Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

lack of striker

It really is going to come back and bite us on the a%* A good team but not the clinical finish. We look like a toothless tiger at present. Am watching this on TV and it feels like we could carry on all night and not bang it in the net.

its about the system as much as lack of striker. Under Lambert we would have taken off Surnham for Kane. Changed the formation and gone for the win. Houghton keeps the same system, and keeps it tight. Without a pouches this system will be tough. Instead of winning or losing 3 2 we will see many 1 1s.

Let''s not panic. We had 20 shots, 11 which were on target. Like with Freidel, we were foiled by some decent saves. It will come, and when it does we will get more confident and kick on.

[quote user="Ncfc"]Grant Holt was a waste of a shirt today why oh why have we tied ourselves to this aging lump for the next three years .[/quote]

Hindsight much?

Holty was rubbish today and the previous 3 games.

This was always my concern when he got his 3 year deal, that he would sit back and feel that the pressure to perform was relieved now that he had his precious deal.

He is not half the player he has been for us.

We never looked like scoring all match , thats 2 points from 2 of the easiest home matches we will have , be a massive job to finish anywhere but bottom .

[quote user="Ncfc"]We never looked like scoring all match , thats 2 points from 2 of the easiest home matches we will have , be a massive job to finish anywhere but bottom .[/quote]
Grow up.

Harry Kane will kick off our season. Didnt have the chance to settle properly today but looked a class above the other strikers on the pitch. I am optimistic

[quote user="Ncfc"]Grant Holt was a waste of a shirt today why oh why have we tied ourselves to this aging lump for the next three years .[/quote]

so he had a bad day,saw no lack of commitment on the pitch.....only from posters on here

The defence looked solid

However in midfield howson looked like he was still waking up and needed replacing at half time, shocking he lasted 90 mins again. Johnson & surman started well but faded. It was calling out for a change

we did have efforts, but none looked like scoring; more penetration is needed from midfield as well as the strikers. Morison and Jackson to start next week for me.

Relegation? Really? Far to early to say that. However if we continue to to perform like today we will struggle this season;

2 points is disappointing, the performances a worry.

and telling someone to grow up really does not add to any discussion.. - whether you were talking to yourself or another poster.

[quote user="Being Jan Kristiansen..."]its about the system as much as lack of striker. Under Lambert we would have taken off Surnham for Kane. Changed the formation and gone for the win. Houghton keeps the same system, and keeps it tight. Without a pouches this system will be tough. Instead of winning or losing 3 2 we will see many 1 1s.[/quote]#Is it really this difficult?

[quote user="nolegs"][quote user="Ncfc"]Grant Holt was a waste of a shirt today why oh why have we tied ourselves to this aging lump for the next three years .[/quote]

so he had a bad day,saw no lack of commitment on the pitch.....only from posters on here[/quote]

Holt was poor today, not his usual commitment due to lack of fitness and should have been subbed earlier - is that 4 off games / days then?

I think he will come right, in the meantime he warms the bench next week for me. I dont have concerns about 3 years signed up - just how he performed today.

He was not the only one underperforming though.

I agree with dpit, Kane was a breath of fresh air when he came on.  The trouble is I think this just serves to show up how frail we are up top.  As CH says, Kane will be a super player but I dont think he is really ready to play week in week out in the premier league just yet.  And that is our problem, Kane looked like our best striker but isnt ready.  CH needed to add a proven striker over the summer but put all his effort into the defence.  We will get some clean sheets but I cant see many goals in us unless things improve, and in the end goals get the points.Can someone cheer me up please?

By the time Kane is getting regular goals he will be back at Spurs, he is too young and raw and all we are really doing is helping a divisional rival develop their potential.

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"]To get many 1-1''s we have to get the ''1'' first........ [:''(][/quote]
Haven''t 50% of our games been 1-1?

[quote user="Ncfc"]We never looked like scoring all match , thats 2 points from 2 of the easiest home matches we will have , be a massive job to finish anywhere but bottom .[/quote]
We had about 20 shots FFS, 14 some sources say, ON target!  Were it not for some great goalkeeping and last ditch defending we may have had 3 in the first half.  Never looked like scoring?  My arse.

[quote user="Chucky"]Can someone cheer me up please?[/quote]

Unbeaten in four games, strikers yet to find their form and no reason to think they won''t.    Good defence means solid foundation for building confidence throughout the team.  It only takes one goal and the whole mood will change for the better.

How am I doing?

Quality squad still finding their feet under a new manager,  picking up points even though not at our best.    15th in the table.  

Need I go on?

Just a question for the people who are saying that Kane will be the answer to our striking problems. If he is the answer what happens when he goes back to Spurs? We are back to square one needing a striker again. I don''t see how this is solving the problem.

I don''t think it was Hughton''s intetntion to play 4-4-2 this season, instead to play with a loan striker, how else can we account for the sheer numbers of midfielders at the club compared to strikers?. There was plenty of debate yesterday concerning how we could fit Hoolahan into the side if he came on let alone the likes Bennett,Fox,Tettey and Butterfield ,at least 3 of these will be sitting in the stands on a matchday whilst we''re looking accross the bench wondering which strikers can come on and get us a goal. So maybe with that in mind Hughton thought that there was enough strikers at the club if we playing a 4-5-1?. The fact that he used this system (whilst simultaneoulsy shipping Vaughan out) in the last 3 friendlies clearly shows that this was his itention going into the season however such was the nature of the defeat at Fulham coupled with an improved performance against QPR in the next game whilst playing with two strikers, maybe Hughton has had to climbdown from his original plans and accept that the players are more comfortable in a 4-4-2?......the problem now being that he hadn''t been planning for this all summer and in the end had to make a last minute stab in the window with Kane after other targets fell through?