Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Why do fans shoot themselves in the foot?

There has been some nasty stuff aimed at Grant Holt after today''s game, nobody else.

The Holt stuff is born out of the Summer happenings, I should think, because the big man has played well, whilst not being at his dominant best. One goal is all he needs IMO.

I don''t think they have. The point of message boards is to debate different perspectives. It would be a dull place if we all agreed.

As for Holt he didn''t receive the service he might have had today. I think he remains the player most likely to score 10+ goals in the PL this season.

My issue is that we needed to strenghten this department and failed to do so. We look unlikely to score sufficient goals at the moment.

[quote user="lake district canary"]When they turn on their players after only five  games of the season (inc cup game) when they are unbeaten for the last four.  

Get a grip folks, no one said it was going to be easy.  

[/quote]

umm... they shoot themselves in the foot because they are emotionaly irrational and generally unhappy people.

Sorry LDC, I can''t see how highlighting certain issues is ''shooting yourself in the foot''

The last time i checked this is a discussion board, discussion, to discuss the game whether that be positive or negative or offering constructive criticism.

Not everyone lives in this (and I think we''ve been here before) utopia world where everything is just fine and there is a positive in everything!

[quote user="lake district canary"]Morison''s Prozac wrote Fair criticism isn''t turning on the players.

Errr...........have a look at some of the Holt threads.

[/quote]

Errr........then why don''t you confine your criticism to those posters on those threads that you feel are shooting themselves in the foot. Instead, you begin a separate thread giving a general impression that anyone who offers constructive criticism are wrong in doing so. Which is it? Some posters on the Holt thread or....anyone who offers constructive criticism?

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Sorry LDC, I can''t see how highlighting certain issues is ''shooting yourself in the foot''

The last time i checked this is a discussion board, discussion, to discuss the game whether that be positive or negative or offering constructive criticism.

Not everyone lives in this (and I think we''ve been here before) utopia world where everything is just fine and there is a positive in everything![/quote]

I don''t see how abusive posts and  insulting comments about the club captain and club leading goalscorer for the last three years is anything to do with constructive criticism.  My criticism is not aimed against people who want to discuss, its aimed at people who just want to mouth off.

We''re defending well, playing well and creating more than enough chances to win games, problem is we aren''t converting all these chances to win the games we need to/deserve to. Some of it''s down to poor finishing, some of it''s down to bad luck and some of it''s down to fantastic goalkeeping performances from the opposition. We just have to hope that sometime very soon we''ll start to convert these chances and start to win games our performances from QPR and Spurs show that we can. 

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Sorry LDC, I can''t see how highlighting certain issues is ''shooting yourself in the foot'' The last time i checked this is a discussion board, discussion, to discuss the game whether that be positive or negative or offering constructive criticism. Not everyone lives in this (and I think we''ve been here before) utopia world where everything is just fine and there is a positive in everything![/quote]

I don''t see how abusive posts and  insulting comments about the club captain and club leading goalscorer for the last three years is anything to do with constructive criticism.  My criticism is not aimed against people who want to discuss, its aimed at people who just want to mouth off.

[/quote]

Well, LDC, I would like to discuss what I asked you, namely, is the target of your criticism on this thread the posters on the Holt thread you referred to or....anyone who offers constructive criticism? Some posters don''t want to discuss points, they simply want to express their pov with constructive criticism. In your book does this portray them as just mouthing off. If so, how are they any different from you because, quite frankly, most of your posts are of that variety.

Bloody hell LDC, I hope you''ve got a Kevlar vest as well as a tin helmet!

I was contemplating a thread of similar vein this morning but I did think, with the abuse that was bound to follow, that I might not be as mild in my replies as your good self. So I think I''ll just back you up instead and say "well said sir"

There have been many derogatory statements re Holty but I expect the big man can take it. Also a decent amount of slagging re Morison, Howson, Surman, Johnson and even Snoddy. And no, before you start firing away, it is not constructive criticism, it''s just pathetic.

A clean sheet, another point, just one defeat in 4. We will score goals, probably when we least expect it too.

Well i think in the case of holt, the sniping is deserved, he held the club to ransom over the summer, got what he wanted, and deserved imho, what we as a club deserved was for him to show some profesionalism,and gratitude for his contract, and at least come back for pre season, fit, and fully ready for the season, but what do we get ?

As big ( heavy ) as he has ever been, very unfit and and generaly poor play, mostly down to his fitness.

Why the hell is it exceptable for him to use the first third of a season to get fit and sharp ? Thats not on, more so after he has just got the contract that has set him and his family up for the rest of there lives..

[quote user="lake district canary"]When they turn on their players after only five  games of the season (inc cup game) when they are unbeaten for the last four.  

[/quote]

If you want to highlight posters shooting themselves in the foot, LDC, I''m reminded of your comments earlier this week describing Sky TV''s money as being ''obscene''.

Now remind us from where you view the Premiership games?

Perhaps there is a link between the amount that Sky pays for TV rights and the number of subscribers to the Sky service.

For a subscriber to describe Sky''s actions as obscene it would seem to be shooting themselves in the foot.

[quote user="the1englishman"]Well i think in the case of holt, the sniping is deserved, he held the club to ransom over the summer, got what he wanted, and deserved imho, what we as a club deserved was for him to show some profesionalism,and gratitude for his contract, and at least come back for pre season, fit, and fully ready for the season, but what do we get ?

As big ( heavy ) as he has ever been, very unfit and and generaly poor play, mostly down to his fitness.

