Sign in to follow this  
Tj

Best Goal for and against Norwich

Was about to mention Steeno! Safri vs Newcastle is worth a mention too. I appreciate it''ll hardly top any lists but I loved what I believe was Holty''s first for the club against Yeovil where about 5 opponents literally bounced off him before drilling it into the far corner from 25 yards.

Had the misfortune to be at the Bridge to witness Zola''s back heel first hand, incidentally it was also the last time I gambled. Given our performance in the previous game that we should have won I couldn''t resist a cheeky pound on a City 1-0 with Malky to score at 400/1

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Was about to mention Steeno! Safri vs Newcastle is worth a mention too. I appreciate it''ll hardly top any lists but I loved what I believe was Holty''s first for the club against Yeovil where about 5 opponents literally bounced off him before drilling it into the far corner from 25 yards. Had the misfortune to be at the Bridge to witness Zola''s back heel first hand, incidentally it was also the last time I gambled. Given our performance in the previous game that we should have won I couldn''t resist a cheeky pound on a City 1-0 with Malky to score at 400/1[/quote]

Another wonderful goal that I was lucky enough to be there to see. Probably the best of it''s type I''ve seen.

For? I would have to say Safri or Pacheco smashing in the fith against RIPswich, just because of how exciting it was.

Like most people, Zola''s goal was just amazing. Could not resist clapping at that, and I never clap at opponents goals, even in friendlies.

No one else for Jarvis vs Liverpool? :)

I watched the Steeno goal on Youtube the other day, it wasn''t from as far out as I remember it being.

[quote user="rock bus"]

One of my favourite goals was Marc Libra on his debut against Man City at home.

It was just about his first touch where he lifted the ball over his shoulder, turned and then hit it on the volley in to the back of the net (or at least thats my hazy recollection!!)

Really thought it was the start of something special

Was particularly important from a personal level as I was sat in the stands next to my Man City supporting brother!

[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2yiyIXjrSA

For: Goss''s away at Leeds about 93. Brilliant team goal from one end of the pitch to the other, with Goss smashing it in on the vollley. Even the Leeds Sc*m fans applauded that one.

Against: Tony Currie''s for QPR in (I think) the early 80s. One of their players took a corner at the Barclay end and Currie just volleyed it straight into the net from the edge of the box.

Many of my favourites (Safri, Hucks) has been mentioned. Dean Ashton''s goal against ManCity was a superb strike, great touch of the ball in the air.Against: Suarez''s third against Liverpool.

One of my favourite Norwich goals was Holt''s goal against Everton at Goodison. I must admit I never believed he had that level of ability in him. About 3 men around him, turned magnificently then threaded it past both Howard and Baines on the line. Sheer genius and if a glamour player like Rooney had scored it pundits would still be dribbling over that one.

As for screamers I remember Gareth Williams getting an absolute piledriver for Leicester against us during the Worthy years. That would probably get my nomination.

Jimmy Bone at Stamford Bridge when he dribbled the ball round most of the Chelsea defence before rounding the keeper and slotting it home. Absolutely brilliant.  We lost 3-1 though.  Game wasn''t on TV so no record of it unfortunately.  Was similar to Eddie Grays famous goal against Burnley from the early 70s when he waltzed round their defence before scoring.

[quote user="Tj"]

As the title suggests, what was the best goal you''ve seen Norwich score, and the best goal scored agains us at a game you were at?

For

The Jerry Goss goal against Liverpool in front of the old kop, still sends shivers down my spine.

Against

Cyril Regis''s goal against us in the 82 FA cup game, I was 11 years old with my Dad, we were almost level with him when he took his shot, still remember my jaw hitting the ground as the ball went in...... totally gutted and impressed at the same time. [:)]

[/quote]

As soon as I saw the title, I thought "That bloody goal that Cyril Regis scored for West Brom against us". Am sure we got absolutely stuffed 5-1 or something. I thought it was a league game but not sure. Anyway, it was sickening to see that go over the top of Chris Woods (?)

Goal for:

Without a doubt, Fashanu against Liverpool  years ago. I''ve seen good since: Goss Vs B. Munich (both home & away), Needergaad Vs Cov in ''03-''04 ish, Safri''s Vs Newcastle in THAT year. etc but Fash''s was so audacious & his salte was as though he was saying "yeah, I knew that was going in, I do it everyday in training".

Oh, then there''s Jerry Goss'' goal Vs Leeds where even the Leeds fans are seen applauding!!

Against us? I seem to remember Gregan lobbing the keeper (was it Greeno?!) from within his own half whilst playing for Preston.  Mightily impressed with that i have to say.

Just to shift the focus of the thread slightly, who do we think was the best cumulative scorer of spectacular goals for us? Jerry Goss is an obvious candidate but I remember John Ryan scoring numerous brilliant thunderbolts, so he would be my nomination.

Ewans Bergkampesque two-footed juggle and volley at Portaloo Road was a bit special (bet he couldn''t do it agian if he tried). Sutton''s goal at the Dell on Boxing Day, Jon Newsome''s winner against Blackburn when they''d just signed Sutton (complete fluke, slipped and fell on his ''rse but got his toe under the ball and lobbed Flowers from 30  yards). Winner has to be Fash - was right at the front in the Barclay in the gap between the two pens (just to right of the goal looking at the pitch).

Hucks scored some great goals. The one against Brum is well documented on here but the volley at the Hockey Stadium was really special as was the "farewell goal" against Cardiff. John Ryan''s a good shout, he scored some belters.

John Ryan had an amazing shot. Usual suspects all mentioned above, glad someone mentioned Flecky''s vs Millwall which was Fashanu like and on live TV. Libbra''s was a special moment. Rosario''s was just so out of character- the guy was a beanpole and normally just sat in the middle waiting for the ball so to run so far with it like he did that day made it more amazing. 

One that sticks in my mind for some reason is Greg Downs who in the dark recesses of my memory I have scoring a long distance thunderbolt, I think against Cambridge Utd, maybe in a Cup match. Dear old Greg didn''t score that many, but if I have this wrong I''ll put it down to the fog of time and old age. Anyone else remember this?

The Zola one against us just has to be the best goal against. every time Chelsea play in the Cup it gets rolled out again and it still mesmerises me every time I see it. I can''t get eanywhere near doing just just mucking around in the garden!

This made me track down Ekoku''s big day out at Goodison back in our absolute pomp ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmcvIUr0gVQ

About 1.40 into this he bags his fourth with superb skill and control – not the greatest goal ever but very good and part of a show of real strength away to a big club.