Sign in to follow this  
Pabs

Starting XI versus West Ham

A lot of people will ask why change the team, and for the most part I am in agreement, but for the West Ham game I would like Kane to be given a chance from the start.  It will give everyone a boost with a fresh, new player in the team and could give the crowd a lift too.  I also think he sounds an exciting prospect - plus Jackson has been all over the place for Canada and may be tired.Team - Ruddy; Martin, Barnett, Bassong, Garrido; Johnson, Howson, Snodgrass, Pilkington; Holt, Kane.Subs - Bunn, R Bennett, Tettey, Surman, Jackson, Morison, Hoolahan.Not sure if Butterfield, Fox, E Bennett etc are ready...but all the same choosing that 18 is really difficult!

I''d happily go along with that suggestion Pabs, although it could be argued that Moro should get the chance over Kane but he was also on international duty (if not as far flung as Jackson).It does give CH a chance to see how Kane does in a proper match, and against one of the weakest opponents in the league.I also think we''re likely to see Tettey come on at some point, probably for Johnson tbh.

Isn''t it also making the case for this friendly game of the players who stay at home after not being called up?

I would keep the same with tettey pushing b Johnson and Morison pushing Jackson. They would be the only two changes I can see.

People saying they''d take Johnson out of the starting 11?!?! He was one of the best players on the park at Spurs, probably the best I can remember him playing for us! I''d go with the same that started at Spurs, unless Jacko is tired then I''d bring Morro in, who I thought did a decent job when he came on at Spurs

Yeah, I don''t think Johnson is in danger of losing his place. He''s probably been our best player so far and turned in a fantastic performance against last time out at Spurs. He might get taken off later in the game to give someone else (like Tettey) a run but to drop him would be very harsh and I can''t see CH doing it.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]It does give CH a chance to see how Kane does in a proper match, and against one of the weakest opponents in the league..[/quote]

Don''t know where people get the idea that West Ham are weak in any way.     Imo there really are no weaker teams this season.  Every match is going to be against tough opponents. It kind of goes against that attitude of treating every game the same.    As soon as you label something as being weak you are increasing the pressure on yourself to beat them.    This happened last season with some fans and it really didn''t help.  

I think we should play every team as if they are the strongest team in the league -   that way you will get the best performance from our players.  Points are going to be hard to come by for every team this season - I don''t think even the top clubs are going to get it all their own way.  We simply have to keep  away from any idea that some matches are going to be more important in terms of points than any other.    

West Ham weaker than anyone else?    I think it''s a dangerous idea.  

Have to expect a very hard game on Saturday (anything less is a bonus).

Andy Carroll being out injured would appear to be a big loss for them and hopefully that will turn out to be the case.

I wouldn''t mind us starting with Kane and Jackson up front. We must go for a win and use our paciest and trickiest players against West Ham. An early goal against a defensive team will settle our nerves and allow us to go on to win. 442 please and show no respect to the opposition  !!

Ruddy

Martin            Bassong                     Barnett            Garrido

Bennett           Howson (Cpt)                 Johnson            Snodgrass

Morison                  Jackson

Subs:   Bunn,   Tierney,   Tettey,   Surman,   Pilkington,   Kane,   Holt

[quote user="lake district canary"]West Ham weaker than anyone else?    I think it''s a dangerous idea.[/quote]It''s all relative thought LDC.If West Ham were just as good as any other team, then they''d be on the same odds as Man City to win the league and they''re clearly a million miles away from that.Whilst many of the teams expected to be in the bottom half this season are much of a muchness, I still think there are those sides who just don''t have as much quality as their competitors, and West Ham are one of those sides.I''d probably only take Jarvis, Nolan or Carroll from their current team, (and they don''t even own Carroll for that matter), whereas in every other position I think we have better players. Does this make West Ham a weaker team than us? IMHO it does purely by definition alone.We all know that there are no guarantees or absolutes in football, but we also know that some teams are generally superior to others, so even if we accept that West Ham don''t have a bad side, compared to those around them I would class it as one of the weaker squads, and I think it''s much the same with Southampton and Reading, as whilst they might now have strong financial backing, their current squads are nothing special and I''d take our overall group over any of theirs every single day of the week (and twice on Sunday).This doesn''t mean we should just expect an easy win, or that they will provide no competition, simply that I''d rather use a game against ''lesser'' opposition such as West Ham or Reading to try a new player out, then I would against ''stronger'' sides like Man Utd or Arsenal...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I also think we''re likely to see Tettey come on at some point, probably for Johnson tbh.[/quote]This, had Dembele not scored for Spurs when he did Tettey would''ve definitely come on to solidify the midfield.

