Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Holt looks a fat northern layabout

Holt IS playing a different role and it is clear to see that he is being told to play in that position. Frankly as we commented yesterday from block E, he does not look overly happy doing that. If the manager reverts him back to his best and clinical position, he will get goals.

What I notice every season with Holt is at the start of the campaign his timing always seems to be out going up for headers and often prefers to wrestle the defender instead of making an attempt to win the ball. Then something happens mid October. This all changes and he''s becomes a world beater.

Having said that I still wish we''d have taken the money for Holt and bought Jordan Rhodes.

Which brings us back to my earlier point that the sensi me discussion is not Holt himself but his new role. Chops may despair. I think it is interesting and as Ron says, even City fans grossly underestimate Holt''s footballing ability preferring to see him as a brute who bullies goals rather than the very aware and skilful player that he is.

I''m not saying that he had a great game yesterday. He did ik but nit vintage Holt. His different role does explain some of the criticisms.

What I find really sad is that so much criticism is thinly guarded revenge and spiteful payback for his transfer request. He spoilt your egos by not pretending you are the only love of his life and so you''ll have a go st every opportunity. Some posters need to look in the mirror and get over the fact that their Gid had a wobble and forgive him. Apart from the fact he chose us, it was a very unsettling time for everyone with Lambert going.

Is some of the Holt really surrogate Lambert Hate?

Sorry - Which brings us back to my earlier point that the sensible discussion is not Holt himself but his new role. Chops may despair. I think it is interesting and as Ron says, even City fans grossly underestimate Holt''s footballing ability preferring to see him as a brute who bullies goals rather than the very aware and skilful player that he is.

I''m not saying that he had a great game yesterday. He did ok but not vintage Holt. His different role does explain some of the criticisms.

What I find really sad is that so much criticism is thinly guarded revenge and spiteful payback for his transfer request. He spoilt your egos by not pretending you are the only love of his life and so you''ll have a go st every opportunity. Some posters need to look in the mirror and get over the fact that their God had a wobble and forgive him. Apart from the fact he chose us, it was a very unsettling time for everyone with Lambert going.

Is some of the Holt really surrogate Lambert Hate?

I could be desperately unhappy and still give my best for 20k a week.

Holt has been one of the main pillars of this clubs success and in return he has enjoyed a renaissance, adulation, fame, recognition and money to set him up for life.

Our team under PL was based on players hungry on the pitch. Does Holt still have that kind of hunger?

Perhaps he needed to go elsewhere for himself because the change would have re- motivated him?

Either way, we have thrown in our lot with this man and Chris Martin at the expense of keeping Vaughan and bringing in an experienced striker. Sport is a mind game, where are theirs?

Whether he starts slow or not, we can''t afford for him to play like that til mid October. Drop him now, as Lambert did last season, til he bucks his ideas up.

I don''t think we''ve seen the last of the Holt of last season, but I think a spell as super sub will do him wonders.

Yellow Messiah, I will remind you of this post halfway through the season. How can you call the player who kept us in the Premier League last season, a fat Northern layabout? Unbelievable!

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]Which brings us back to my earlier point that

the sensi me discussion is not Holt himself but his new role. Chops may despair.

I think it is interesting and as Ron says, even City fans grossly underestimate

Holt''s footballing ability preferring to see him as a brute who bullies goals

rather than the very aware and skilful player that he is. [/quote]

The problem is we can''t clone him so Holt drops deep and creates chances for

Holt to convert.  Asking him to create chances for Morison, Jackson, Kane is something of a thankless task and it must be frustrating for a player, who is used to scoring goals, to end up in the role of provider to the wasteful.

Holt still has a lot to offer, but he needs to be scoring regularly if we''re going to stay up and by limiting his opportunities to do that, Hughton is not playing to his strengths.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

What insentive is there for Holt to play well?

Through his toys out the pram and get a nice new contract!! (I''d never have given him that, in fact I would have sold him)

He got his 3 year contract (£20k a week is £3m+ over the 3 years) he probably realises he doesnt need to play again after this contract runs out. He will be financially secure for life. Why try?!

