Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's Report v West Ham

It was  pleasant early Autumn weather in Norwich today as Ricardo passed supporters from both sides who were enjoying a drink outside the Queen of Iceni. Most likely they little suspected that this would be the highpoint of their afternoons entertainment.City, with Surman replacing Pilks, kicked off with the sun at their backs and it didn''t take long to see that this was unlikely to be a free flowing game. The Hammers midfield was quick in the tackle and Big Sam''s muscular footballing style was soon on show. City managed to fashion an early chance but Surman''s shot was not up to the standard of his smart turn in the box. At the other end a scramble looked like ending with a goal from Cole but Martin and Ruddy between them cleared the danger. Back came City and Snoddy should have done better with a free kick from 20 yards that never cleared the wall. The ball was spending too much time in the air as Howson, Johnson and Surman were unable to make time and space and when they did see a chink of light the passing was very average.Ref Chris Foy didn''t help proceedings but letting too much go and when Snoddy was felled in the box after a mazey run his inaction certainly had Ricardo baffled. Another scramble ensued in the City box  and then play switched again to an even greater scramble at the other end. Shots from Snoddy twice, Bassong and Holt pinged about with Jaaskalinen and defenders making saves and blocks as the crowd oh''d and ahh''d. Then on 34 minutes Holty really should have scored when Snoddy set him up perfectly only for the shot to screw wide of the post. As halftime approached there was still no sign of quality passing on display but when Surman was upended in in the box it looked a penalty but Mr Foy gave a freekick right on the line. Ricardo was 80 yards away but it looked nailed on to me. So ended a first half devoid of any real quality, we could only hope the second would be better.For a while things improved as City upped the tempo Holty almost got on the end of Surmans left wing cross and moments later Jackson stung Jaaskelinens hands after a decent move down the right. West Ham attacks were mostly from breakaways but wasteful crosses meant there was little pressure on the City goal. With the lack of invention in midfield it seemed like the ideal time for Wes but Chris Hughton was nothing if not conventional when he swapped the front two in quick succession for Morison and Kane. If anything the game became even more disjointed and scruffy with little goalmouth action at either end. Threats from freekicks and corners still came and went and from one corner Barnett looked well set for a header only for a Hammers defender to blatantly jump into him with no attempt to play the ball. I don''t know when the rules changed but Chris Foy obviously had his own set that didn''t include obstruction.With the egg-timer fast running down City began to get desperate when a little coolness would have served them better. A poor clearance from Jaaskelinen went straight to Howson who had all the time in the world to control and send Snoddy clear but his hurried lunge only scooped the ball to a defender. Then Snoddy ran 70 yards with the ball and set Kane up with a chance to make a name for himself. He made that name alright but not one to use on a family internet site as his powderpuff effort was easily saved by the sprawling keeper. That, apart from another Snoddy effort, a corner and a bit of head tennis was just about it and so ended the scrappiest game to grace CR for many a long year.So, what are we to make of it? The only positive I can draw is that at least we kept a clean sheet. Some will say it looked like two relegation candidates scrapping for points and at this stage it would be hard to put up a good argument to refute it. Ricardo is putting it down to just one of those days and hoping it will get better but any analysis of this game certainly leaves food for thought.

[quote user="kellybrook"]One more point than at the same stage this season, so forige me for not pressing the panic button yet.

Pathetic.
[/quote]

That comparison has no relevance. B-gger last season.We have had two lousy results at home already this season with points dropped and one goal scored. That is dismal especially as we do aspire to be a Premiership outfit now after all.

My only crumb of comfort is that I feel we were denied two points by the shocking incompetence of Clattenberg in the QPR game (an official who failed to know the basic rules.) Sorry to hark back, but that shite still riles me.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[quote user="kellybrook"]One more point than at the same stage this season, so forige me for not pressing the panic button yet.Pathetic.[/quote]

That comparison has no relevance. B-gger last season.We have had two lousy results at home already this season with points dropped and one goal scored. That is dismal especially as we do aspire to be a Premiership outfit now after all.