Holt and Moro to start up front for me, to give the hammers a good ''hammering''....

Can''t see the team changing from the last two games, unless Jackson isn''t 100% after flying back from Panama wasn''t it?

If not Jackson upfront then definitely Moriaon, Kane still won''t have trained with the team much especially he went of with the under 21 (although I imagine very little training happend in that time anyway, they only seem to do four half days in a full weeks training based on various tweets throughout the season)

I agree with the point that Holt has not been the same player he was last season so far. I mean he hasn''t posed the same threat and does not look fit. I would start with morison and Jackson up front, unless Jacko''s too tired. I''d like to see Kane come on as a substitute.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Can''t see the team changing from the last two games, unless Jackson isn''t 100% after flying back from Panama wasn''t it? If not Jackson upfront then definitely Moriaon, Kane still won''t have trained with the team much especially he went of with the under 21 (although I imagine very little training happend in that time anyway, they only seem to do four half days in a full weeks training based on various tweets throughout the season)[/quote]

I agree.  It''s a bit of a contrast if we have the same back 5 for 3 games in a row.  Can''t remember that happening very often last year.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]I agree with the point that Holt has not been the same player he was last season so far. I mean he hasn''t posed the same threat and does not look fit. I would start with morison and Jackson up front, unless Jacko''s too tired. I''d like to see Kane come on as a substitute.[/quote]

we were all saying the same thing this time last season. (except holt looks like he''s causing more problems to defences this time round). time will tell methinks

I would like to see a similar side to the Spurs game but would love to see Butterfield, Tetty and Kane on the bench. Hopefully they "could improve on what we have" if anyone is below par.

Perhaps a chqnce for Holt to really show West Ham what they should have bid for during the summer speculation.

Like to see a lot more from Pilkington. Tends to start well but fades rather quickly. Elliot Bennett not fully fit, but would Wes fit in the present lineup ?? Unchanged team I expect.

[quote user="urdie_Canary"]I would like to see Holt on the bench, hes been below par so far this season and looks unfit.

[/quote]

Holt takes few games to get into his stride; this game is one he''ll be looking to ignite!

We must absolutely win this game as last season we stayed up because we took so many points off our rivals. It is no game to experiment. We can experiment away at Man City or Utd when realistically we have little chance. Jackson has looked one of our best players so far, very sharp and hungry. start him and Holt. Blood Kane either when we are winning big, from the subs bench, or at one of those any-point-is-a-bonus games.  I wouldn''t start with the new Norwegian guy either, again maybe bring him on later, but I''d like us to start quickly and the Leeds guys plus Pilks or Bennet can get us going with a high tempo.

Same team that played so well against Spurs for me, cant see any reason to change it.Holt knocking still continues, he is a real threat just by being on the field, the opposition are scared stiff of him and will certainly be trying to keep him out of the game, more space for Pilks and Jacko if that is the case.  Holty has always looked heavy, we all know that from some of the stick he got last season, I think he`s a good bet for a goal on Saturday.

The only possible change from Spurs might be Morison for Jackson and that is simply because of Jacko''s busier week than the former. Simeon would be ready to impact, if necessary.

I can see no sense in in demoting Holt as he has played well so far despite not being upto sharpness. A Grant goal is due. I can see no sense in promoting Kane as it would be the wrong type of baptism for the youngster. He needs easing into the team at the right time, not being leap-frogged above more senior members. This could cause problems  IMO.

If, and it''s a big if, we are comfortably ahead with twenty to go, then the time for the introduction of both him and Tettey might be right.

I am delighted about the acquisition of Harry Kane and feel that he will come good for us, but I think that those suggesting he starts tomorrow are being unrealistic. As I said, ease him in.