Sign in to follow this  
AndyJR

Ref! Made me smile....

The Football Association

suspended referee Brian Savill for seven weeks after he intervened to help out Wimpole 2000 when losing 18-1 in a Great Bromley Cup game away to Earls Colnes'' reserve team in 2001.

"The ball came over from a corner, the Wimpole forward headed it and it came to me," Savill told BBC Radio Five Live. "I chested it down, or armed it down, and the ball bounced up and I just volleyed it into the net."

He added: "I went roaring up the field, blowing the whistle and signalling a goal. There were about 20 or 30 people watching. Half were standing there in bewilderment and the other half were clapping and laughing. An Earls Colne player shook my hand and said, ''Well done!'' It was done in a good humour - Wimpole were getting thrashed."

Wimpole eventually lost 20-2 and Savill, accusing the authorities of having "no sense of humour", resigned in protest at his suspension.

[quote user="Phyxius"]You missed out the part where Earls Colne missed out on promotion that season by goal difference.[/quote]Cup game

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Why does not the action of a Football Association surprise me? This used to be the people''s game. Whose is it now?[/quote]

Credit to the ref, love the story.  Daft response by the FA shows how out of touch they are.