Sign in to follow this  
Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . .

My two over riding thoughts on the game.

Firstly, why the hell did hughton not bring on hoolahan!? The game was crying out for him. Secondly the atmosphere was like a morgue again. Don''t know what is wrong with the vast majority of our home supporters but they need to get behind the team even when the peformance isn''t great. Poor all round.

Watched on TV so can''t really comment on the second point but totally agree with the first, game was crying out for him.

we need better consistency from our midfield and strikers who will at least get efforts on target - both were missing.

Changes were obviously needed in midfield from the first half, by not changing, as we did not against spurs, we have got less out of the game than we could have.

Instead we got what we deserved

Agree the game needed Hoolahan, or Fox for that matter. We were sitting so deep there was tonnes of space which Hoolahan would have loved.

As for the atmosphere, despite the late flurry of chances, the second half was more like watching a kickaround in a park. Neither team looked like they wanted to win it

We needed Fox in that final 15 minutes when things went poorly, not Wes. We were struggling to keep possession, kicking the ball long to West Ham''s centre-backs who had no problems dealing with them. Most of our chances were created when we had the ball on the ground and were offering the player in possession options, by the 70th minute no one was offering a short option, not even Howson who''s movement is amongst the best in our team. We needed a player to come on, get the ball under control and get us creating chances on the ground again, Fox is ideal for this, I''m still shocked Hughton didn''t bring him on.

Fox and Hoolahoop definitely would have been more creative options. One of them would have done me, but alas it wasn''t to be. Shame Kane couldn''t score at the death. What a debut that would have been. Would have made me much happier that''s for sure

York Canary:
Hoolahan would''ve been marked out of the game when he was brought on, they would have Diame/Noble man-mark him out of the game, we didn''t need extra creativity we needed extra possession, Fox was our best bet and Hughton didn''t bring him on, something I find very frustrating.

I can''t criticise because I''m stuck up here in Shef, but I can note that the crowd certainly seemed to be enjoying the sun too much today.  I watched some of the old encounters v Wet Sham on you tube yesterday and noted that if it weren''t for the travelling fans there would have been no atmosphere in those 80''s/90''s matches (though with crowds of only 12 - 13,000 no surprise really).  Whilst noting that though I did think at least things have changed now.  But today - mmm, I expected a bit more.  Tin hat on.

It was such a physical game I think Hoolahan would have struggled. Fox or Tettey, if he were on the bench, was what was needed. I thought the atmosphere was okay actually.

I''m not sure Hoolahan or Fox would have helped.  We kept losing possesion easily but I think that was more down to West Ham stopping us from playing than us having a bad day.  West Ham got in our faces right from the start not allowing any of our midfield time on the ball, I''m not sure that Fox would have made a big difference in this department.  For this reason I also thought that maybe Hoolahan wasn''t the right sort of player to bring on.  We needed someone more pacy and direct like Bennet or Pilkington but obviously these two weren''t availible.  I actually think we played quite well in the circumstances, we definitely created enough chances to win.

We had a tough run in last season and everyone got all nervous, we beat Spurs and that all changed. There are tough runs in the Premier League, look at Southampton, it doesn''t boil down to that.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We''ll get no points from the next five games - any confidence will be lost - and we''ll be too fat adrift to recover in January.[/quote]When you feel the first spot of rain do you go and build an Ark?

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Highland Canary"]We''ll get no points from the next five games - any confidence will be lost - and we''ll be too fat adrift to recover in January.[/quote]

When you feel the first spot of rain do you go and build an Ark?

[/quote]

[:D]

[quote user="G"]It was such a physical game I think Hoolahan would have struggled. Fox or Tettey, if he were on the bench, was what was needed. I thought the atmosphere was okay actually.[/quote]
I was wondering who to give the most ridiculous post of the day award to, so congratulations.  Wes is a Premier League footballer, why exactly would he struggle if it''s a physical game?  They''re all physical games!  If Wes, or any of the smaller players in the league were not played by their managers because it might get a bit physical, no one under 6''0'''' would ever get a bloody game. Wes is more than quick footed enough to deal with the physical side of things, as he has ably demonstrated on many occasions. And how would you know that Tettey is what was needed, have you seen him play a lot?  Obviously the manager doesn''t agree with you as he wasn''t even on the bench.

I think we are missing some creativity in the midfield which is why I and other people on this tread agree the game was crying out for hoolahan, we haven''t even seen tetty yet and as far is I know he is a physical player who likes to get stuck in, the midfield I would go for against Newcastle if all were fit would be

Fox. Tetty/Jonson

Snodgrass. Hoolahan. Pilkington

I''ve been impressed with snoddys defensive work so I think a more attacking and creative midfield with the two holding players will work out well against Newcastle there wingers are probably there weakest part of there team unless Ben arfa gets played on the wing.

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Highland Canary"]We''ll get no points from the next five games - any confidence will be lost - and we''ll be too fat adrift to recover in January.[/quote]When you feel the first spot of rain do you go and build an Ark?

[/quote]

[/quote]

I look forward to challenging for a playoff spot in the Championship

[quote user="Highland Canary"][quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Highland Canary"]We''ll get no points from the next five games - any confidence will be lost - and we''ll be too fat adrift to recover in January.[/quote]

When you feel the first spot of rain do you go and build an Ark?

[/quote]

[/quote]

I look forward to challenging for a playoff spot in the Championship

[/quote]

Yes,you probably do.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Gingerpele"]We will beat Newcastle and Liverpool.[/quote]FWIW, I don''t think we will.  But I''ll cross my fingers for the team.[/quote]

Well I think we''ll win every game, so yeah i''m not very reliable :P

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="G"]It was such a physical game I think Hoolahan would have struggled. Fox or Tettey, if he were on the bench, was what was needed. I thought the atmosphere was okay actually.[/quote]
I was wondering who to give the most ridiculous post of the day award to, so congratulations.  Wes is a Premier League footballer, why exactly would he struggle if it''s a physical game?  They''re all physical games!  If Wes, or any of the smaller players in the league were not played by their managers because it might get a bit physical, no one under 6''0'''' would ever get a bloody game. Wes is more than quick footed enough to deal with the physical side of things, as he has ably demonstrated on many occasions. And how would you know that Tettey is what was needed, have you seen him play a lot?  Obviously the manager doesn''t agree with you as he wasn''t even on the bench.
[/quote]
Wes has been man marked out of games before by physical opposition, Milwall have done it twice in recent memory, Allardyce is no fool, he would have told Diame to stick to Hoolahan and not give him any time on the ball. Hoolahan is a good player but even he''d struggle to break free of Diame''s physicality. 

Congratulations to the OP for making sure we have the usual moan about our supporters after every home game.

As someone else commented on this thread, do you ever go to away games. Did you go to Tottenham last week?

Our crowds are as good as anywhere else but some of the contributors on this board are... well special and precious.

I was also disappointed we didn''t beat a very poor West Ham team, but it''s too early to judge Hughton. He is still learning about his players and what they can and can''t do - lots of us think they are better than he does; that is obvious from his remarks to the press. Once they push on with his systems and plans we will look better.

He has certainly made us harder to score against by the lesser teams - we will find out in the next 4 games whether we can also stop the better teams scoring.

I''m nt at all worried about Holt or relegation. Holt always starts slow and I am totally confident he will score goals. As for relegation, I just don''t see it with the players we have. At this stage last year I was struggling to come up with 3 worse teams - this year I could give you 8 or 9.