My only crumb of comfort is that I feel we were denied two points by the shocking incompetence of Clattenberg in the QPR game (an official who failed to know the basic rules.) Sorry to hark back, but that shite still riles me.

[/quote]WE''RE DOOMED!!! [:''(]

He isn''t pressing the panic button.It is a fair and reasonable report.Thanks Ricardo,pretty much sums up my viewpoint.

[quote user="kellybrook"]One more point than at the same stage this season, so forige me for not pressing the panic button yet.Pathetic.[/quote]However, only 2 home points from potential relegation rivals when we were getting 6 points from comparative games last season. Far too early to worry but a modicum of concern should not be so easily dismissed.

I doubt there is a Norwich City fan who thinks 1-1 v QPR at home and 0-0 v West Ham at home are two decent results - both of these games are the nearest we''ll get to "home bankers" and we''ve taken 2 points from 6.Interestingly the Sky Sports report has it as an "end to end game full of goalmouth action" but they probably watched the highlights before writing that.

West Ham have had a decent start to the season so while a draw isn''t great, we looked better than they did and kept a good clean sheet.

As for QPR, we were robbed and likewise at Tottenham. If the correct decisions had been made we''d have 7 points now, but them''s the breaks.

[quote user="Mahogany"]West Ham have had a decent start to the season so while a draw isn''t great, we looked better than they did and kept a good clean sheet.

As for QPR, we were robbed and likewise at Tottenham. If the correct decisions had been made we''d have 7 points now, but them''s the breaks.[/quote]I disagree with that.  You''re not "robbed" when you don''t get the right end of one debateable penalty decision.  How were we "robbed" against Spurs?  I believe those incidents look bigger than they were because we look so powder-puff in front of goal - we end up clinging to half-chances and "bad decisions" when we should be asking why we convert so few chances.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I disagree with that.  You''re not "robbed" when you don''t get the right end of one debateable penalty decision.  How were we "robbed" against Spurs?  I believe those incidents look bigger than they were because we look so powder-puff in front of goal - we end up clinging to half-chances and "bad decisions" when we should be asking why we convert so few chances.[/quote]this.

Did you enjoy the game though Rickyyyyyyyy? I had to watch it on TV whilst looking after 4 of the grandkids and thought it was quite a good game. But I didn''t think either side looked like scoring a goal so it was hard to be disappointed with a point. In the bigger picture we will be disappointed with 3 points from what didn''t look a difficult first four games. On paper anyway!

But football is strange we could easily win the next two. It does seem to me that we are building from the back. Where as last season we defended from the front. Two different managers and two different approaches. I wouldn''t be surprised to see one up front again next week.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="kellybrook"]One more point than at the same stage this season, so forige me for not pressing the panic button yet.Pathetic.[/quote]However, only 2 home points from potential relegation rivals when we were getting 6 points from comparative games last season. Far too early to worry but a modicum of concern should not be so easily dismissed.[/quote]

Writing on the wall boys - Ashton couldn''t save us in 2005. Addressing our forward problem in January will be too late again. We''re doomed. At least Ipswich might be in League 1 on our return to the Championship.

I didn''t think we were that bad tbh.  Yes we didn''t play the sort of football we usually play but thats quite hard when you play against a Sam Allardyce team who stop you from playing so effectively.  We created enough chances to win the game and kept a clean sheet.  Yes we should have scored but I think the overall performance was quite good, I wouldn''t say we played badly like some people seem to be suggesting.

However the lack of goals is worrying.  We should have won our last 3 games.  A point away at Spurs is great but we still should have won.  6 points dropped in 3 games isn''t good.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Did you enjoy the game though Rickyyyyyyyy? I had to watch it on TV whilst looking after 4 of the grandkids and thought it was quite a good game. But I didn''t think either side looked like scoring a goal so it was hard to be disappointed with a point. In the bigger picture we will be disappointed with 3 points from what didn''t look a difficult first four games. On paper anyway!

