Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

would you rather?

have clean sheets and powder puff attacking like today or the gung ho attacking football we had under he who shall not be named? I know what I prefer and I didnt see any of it today!!! we never got the full backs forward hardly or put any decent crosses in!! How many times did Holt even get into the box? I dont think he did hardly!!! I hope it is a blip and after only 4 games it is too early to judge BUT it needs to be addressed ASAP in my opinion!!

I didn''t mind conceding 1 or 2 when we were scoring 2 or 3.Now we can barely score 1, it adds pressure onto the defence rather than taking pressure off.

We weren''t rubbish in attack, we just didn''t finish our chances. We attack just as much as we ever have. We had 14 shots on target today. Problem was the finishing, not the general attacking play.

so GP what do you propose then to solve the problem? most of those shots were from outside the box, and if we cannot score from 14 chances what are we going to do? You say we wont go down and I hope you are right BUT we need to score goals to win games!!!

Most of our shots weren''t from outside the box, I only remember three on target shots from outside the area.

The finishing will come. We only scored 2/3 in the first 4 games last season, Holt will find his feet. Goals will come from midfield, Jackson will score a few, Morison and Kane I''m sure will add to the tally. And if someone who can actually put the ball into a dangerous area from corners starts to do that we will score from a fair few set pieces as well.

Kane will be the difference. It will take him 3 or 4 games to hit his stride but I saw enough today to make methink he will be our main goal scorer for the season. Yes he fluffed his lines at key moments in his debut but in his short time on the pitch he also showed touches and positional sense that makes me optimistic.

why is everyone saying this happened or that happened LAST season? It is immaterial what happened then, its now that matters!!!!

[quote user="baldyboy"]why is everyone saying this happened or that happened LAST season? It is immaterial what happened then, its now that matters!!!![/quote]Positively priceless !!Suggest you re-read the opening post of this thread that you yourself wrote and see if there''s any mention of last season contained therein......

[quote user="baldyboy"]why is everyone saying this happened or that happened LAST season? It is immaterial what happened then, its now that matters!!!!
[/quote]

Totally agree; the past does not equal the future! We need points now, not later.

We may have tightened up at the back (Bassong looks immense) but that''s not much use if we fail to score is it? A 0-0 home draw against a Man Utd or Man City may be acceptable, but not against many of the other teams when they come to Carrow Road!

''Fortune favours the brave'':

I know we''ve moved on, but already I''m missing the entertainment value that Paul Lambert brought us...so many exciting games won in the last 10 minutes - and that was never going to be the case yesterday.  Chris Hughton and his team need to get their creative hats on next week!...

Talk about a load of B.S. If we had taken 1 of the several chances in the last 3 games we''d be on 9pts and sat in 3rd in the table. S*** pen decision and Zamora encroaching at QPR plus hitting the bar with Russ and Snoddy missing a sitter..a pen that should have been at Spurs where Moro had his shirt almost lifted off could have led to an earlier equaliser for us plus we missed some good chances through Johnson and Snodgrass again and Friedel was on form..West Ham we missed several chances again and the keeper made some great stops plus Kane missed a beauty. We''ve had a few clear-cut chances in each game and it''s hardly been ''powder-puff'' attacking. I like the idea of us having a solid base and not having to score 2-3 goals every game to get something. I know we worked differently under PL and it was still enjoyable to watch, but the reality is that CH plays a different game, but it''s certainly not negative like Stoke! The most negative game was the first against Fulham and that was rectified instantly against QPR and the following games. We just need that bit of level-headedness up front and bit of luck. I hope we play the same way and with the same work ethic and defence, but just with a bit more luck and quality at times at the sharp end. I would like to see Butterfield at some point too

I would rather we keep it tight like we are doing and take our chances, I think in time this will be what happens, That way we don''t need to score 2 or 3 goals to get a point. I think we are one centre forward away from being a very decent team, Maybe Kane wiill be that player, but if he is not the bank must be broken to get him in January.

[quote user="Zachariah Lovespoon"]Just a theory baldyboy but I think people are referring to

Last season because that''s how you started the thread[/quote]As if that wasn''t enough, here''s the first four league results and the League Cup game from last year:

Sat 13 Aug Wigan Athletic A  League D 1-1   Hoolahan 45
Sun 21 Aug STOKE CITY H  League D 1-1   de Laet 37
Tue 23 Aug MILTON KEYNES DONS H  League Cup L 0-4  
Sat 27 Aug Chelsea A  League L 1-3   Holt 63
Sun 11 Sep WEST BROMWICH ALBION H  League L 0-1  
Where''s the evidence of gung-ho attacking there?

