Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Murray

If that tw*t Hadrian had done his job properly in the first place we wouldn''t have this problem.

Also we wouldn''t have a load of Scottish MP''s in London, happily making English laws whilst moaning that they want to be independent.

Did I say that out loud?

[quote user="Gingerpele"]And in answer to your question, because Scotland have their own national anthem. [/quote]Er no it doesn''t, Scotlands national anthem is "God save the Queen". Perhaps you are confused over the Scots singing of "Flower of Scotland" at sporting events, this song was written in the 1960''s and adopted as an anthem primarily by the Scottish Rugby team anthemic yes, but a national anthem it most certainly is not.Is this a bad place to mention that "The Union" came about quite peacefully despite all the Anglo/Scots battles (of which the aforementioned Bannockburn was but one and far from the last victory for the Scots) when King James VI of Scotland succeeded Elizabeth I of England to the English throne in 1603. That''s right the English didn''t seize the throne of Scotland and force the Union upon the Scots it was in fact the other way round, the English King James the first was already King James the Sixth of Scotland  so if anyone should be anti Union it should be the English though admittedly a few ill educated Scots still fail to grasp the fact that the house of Stuart created the Union by taking the throne of England from the English......Back to Murray: Last three major tournaments:- Runner up Wimbledon, Gold medal Olympics, winner US open. I suspect even the "hard of thinking" will soon have to drop the "choker" and "loser" tags they''ve mistakenly attached to him.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]A few others didn''t sing the National Anthem at the Olympics (although perhaps the most prominent example is Wiggins, not sure what nationality he wants to be, he was born in Belgium apparently, no idea if his parents were English, Scottish or what). [/quote]I don''t think he wants to be any other nationality. I could be wrong here but I suspect Wiggo is not a huge fan of the royal family and that is why he didn''t sing. It is a personal choice and it doesn''t mean he is not proud to represent his country. Really chuffed for Andy Murray. He was never a choker as so many people liked to label him. He just lacked that little something to get the job finished against some of the greatest tennis players the world has ever seen. Something has changed in him to give him that little extra confidence in his ability that all the true greats have. Whether it is hiring Lendl as a coach, the whole Olympic experience or some other aspect of his life we''ll probably never know. Whatever it is he deserves our respect but of course I wouldn''t expect him to get any of that around here.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Gingerpele"]A few others didn''t sing the National Anthem at the Olympics (although perhaps the most prominent example is Wiggins, not sure what nationality he wants to be, he was born in Belgium apparently, no idea if his parents were English, Scottish or what). [/quote]

I don''t think he wants to be any other nationality. I could be wrong here but I suspect Wiggo is not a huge fan of the royal family and that is why he didn''t sing. It is a personal choice and it doesn''t mean he is not proud to represent his country.

Really chuffed for Andy Murray. He was never a choker as so many people liked to label him. He just lacked that little something to get the job finished against some of the greatest tennis players the world has ever seen. Something has changed in him to give him that little extra confidence in his ability that all the true greats have. Whether it is hiring Lendl as a coach, the whole Olympic experience or some other aspect of his life we''ll probably never know. Whatever it is he deserves our respect but of course I wouldn''t expect him to get any of that around here.
[/quote]

Shack.. Why do so many posters do their damnest to put this place down. I haven''t really seen anyone disrespect Murray. But however hard some people try and argue otherwise he''s not English. I actually feel sorry for the Scots over this because we didn''t want to claim him while he lost[;)]

I''d be quite happy to be British just like I''m happy to be European and a citizen of the world. I am as proud of Usain Bolt as I am Andy Murray. Total respect to both of them but they are not English.

And the reason why so many people believed he made anti-English comments was because that''s what the Scots, Welsh and Irish do. They are proud of their nationality and resent being grouped togather with the English. In my opinion most of the "British resentment" comes from the other countries in the union.

One of the reasons the olympics was great was that it was possible to be British again.

MURRAY IS ANTI-BRITISHIt''s not a hoax from the papers. I remember one of his interviews when he first played at Wimledon & he wasn''t happy at all the support from the English reminding everyone he was Scottish. He soon changed his tune I would presume from advice & media training.All you have to do is look at his sponsors & color schemes in his clothes for the last few years. Royal bank of Scotland, Highland Springs etc ...Doesn''t bother me though the boy would rather bring glory back to his home nation of Scotland that the English jump on his bandwagon & label him British.

[quote user="Crispy"]MURRAY IS ANTI-BRITISHIt''s not a hoax from the papers. I remember one of his interviews when he first played at Wimledon & he wasn''t happy at all the support from the English reminding everyone he was Scottish. He soon changed his tune I would presume from advice & media training.

[/quote]

I''m sorry this is just wrong.    Murray is a proud Scotsman - and why shouldn''t he be.   He used to get annoyed when people called him English, that''s all.  American press, interviewers -  there were people who kept calling him English, either through ignorance or just a slip of the tongue.   You can understand why he would want to correct them.   The anti-British thing is just a hype from the media who latch on to little things, twist them and all of a sudden people take it as fact.  