But football is strange we could easily win the next two. It does seem to me that we are building from the back. Where as last season we defended from the front. Two different managers and two different approaches. I wouldn''t be surprised to see one up front again next week.

[/quote]I think you are right, the managers approach makes a big difference. I think had Lambert been here he would have tried to get more creativity out of the midfield. In other words I am confident the subs would have been Wes and Fox. Morison and Kane were fresh faces but in truth the game went backwards for 10-15 minutes after they came on. Kane looked as though he could be decent in time but that fluffed effort was costly. Had that been Holt it would have been odds on a goal.No I didn''t enjoy the game that much. The passing was awful and we didn''t look half the team we did against QPR and Spurs.

20 attempts, 14 on target, 0 goals says a lot.

'' Powder puff'''' I t.hink sums it up

Holt needs to be dropped for 3 weeks and put on a fitness regime.

Harry Kane. 2 weak efforts from fair chances. Not very encouraging, but hopefully he''s a quick learner.

Steve Morison. Needs to study videos from the first half of last season, told to believe in himself and given a guaranteed run of 3 starts.

Simeon Jackson. Give him 3 more starts and if he can''t produce more, park him and move him on come January.

Chris Martin. If Jackson can''t hack it give him a of 3 guaranteed starts. Last chance saloon like Jackson.

My prediction? I hope that someone will come good, but I suspect we''ll have to spend big a la Dean Ashton come January

and cross our fingers that it won''t be too late - again.

OTBC 

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I think you are right, the managers approach makes a big difference. I think had Lambert been here he would have tried to get more creativity out of the midfield. In other words I am confident the subs would have been Wes and Fox. Morison and Kane were fresh faces but in truth the game went backwards for 10-15 minutes after they came on. Kane looked as though he could be decent in time but that fluffed effort was costly. Had that been Holt it would have been odds on a goal.

No I didn''t enjoy the game that much. The passing was awful and we didn''t look half the team we did against QPR and Spurs.
[/quote]

It''s early days I know but I am concerned that we''re not creating much. Shots on goal don''t equate to chances. It seems the approach is more about having a solid midfield and keeping the shape than being creative. It was what many advocated last season though. Unfortunately, unless you can afford the very best players, you can''t have it both ways.

[quote user="kellybrook"]One more point than at the same stage this season, so forige me for not pressing the panic button yet.Pathetic.[/quote]But this time last season we had not already played the easiest two home games we will get all season  , far too many people still got the head stuck firmly in the sand , we are in big trouble and its as plain as the nose on most peoples faces .

Bly why get rid of Jackson and give Martin a chance? correct me if I am wrong but Jackson is our fastest forward and is the only one thats scored this season!! he was our liveliest attacker today!!!!!!

[quote user="Ncfc"][quote user="kellybrook"]One more point than at the same stage this season, so forige me for not pressing the panic button yet. Pathetic.[/quote]But this time last season we had not already played the easiest two home games we will get all season  , far too many people still got the head stuck firmly in the sand , we are in big trouble and its as plain as the nose on most peoples faces .[/quote]At least we won''t have to play your lot next season even if we do go down. Shame really, it would have been nice to wave our fivers at you! [:|]

As usual a decent report Ricardo, and to be honest the only post match post I think is worth a response each week.

I thought we were actually decent in the first half and that the overall performance wasnt so bad, with the margin between one point and three being very fine indeed in this and the previous two matches. I watched live the QPR vs Chelsea and Sunderland vs Liverpool matches also today and they werent a lot better, very little in it, with Sunderland in particular despite taking the lead looking very ordinary. 

Had we nicked the three points today I think we would have the minimum points to date that we deserve. That all said, the three points were there for the taking today and we failed. 

