a break from football because I just wasn''t getting the game time (main rule of being a striker from my experience at youth level is if you don''t score a hat-full every game you sit on the bench. An ethos I totally go against as a coach). Then in my final year at youth level in the 09/10 season I played for Old Catton which was probably my best season at a youth club due to the fact that it was a laugh and I got a fair bit of game time. I wasn''t the best player by a long shot, but in my opinion I never got many opportunities right from a young age and always tried 100%. Since youth level i''ve completed my basic refereeing course and level 1 coaching badge and until recently helped run a club at Horsford Youth which I had to give up due to moving away for work. The negatives from my experience is that I was never really given a chance, the positives are that I think it has allowed me to be more empathetic towards players that aren''t the best and has improved me as a coach.

Cetnre Back for school and clubs.

Started at Kirkley High and represented county level a few times (Suffolk)

Played for Corton in Anglian Combintion and involved in trials with Oxford and Northampton. Got a second call back to Oxford, where mr Maurice Evens was nice and honest with me and said "although I was technically good I would never make it professionally while he had a hole in his ar5e!" he was correct and I completed my engineering apprenticeship and went offshore never to play again after the age of 21, just the odd game here and there.

went to wymondham college where football was banned, being a rugby school in those days, so as a kid i played very little football. joined the RAF at 16 and played in such far flung places as singapore, bahrain, berlin, gibraltar and scotland, either as a right winger or later as a left back. like previous posters, i was just about adequate for the level i played at and have no memories of ever scoring a goal.