That is why people should not believe what they read in the papers.   

He''s a brilliant player. His obvious dedication and work ethic is to be admired.

I''ve never had a problem with the guy. I don''t feel the need for him to be a charismatic entertainer, he''s there to win games of tennis the way he feels suits him best.

He''s a competitor and away from the court I would suspect he''s probably a pretty decent fella.

[quote user="paul moy"]Well done Murray !! Let''s celebrate British success.[/quote]

Well said Paul...along with all the British athletes in the Olympics and Paralympics - great Summer for British sport only let down by the usual England defeat in a penalty shoot out!

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="paul moy"]Well done Murray !! Let''s celebrate British success.[/quote]

Well said Paul...along with all the British athletes in the Olympics and Paralympics - great Summer for British sport only let down by the usual England defeat in a penalty shoot out!

[/quote]

On the contrary, Lord Horn, there is only one sport that matters and at that we lost 2-0 to the South Africans.

To the claim he''s being labeled British by the English. That''s how all English, Scottish and Welsh tennis players are labeled, Henman was British, that half Canadian player was British. It''s how it works in Tennis.

I''m Scottish and proud to be so. I also loved living in Norfolk and was truly sorry to have to move on due to work. I''m also proud to support Norwich. I also loved the Olympics, and I can assure you all that the very full pub I was in, predominantly Scots, when the likes of Mo Farrah and Vicky Pendleton were winning golds was going absolutely bananas as they clinched their medals. I don''t see any conflict in any of that and, in my experience, it''s only a tiny, tiny fraction of sad people in Britain who genuinely dislike the english, the scots, the welsh or whatever.

Banter, on the other hand, exists at every turn and is what keeps most of us sane. Yeh I loved to wind up my english friends and workmates when the team failed at rugby, football or cricket, but knew I''d get it back with interest when Scotland achieved their latest epic fail. That''s got nothing to do with disliking the people I engaged in this banter with - arguably it proves the reverse.

The "Murray being anti-English" issue arose from precisely this - a journo taking some banter completely out of context, the unreported bit was that Lineker and Henman were asking him how Scotland would get on at the forthcoming world cup finals (in 2010 - when scotland as usual hadn''t qualified) and he retorted with a comment about supporting whoever england were up against. Banter, folks...

The only hole I can see in this argument is when I apply it to scum-related matters......

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Lord Horn"]

[/quote]

On the contrary, Lord Horn, there is only one sport that matters and at that we lost 2-0 to the South Africans.

[/quote]

Ah Purple, is that the sport that is the equivalent of watching paint dry???? [:D]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]To the claim he''s being labeled British by the English. That''s how all English, Scottish and Welsh tennis players are labeled, Henman was British, that half Canadian player was British. It''s how it works in Tennis.[/quote]

If you look at a person''s passport we are British English, British Welsh, British Scottish etc etc.   Why people have difficulty with that I don''t know.  But I do know that it is a bit of an insult if you call a Scottish person English which is what sometimes happens in foreign media who don''t have a full understanding of the situation.    Its not just in tennis either.  Its the same for any national sport where we call people British.  British is factual, just as calling someone Scottish, Welsh etc.  

Murray is British. Fred Perry was British. Simples.

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Lord Horn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah Purple, is that the sport that is the equivalent of watching paint dry???? [:D]

[/quote]

WHS!!

Love him hate him, you cant ignore him best British player in 70 plus years, btw how come all the Athletes in the Olympics were deemed BRITISH heroes did not see anyone moan or groan. People said he was not good enough, his was a choker, would never win a major, guess what knockers, you are all wrong. Well done Andy hope there is many more to come.

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Lord Horn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lord Horn, if there was a heaven that is the sport  you would find yourself watching there...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Lord Horn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lord Horn, if there was a heaven that is the sport  you would find yourself watching there...

[/quote]

Lucky I''m an atheist then!!  [;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Shack.. Why do so many posters do their damnest to put this place down. I haven''t really seen anyone disrespect Murray. But however hard some people try and argue otherwise he''s not English. [/quote]

There is more evidence of people showing disrespect to Andy Murray on this thread than there is of anyone trying to claim he is English which nobody has done. Do you think that the following is not slightly disrespectful to a man who this year has been runner-up at Wimbledon and has won Olympic gold and the US Open?

[quote user="ricardo"]I''ve nothing against him personally but nobody ever lost much money betting against him in a final.Typical Scot, great fighter but seemingly always doomed to experience the agony of hope.[/quote]

What the hell is a ''typical Scot'' anyway? No doubt the majority on here think of this and all the b0llocks about him being ''anti-English'', ''having no personality'' and the various Jock ''jokes'' is banter. But to me it is disrespectful towards a man who has done something that no other British tennis player has done for seventy years. Maybe it is that ''little Norwich'' mentality again? If only they could bring that nice Tim Henman back out of retirement.

Why do people put this place down? I used to defend this forum and suggest that those moaning about it should put more effort into raising standards but frankly I can''t be arsed anymore. I''m not sure whether the tiresome trolls with their half baked rumours and obvious wind ups or the forum bully boys who gang up on any dissenting voices annoy me more these days. What I do know if that is very rare that I even bother posting these days and that my last post is probably not that far away.