I remain positive about our chances this season and about CH and am expecting at least a point next week, why not?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I think you are right, the managers approach makes a big difference. I think had Lambert been here he would have tried to get more creativity out of the midfield. In other words I am confident the subs would have been Wes and Fox. Morison and Kane were fresh faces but in truth the game went backwards for 10-15 minutes after they came on. Kane looked as though he could be decent in time but that fluffed effort was costly. Had that been Holt it would have been odds on a goal.

No I didn''t enjoy the game that much. The passing was awful and we didn''t look half the team we did against QPR and Spurs.
[/quote]

It''s early days I know but I am concerned that we''re not creating much. Shots on goal don''t equate to chances. It seems the approach is more about having a solid midfield and keeping the shape than being creative. It was what many advocated last season though. Unfortunately, unless you can afford the very best players, you can''t have it both ways.

[/quote]

Exactly Eddie. Houghton has clipped our wings when going forward. Sure, we will be a more solid defensive unit, but we are going to have to get used to being frustrated by poor sides like West Ham and QPR. The days of going all out in search of a win left the door with Lambert. I can''t help but feel disappointed, just like I was after the QPR game and even more so that Hoolahan and Fox continue to warm the bench despite being our continued inability to create sufficient chances.

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] Exactly Eddie. Houghton has clipped our wings when going forward. Sure, we will be a more solid defensive unit, but we are going to have to get used to being frustrated by poor sides like West Ham and QPR. The days of going all out in search of a win left the door with Lambert. I can''t help but feel disappointed, just like I was after the QPR game and even more so that Hoolahan and Fox continue to warm the bench despite being our continued inability to create sufficient chances.[/quote]

Yes I think that sums up my feelings in a nutshell Leon. My frear is that you have to see out three draws to get the same amount of points as a single win. But it''s early days ands a solid side that wins is even better than what Lambert gave us last season. But (again) I think to win more games with this seasons approach we will need a pacey clinical finisher. And it doesn''t look like we have one unless Jackson can add that string to his bow.

Still miss you on Rays Funds. 2 wins from 2 weeks.. can I tempt you back?[;)]

[quote user="Ncfc"][quote user="kellybrook"]One more point than at the same stage this season, so forige me for not pressing the panic button yet.Pathetic.[/quote]But this time last season we had not already played the easiest two home games we will get all season  , far too many people still got the head stuck firmly in the sand , we are in big trouble and its as plain as the nose on most peoples faces .[/quote]

Absolutely - still can''t understand why we allowed Vaughan to go. And it''s not big trouble, it''s massive trouble!

It''s never going to be an easy game to win against a Sam Allardyce team, I wonder what the West Ham stalwarts think of the brand of football they are witnessing, when they have such a great history of playing the beautiful game as it should be.

In the circumstances a point is not a disaster, but we cannot keep on being unlucky, we have to make our own luck. To do this we will need to be a bit braver, Hoolahan is a great player and should have come on today to try and win the game, granted he would not have won too many headers, then neither would Xavi or Iniesta, would they have not featured due to a lack of height? Mr Foy was not going to do us any favours, what annoyed me more than anything was in the second half from a corner every time Russell Martin tried to make some movement he was wrestled, and all right in front of poor old Foy who thought it was necessary to talk to both players rather than award us a penalty. I know that refs always totally duck these type of decisions, what a disgrace it is that this allows the teams who favour rough house tactics to prosper.

We look a better defensive unit, but this comes at a the cost of less adventurous football and full backs who are not so likely to overlap. What is of concern is the lack of a cutting edge. Jackson is playing well with good movement and pace, Holty is being like Holty, he always starts slowly but comes good in the end, lets hope history repeats itself, although todays lack of workrate was a little disconcerting. Memo to Hughton you should be aware that dropping him last season worked wonders, no need to feel that as he is captain and player of the season he is sacrosanct.

