Sign in to follow this  
dpit

Clean sheet!

We were crying iut for them last year and now not a word. Great solid work from the back 4

[quote user="dpit"]We were crying iut for them last year and now not a word. Great solid work from the back 4[/quote]Here here.

Yep definitely a big positive from today, looked very solid, and put bodies on the line when needed, deserve credit for their effort.

I think Barney has been a revelation so far this season. Also Garrido looks the real deal, Really calm on the ball and is a strong solid professional

The only thing is that with us being more solid at the back, we are less expansive going forward but playing 4-4-2 brings that solidity. I am very happy we have stopped gifting goals away this season...after the first match, we look very solid and are showing ourselves as no pushovers

A good defensive display without a doubt, but the defender''s job is made easier when the midfield (+ Holt today) sit back.

It was often said, even at Championship level, that the reason we conceded a lot was due to our attacking style, which left the defence exposed.

This is now being shown to be the likely case.

On the other hand, we now have two goals from four games.

[quote user="JC"]I think Barney has been a revelation so far this season. Also Garrido looks the real deal, Really calm on the ball and is a strong solid professional The only thing is that with us being more solid at the back, we are less expansive going forward but playing 4-4-2 brings that solidity. I am very happy we have stopped gifting goals away this season...after the first match, we look very solid and are showing ourselves as no pushovers[/quote]

It''s a different approach for sure. I was one of those who wasn''t bothered about the clean sheets. Now we are tighter at the back we obviously score less. In the end it''s points that count and either approach can accumulate points if we''re good enough at it. Neither approach will make us better than we are though.

The approach we currently we have, coupled with a more composed striker than Simeon Jackson and with similar pace would see us in a different stratosphere I reckon. I still love Simeon, but with more composure and awareness he (and the team as a whole) would be on a different level. He isn''t the only player though..Kane missed chances and Holt, Snoddy, Russ, Bradley etc have missed chances in the last 3 games. We just need those ones to go in and that bit of luck to get further away from any danger. I just don''t want this season to turn out like the season with Ashton, Hucks etc where we couldn''t win for god-knows how many games

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]
On the other hand, we now have two goals from four games.
[/quote]
Last season we had 3 goals from four games and a point less, hardly a massive difference. 

[quote user="York Canary"]where we couldn''t win for god-knows how many games[/quote]
Last season we had lost 2 drawn 2 by this point, we won our next game. Whilst I don''t think that''s very likely this season, we''re not falling seriously behind the standards we set last season (even if we draw the next game, we''d only be 1 point what we had last season, two if we lose)

It''s true we''re similar in terms of points to last season, but I''m saying I hope we don''t carry on drawing like the 2004 season.

I''m not panicking yet, but I do worry about our finishing a little. I''m sure the boys will find the net more often as they grow into the season, but this run of games coming up is going to be extra tough.

[quote user="York Canary"]

It''s true we''re similar in terms of points to last season, but I''m saying I hope we don''t carry on drawing like the 2004 season.

I''m not panicking yet, but I do worry about our finishing a little. I''m sure the boys will find the net more often as they grow into the season, but this run of games coming up is going to be extra tough.

[/quote]
I agree, a win today would''ve done us a world of good, got the confidence rising maybe Holt might have scored and hit form... but a draws hardly the end of the world at this point into the season. 

I''d personally start Moro instead of Holt and give Holt some impetus to prove a point by coming back into the starting lineup after a spell of starting on the bench. It would also give Moro the chance to show he''s better than people think and worth keeping

The defence didn''t need to be wonderful today, bar a couple of decent first half chances West Ham were useles in the final third. Countless aimless crosses, multiple deflected shots from range that were already going off target and not much else. Did Ruddy make a save in the 2nd half?

The defence were good, but didn''t need to be that good, clean sheet is encouraging though. We really should have scored, Snoddy, Holt and Kane all had a chance each that they should have scored. Jackson, Surman and Snodgrass had decent efforts from range. Couple of headers from Bassong and Moro could have gone in. Snoddy also I''m sure could have done better when he broke into the box first half. And then we had the ball bounce around the box. I don''t understand how we failed to score. Three games, three draws, three games when we had the chances/positions to score winning goals. 6 points dropped in hindsight for me.

If some fans are worried about us scoring goals just remember, if we are tighter at the back then we only need to score 1 goal to win a match rather than 3.

[quote user="MisterCarrow"]If some fans are worried about us scoring goals just remember, if we are tighter at the back then we only need to score 1 goal to win a match rather than 3.[/quote]

Hexactly! [Y]

Bump.

A joy to read a thread with common sense in.

A 0-0 draw.   Plenty of shots on target.    A valuable point.    Room for improvement of course, but there always is. 

Onwards and upwards.  

No need to get nappies in a twist.