Well now Shack, the place will be poorer without your input. I can understand frustration to a point but you are mr angry on this thread and I think are misunderstanding some views. I guess it''s a folorn hope but there is a basis here for a reasonable debate. Perhaps not totally on Norwich City topic but I would think related enough for the board''s mother-in-laws to leave alone. I hope when your last post is sounded you just dift off into the sunset and don''t make a great big point of flouncing off like some do. That would be insulting to the rest of us which includes a lot of great posters.

Exactly why is this thread on this MB anyway ?

Anyway, it is, so here’s my two penny worth : my take on Andy Murray is that he was over zealous in his assertion of his Scottishness and equally his snarling rejection of the idea that he was English to the extent that, understandably, many people interpreted this as anti-Englishness. The same people were then astonished by what appeared to be a U turn in his attitude and unsurprisingly took this to mean that someone, probably from the world of PR, may have had a word in his ear suggesting that it might not be a bad idea to engender support from all the British and not just whip up support from the Scots. Then, the other day at the US open, seeing him supported by that grand old Shcottish gentleman Sean Connery who also, and I might be mistaken, seemed to re-discover his Scottishness at the same time as his acting career was focussed upon the American market, and that friend of the Scotch distilleries, Sir Alex, made me word whether “ the worm was turning” and perhaps Andy Murray was starting to feel that he had now had a stronger “drop dead” mandate to start emphasising his Scottishness again. Call me cynical if you like but that’s my impression. Undoubtedly a great tennis player but I’m afraid I just don’t like him.

[quote user="Wiz"]Why do I want to give his mother a slap?[/quote]

Because she is too old to keep giving little Andy bitty milk?

If this country is under attack we all fight together to defend it, we have Scotch, Irish, Welsh in the British army if we are good enough to die together we are good enough to be British together. As i said we did not look at Athletes in the Olympics and want them to win only if they were English. Murray has worked hard for his success, he is not out for laughs or to be popular thats what winners are like. He is unlucky yo be born in an era of 3 other great players but has won more in 6 months than Henman did in his whole career.

[quote user="ricky knight"]If this country is under attack we all fight together to defend it, we have Scotch, Irish, Welsh in the British army if we are good enough to die together we are good enough to be British together. As i said we did not look at Athletes in the Olympics and want them to win only if they were English. Murray has worked hard for his success, he is not out for laughs or to be popular thats what winners are like. He is unlucky yo be born in an era of 3 other great players but has won more in 6 months than Henman did in his whole career.[/quote]

I don''t think anybody would disagree with anything you say. Murray has literally made millions of pounds from being a loser, as did "Come on Tim" Henman, so it will become a sweet feeling for him to win even more millions of pounds from being a winner.

[quote user="ricky knight"]If this country is under attack we all fight together to defend it, we have Scotch, Irish, Welsh in the British army if we are good enough to die together we are good enough to be British together. [/quote]

But when did it change Ricky. That''s what I was trying to work out in this thread. You''re my age, only obviously I look much younger than you, so you will remember that the national flag of which we were so proud was the Union Jack. The flag made up of the different countries flags I believe. I can''t remember seeing the George Cross at all. In fact I''ve found two pictures in my quest to understand. The first one is the 1966 World Cup final and the second won is Euro96. Now at some point between the two us English ditched the union flag for our own. When and why did it happen?

[IMG]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="ricky knight"]If this country is under attack we all fight together to defend it, we have Scotch, Irish, Welsh in the British army if we are good enough to die together we are good enough to be British together. [/quote]

But when did it change Ricky. That''s what I was trying to work out in this thread. You''re my age, only obviously I look much younger than you, so you will remember that the national flag of which we were so proud was the Union Jack. The flag made up of the different countries flags I believe. I can''t remember seeing the George Cross at all. In fact I''ve found two pictures in my quest to understand. The first one is the 1966 World Cup final and the second won is Euro96. Now at some point between the two us English ditched the union flag for our own. When and why did it happen?

[IMG]

[/quote]

Good post and illustration. Perhaps it happened because of a gradual realisation that the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish did not want our support but, rather, intensely disliked us instead ! This was a slow and rude awakening for me. I can remember as a child and teenager always supporting the Scots etc but now I couldn''t give a sandcastle flag for them.

[quote user="Wiz"]Why do I want to give his mother a slap?[/quote]I don''t know.  Because you think hitting women is acceptable?She''d kick your ar$e, that''s for certain.

Well i am a Brit and proud maybe its because i come from Irish descent. As for Murray being a loser over twenty tournament wins, 5 major finals, 1 major win, Olympic gold and silver medalist, only the 4th man in history to win USA Junior and Senior some loser that and bet he will win more majors in the coming years. Henman, Mottram, Lloyd, ,Ruseski All their wins would not add up to Murray''s and still only 25..As for his Ma being annoying hands up who would not back their child if they had a talent.