Why the hell is it exceptable for him to use the first third of a season to get fit and sharp ? Thats not on, more so after he has just got the contract that has set him and his family up for the rest of there lives..[/quote]
Why not go and ask Clint Hill and Mark Hughes how unfit and off his game they think he is

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="the1englishman"]Well i think in the case of holt, the sniping is deserved, he held the club to ransom over the summer, got what he wanted, and deserved imho, what we as a club deserved was for him to show some profesionalism,and gratitude for his contract, and at least come back for pre season, fit, and fully ready for the season, but what do we get ?

Why the hell is it exceptable for him to use the first third of a season to get fit and sharp ? Thats not on, more so after he has just got the contract that has set him and his family up for the rest of there lives..[/quote]
Why not go and ask Clint Hill and Mark Hughes how unfit and off his game they think he is
[/quote]

Why dont you remind me what holts job is ?

Get a grip folks, no one said it was going to be easy.   [/quote]Why do fans close their eyes, put their fingers in their ears and repeat "it''s going to be fine, it''s going to be fine" over and over again when it''s fairly clear there are some worrying signs in terms of attacking threat and strikeforce (the people who tend to win you games) even at this early stage of the season?No-one expected it to be easy, but I expected a little more in the way of attacking threat.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"]When they turn on their players after only five  games of the season (inc cup game) when they are unbeaten for the last four.  

Get a grip folks, no one said it was going to be easy.   [/quote]Why do fans close their eyes, put their fingers in their ears and repeat "it''s going to be fine, it''s going to be fine" over and over again when it''s fairly clear there are some worrying signs in terms of attacking threat and strikeforce (the people who tend to win you games) even at this early stage of the season?No-one expected it to be easy, but I expected a little more in the way of attacking threat.[/quote]I should point out that I distinguish between valid criticism of the team/tactics/performances, and needless victimisation of certain players.  If you are talking about the "Holt is useless" threads, I would agree that, while he''s hardly setting the world on fire at the moment, it''s usually unhelpful and counter-productive to turn on our players.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"][quote user="lake district canary"]When they turn on their players after only five  games of the season (inc cup game) when they are unbeaten for the last four.   Get a grip folks, no one said it was going to be easy.  

[/quote]

If you want to highlight posters shooting themselves in the foot, LDC, I''m reminded of your comments earlier this week describing Sky TV''s money as being ''obscene''.

Perhaps there is a link between the amount that Sky pays for TV rights and the number of subscribers to the Sky service.

For a subscriber to describe Sky''s actions as obscene it would seem to be shooting themselves in the foot.[/quote]

You can quite frankly go and take a running jump, pal.    I  watch the match from wherever I can get a ticket.   QPR top of Barclay,  yesterday the main stand near the snake pit.    Now go and do one. 

We gained a point yesterday after starting brightly but faded badly as several players put in poor performances, some not for the first time. Wet sham were not great, we made them look better than they were so it''s two points lost

While discussing that some posters get hyper critical others hyper defensive. It''s how these boards are.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"]When they turn on their players after only five  games of the season (inc cup game) when they are unbeaten for the last four.  

[/quote]

Why do fans close their eyes, put their fingers in their ears and repeat "it''s going to be fine, it''s going to be fine" over and over again when it''s fairly clear there are some worrying signs in terms of attacking threat and strikeforce (the people who tend to win you games) even at this early stage of the season?

No-one expected it to be easy, but I expected a little more in the way of attacking threat.

[/quote]

we do have attacking threat, we''ve created loads of chances?

we may have created chances but its GOALS that win games and Holt is paid a lot of money to score and didnt look up to it yesterday at all!!! all this about not criticising him is guff, he set himself up with the way he asked for a transfer and hasnt so far justified the new contract!!! I hope he will come good again but I have my doubts.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Rock The Boat"][quote user="lake district canary"]When they turn on their players after only five  games of the season (inc cup game) when they are unbeaten for the last four.   Get a grip folks, no one said it was going to be easy.  

[/quote]

For a subscriber to describe Sky''s actions as obscene it would seem to be shooting themselves in the foot.[/quote]

You can quite frankly go and take a running jump, pal.    I  watch the match from wherever I can get a ticket.   QPR top of Barclay,  yesterday the main stand near the snake pit.    Now go and do one. 

[/quote]However you are a SKY subscriber?

[quote user="lake district canary"]Pinkun Role Model wrote :  However you are a SKY subscriber?

I don''t understand.  What has whether I am or not a Sky subscriber got to do with anything??      [/quote]Thanks, that''s all I was wondering.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

Get a grip folks, no one said it was going to be easy.   [/quote]Why do fans close their eyes, put their fingers in their ears and repeat "it''s going to be fine, it''s going to be fine" over and over again when it''s fairly clear there are some worrying signs in terms of attacking threat and strikeforce (the people who tend to win you games) even at this early stage of the season?No-one expected it to be easy, but I expected a little more in the way of attacking threat.[/quote]

we do have attacking threat, we''ve created loads of chances?

[/quote]When we start being awarded points for creating chances, let me know.

Pinkun Role Model wroteHowever you are a SKY subscriber?LDC wrote  :  I  don''t understand.  What has whether I am or not a Sky subscriber got to do with anything??      Pinkun Role Model wrote : Thanks, that''s all I was wondering.

Pleasure.  For what it''s worth, I don''t agree with Sky TV.  Its people that end up paying for it anyway.   People pay their money to Sky, it passes on to football clubs  who pass it into the players pockets.    Its inflationary and as usual its joe public that have to pay for it.