Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Surman's penalty shout

It was outside the box and a very good decision by referee Chris Foy, but I feel he did slip up when he only cautioned Collins, surely it should have been a red for preventing a clear goalscoring chance.

Saw it at HtT, they slowed it right down, never a penalty.

Has anyone seen the ''foul'' on Snodgrass? Thought that was a penalty from where I was sitting.

The FIFA rulebook states in Law#1 that "the field of play is marked with

lines. These lines belong to the areas of which they are boundaries."So if the foul was on the line then it was a penaltyhttp://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/laws_of_the_game_0708_10565.pdf

Wrong ! If it''s on the line that is deemed to be a penalty, but watching the TV over and over again Suman''s foot does not touch the line. no penalty but it should have been a sending off !

The tip of his leading foot (boot) was fractionally short of the line-no penalty. Even 1/2 an inch further up would have been one, but this clearly wasn''t.The ref has doesn''t have the benefit of the replays of course, but he was in a good position and called it confidently.

Collins was lucky on two counts IMO. Firstly that the contact with Surman was a whisker outside the box, and secondly that he wasn''t penalised for taking down Holt (who was in the box) with his follow-through. I suppose the Surman foul was the "first offence" though so anything afterwards is discounted.

I was having this discussion earlier, surely if a defender brings down two attacking players [who both have a goal scoring chance] with the same lunging tackle.

Even if there is a nano second between first and second player going down - If the second player is inside the box, it has to be a penalty - surely?

Look, technically by the letter of the law the referee got the decision correct by a matter of 2 or 3 inches. On the line is in, by the way.

HOWEVER, there are many pens given where contact is in fact just outside the box, so we COULD have got a pen on another day had the luck been with us.

Chris Foy wil be feeling smug this evening, and rightly so to be fair, but I believe his decision involved some guess work. Crucially, take a look at his view from the camera angle from the river end stand - there is a player in the way at the pint of contact.

No way was he 100% sure, but believe me, pens will be given for incidents where contact is further outside the box than Surmans was today.

I thought the ref was actually superb today; Snoddy''s tumble was a bit....exagerated and the foul was an inch or two outside the line and box. Even Houghton has said it wasn''t a penalty.

Although I have to admit I watched the game on Sky and had the benefit of replays. Had I been at the game, I probably would have been incensed at the ref

Snodgrass "penalty" was in front of where i sit and to be honest, if it had  been a west ham player being "fouled" and winning a penalty we would have been baying for him to be sent off. Needs to learn from lessons from Holty on how to win a penalty and look convincing!