Jolly entertaining it was but it wasn''t a feasible strategy to play outscore the opposition after giving them a goal start again this season.

This is especially the case against the background of Morison''s form disappearing post-Christmas, Jackson who lacks the quality to score 10+ PL goals and the loaning out of Vaughan.

So some new defenders were needed but also a quality striker to support Holt.

January - breaking the bank or not - will be too late (again).

"January - breaking the bank or not - will be too late (again). "

I Don''t think that will be the case this season as I think it''s going to be very tight between 5 or 6 teams all season. So the right player through the doors in January would hopefully pull us clear of the pack in the 2nd half of the season.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Jolly entertaining it was but it wasn''t a feasible strategy to play outscore the opposition after giving them a goal start again this season.

This is especially the case against the background of Morison''s form disappearing post-Christmas, Jackson who lacks the quality to score 10+ PL goals and the loaning out of Vaughan.

January - breaking the bank or not - will be too late (again).[/quote]

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

[quote user="Steady On..."]

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Jolly entertaining it was but it wasn''t a feasible strategy to play outscore the opposition after giving them a goal start again this season.

January - breaking the bank or not - will be too late (again).[/quote]

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

[/quote]

Don''t worry I''ll be up at Newcastle again following - and cheering - our boys in yellow. I''ll keep any less positive feelings for the board after the game - but hopefully I''ll be full of positivity!

Jesus, imagine if Hughton stuck on Hoolahan for Surman, Hoolahan got caught out when drifting around the pitch, as he does, and Jarvis burst through, whipped a ball in and Nolan scores. Which at the time was quite likely to happen as the game was so finely balanced and West Ham were probably looking the more likely. This board would have gone into meltdown still!

Hughton has already given us an incredibly more stable and strong defence this season without losing the potent attack, we had enough chances to beat QPR, Friedel had an amazing game against us for Spurs which is why we didn''t beat them and West Ham keeper made 4 or 5 great saves again denying us a victory. We had 14 shots on target, not to mention the chances that just went wide. Another day we would have won that game comfortably.

Jackson is looking very lively so far this season, Grant Holt never starts well and our midfield will also score plenty of goals to. The football I have seen so far this season has impressed me a lot, nice little one two''s and through balls, we have been creating chances... Calm down people!

But G imagine if Hoolahan had beaten 3 players  nipped into the box and given Morison a tap in and we won 1-0 which was also likely to happen!!! Jez, stop being defensive at home and freakin attack ffs!!!

It wasn''t likely to happen though was it... we were getting caught out time and time again on the wings, thankfully there crossing was awful, all we needed was Wes leaving another gap for Jarvis or Vaz te to run in to.

I think the real difference between CH and "He who must not be named for fear of upsetting the Board Police" is that the latter has the ability to bring on players late in a game and alter the tactics usually resulting in a positive outcome. So far CH has simply made changes that are at best neutral and designed to hold what we have. a season full of draws will not be good enough I''m afraid.

wins from games where we are the better team,  good defending and fine finishing to avoid relegation.     Both styles are OK and we are being entertained so thats not the problem - so it becomes all about the points.

[quote user="baldyboy"]But G imagine if Hoolahan had beaten 3 players  nipped into the box and given Morison a tap in and we won 1-0 which was also likely to happen!!! Jez, stop being defensive at home and freakin attack ffs!!![/quote]

We did, 20 shots, 14 on target. A large number of which were from inside the box. I call that attacking.

The time to worry is when we are drawing matches 0-0 and having no chances to win the game.

That was not the case Saturday, we made chances, we had plenty of shots and we could have won the game (probably should have) in the last five minutes.

Don''t panic!

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="baldyboy"]But G imagine if Hoolahan had beaten 3 players  nipped into the box and given Morison a tap in and we won 1-0 which was also likely to happen!!! Jez, stop being defensive at home and freakin attack ffs!!![/quote]

We did, 20 shots, 14 on target. A large number of which were from inside the box. I call that attacking.[/quote]
Don''t bother GP, some people will never be happy. Last season baldyboy made numerous threads regarding our inability to defend and criticized Lambert for being too reckless, Hughton comes in and fins a decent balance between defence and attack but is negative because he actually wants the team to be defensively solid. Norwich were amongst the highest shooters in the Premier League over the weekend, but some poster on here make it sound like we played a 9-0-----------1 formation.