Harry Kane showed promise but not the good finishing we are told he has, please let him have his shooting boots on next time he plays.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Fellas"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] Exactly Eddie. Houghton has clipped our wings when going forward. Sure, we will be a more solid defensive unit, but we are going to have to get used to being frustrated by poor sides like West Ham and QPR. The days of going all out in search of a win left the door with Lambert. I can''t help but feel disappointed, just like I was after the QPR game and even more so that Hoolahan and Fox continue to warm the bench despite being our continued inability to create sufficient chances.[/quote]

Yes I think that sums up my feelings in a nutshell Leon. My frear is that you have to see out three draws to get the same amount of points as a single win. But it''s early days ands a solid side that wins is even better than what Lambert gave us last season. But (again) I think to win more games with this seasons approach we will need a pacey clinical finisher. And it doesn''t look like we have one unless Jackson can add that string to his bow.

Still miss you on Rays Funds. 2 wins from 2 weeks.. can I tempt you back?[;)]

[/quote]

All true, and it makes the moves with Vaughan and Kane look bizarre.

I followed the win today as I was consigned to London for the weekend. It''s a good start to the season the PUPs are doing better without me! If I get time I might drop in.

I stand by my previous concern that Vaughan is a big miss because we have no other striker like him whereas we have four similar plus Jackson.

That said, this was my first EPL game today and I don''t feel unduly concerned because we made enough chances to win three games.

I think the international break causes problems for a lot of sides as does the early kick off time which often results in poor games.

West Ham came here with their tails up and played with Allardyce physicality which we dealt with really well IMO. After an early flourish we were by far the best side.

Crucially for me, the overall solidity of our team which has conceded only two goals in three games since Fulham (which is affecting Hughtons thinking I believe), is such that I don''t buy this ''tough games coming up'' theory. I think we will be competitive in more games this season and a trip to Newcastle followed by Liverpool at home is no different to games we have already played.

We are a work in progress still, and while Holt looks short of confidence and in need of a run of games as I believe he gains his best fitness this way; and Moro flits in and out, there is no reason why these players shouldn''t hit the back of the net as much as they did last season instead of misfiring as at present.

I don''t know if it was the heat but the crowd nodded off second half as the game went turgid but, our players kept their concentration well.

Panic button? Why?

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]I stand by my previous concern that Vaughan is a big miss because we have no other striker like him whereas we have four similar plus Jackson. That said, this was my first EPL game today and I don''t feel unduly concerned because we made enough chances to win three games. I think the international break causes problems for a lot of sides as does the early kick off time which often results in poor games. West Ham came here with their tails up and played with Allardyce physicality which we dealt with really well IMO. After an early flourish we were by far the best side. Crucially for me, the overall solidity of our team which has conceded only two goals in three games since Fulham (which is affecting Hughtons thinking I believe), is such that I don''t buy this ''tough games coming up'' theory. I think we will be competitive in more games this season and a trip to Newcastle followed by Liverpool at home is no different to games we have already played. We are a work in progress still, and while Holt looks short of confidence and in need of a run of games as I believe he gains his best fitness this way; and Moro flits in and out, there is no reason why these players shouldn''t hit the back of the net as much as they did last season instead of misfiring as at present. I don''t know if it was the heat but the crowd nodded off second half as the game went turgid but, our players kept their concentration well. Panic button? Why?[/quote]

That''s a very good point Rudolph. If we pick up points in those two games and remain solid we will all be feeling a lot more positive. Even though it''s four games since I still am a bit concerned about Fulham. Just hoping that''s a one off. Because we can''t afford to play well and pick up points but have an off day every month.

Vaughan seems a mystery because of how Hughton seems to want to play. I like Holty playing deeper. I think he''s a cleverer player than some give him credit for, But that leaves Jackson on the shoulder of the last man where he has to stay onside and finish more clinically. If Jackson doesn''t play I don''t see who else can play that system. Vaughan could have done. If Jackson doesn''t produce Hughton may go back to one up front and rely on a couple of the midfield, Snodgrass and one other, to get forward beyond Holt.