Sign in to follow this  
anonamoose

Holt will struggle this season

Looking more solid at the back under Hughton but very much out of ideas going forwards.

Our strikers, esp Holt and Morison thrive on scoring headers off crosses. Last year we had the most in the league I believe. Doesn''t seem like we are really crossing at all this year.

I feel like we are not using our main weapons and can''t see Holt scoring many unless we give him some service. He looked lost today up top, not like the usual Holt.

Has anyone else noticed this?

He did look lost but it wasn''t because of the poor service.

He is slow, lethargic and seems very uninterested to me. And, I hate to say it again but is heavy, carrying way too much weight.

He clearly looks off the pace, there is a fitness problem. There was a period in the 2nd half when we totally lost it in the middle and the hammers took control. Our fitness levels have dropped under the new regime. as for finishing today both teams were shocking, certainly not premier league quality. Snodgrass missed some sitters in the 1st half and how in hell did kane miss that one at the end, kicked it straight at the jaskalainen, need goals soon or its going to be pretty frustratating season.".........

I thought we put the ball into the box a lot, the service wasn''t great though and when we had chances they weren''t converted. We had eight corners and at least three free kicks from dangerous areas but I can''t remember any of them threatening West Ham.

Half our goals were from crosses - Jacko''s was from a cross, and Snoddy''s if not from a cross was from a corner indirectly. Holt has missed a few headers, so it''s not as if we do none, and Jacko lacks the height to do much.

I agree with the main point. We are missing Benno and today Pilks as well. Whatever crosses Snoddy makes are usually after a rather laboured run to the bye-line, and to a packed penalty area. The answer may be to get Garrido and Martin to go farward and cross, but CH will not be happy if the defence is exposed.

We attempted 19 crosses this game, that''s quite a lot, problem is only 5 of them went to a Norwich team mate... we created chances and did alright for most of the game (20 shots on goal, 10 on target, 8 off, 7 blocked) but none of them went in. Jaaskelainen made some terrific saves and some of the finishing was lack luster. It wasn''t bad, but with a tough run of fixtures coming up a win would''ve really helped the fans mental attitude (as well as the players).

Is it a Calderwood thing?  I only watched on a stream but Holt seemed to be playing out wide right a lot again!  Thought Snoddy should have been playing there.  Get Holt in the middle where it hurts!

[quote user="York Canary"]I''d start Moro and Simeon and bring Holty on later. He usually hits form later anyway and we can''t afford to mess around at the moment[/quote]
Holt hit form around October last year, just after he buried that header against Liverpool in front of the Kop at Anfield. Morison should start ahead of him next game Holt just didn''t turn up today. 

[quote user="York Canary"]I''d start Moro and Simeon and bring Holty on later. He usually hits form later anyway and we can''t afford to mess around at the moment[/quote]
Holt hit form around October last year, just after he buried that header against Liverpool in front of the Kop at Anfield. Morison should start ahead of him next game Holt just didn''t turn up today.