[/quote]

just out of interest, who would you buy who can score 16 league goals for £4-6m?

Not getting in a striker was criminal but we decided to put all our eggs in the Holt basket , At the very best Holt was never ever going to have another season like last year at worst well you are seeing that now . Holt, Morison,Jackson and Martin as a Premiership strikeforce and all we add in the summer is Kane , if we go down we cannot grumble at all .

Well, he does look a bit fat, and he''s from Carlisle (northern), so that''s two factually correct contentions in the topic title - the only debatable point is whether he looked like a layabout in Saturday''s match. Yes, he probably did.

Come on, Holty - shape up! Make yourself a Norwich City hero once more.

[quote user="Ncfc"]Not getting in a striker was criminal but we decided to put all our eggs in the Holt basket , At the very best Holt was never ever going to have another season like last year at worst well you are seeing that now . Holt, Morison,Jackson and Martin as a Premiership strikeforce and all we add in the summer is Kane , if we go down we cannot grumble at all . [/quote]

Yes, interesting to recall that when we were last promoted we failed to make Crouch a permanent signing, a striker who after all these years still fails to get the recognition he deserves. We brought In Ashton in the January but of course it transpired that was too later. So, will history repeat itself I wonder ? Will our failure to bring in a good striker prove to be our downfall again ? That having been said, I do feel that it is too early to dismiss HK although and, of course, our defence now is proving already to be a very different proposition from 2004/5 and indeed last year.

other than the fact the OP picked a rediculous thread title, I think he has a point.

I can''t believe people are happy to "wait till mid-october" before we start seeing performances. Apply this thought to any other player and it would not be acceptable. Imagine if Ruddy needed the first 2 months of the season to prepare! I think people are just telling themselves this to justify the love we all have for him. He needs to turn up, and soon. Lets face it, he is our strike force.

Agreed we aren''t playing him as a "number 9" at the moment, and that is where he is at his best. We basically don''t have the personel to play our best striker to his main strength, and unfortunately we only have Hughtons transfer dealings to blame for this (Although he has achieved what he set out to do, and sured up the defence nicely). I''m almost thinking giving the 4-5-1 another try might be best, this way we can utalise Holt as a striker and get Hoolahan on the pitch (we all know Holt is at his best when Hools is supporting him). Shame the only evidence of that system is a 5-0 defeat. Otherwise I''m at a loss as we need Holt in the box. As we''ve seen from the last 3 games, we are making plenty of chances but have nobody to put them away.

Sorry, forgot to mention that OP''s title of this thread is unpleasant, unconstructive and unnecessary. Idiot. (I think this is the accepted sign-off to posts on here !)

I''d steve gedge start this thread? Because I''ve just read his bit in the pinkun and it''s probably the worst piece of journalism ive ever read, pretty sure he isn''t a Norwich fan.

[quote user="Steady On..."]I''d steve gedge start this thread? Because I''ve just read his bit in the pinkun and it''s probably the worst piece of journalism ive ever read, pretty sure he isn''t a Norwich fan.[/quote]

lol - not everyone who agrees with you and just because he sees things differently to you does not mean he is not a norwich fan either.

I dont necessarily agree with his views but he is paid to share his opinion.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]And you can read Steve''s column here
[/quote]

Well I just picked over the article and my opinion is that we would have coped with Carroll. But I don''t get paid for my opinion. And whether I get paid or not my prospects aren''t influenced by a binner editor.

Gawd bless ya garv..

Thanks SDP; 

An article from a half glass empty perspective thats true;  but strengths recognised and concerns fairly put across,  nothing to challenge journalistic capability or binner associations,   perhaps the binner accusation is the laziest easiest thing to cast at someone having a disperate view?  That really is dull.

I agree Nutty,  I suspect we would have probably coped with Carrolls threat, with bassong and barnett looking strong.     On a good day though Carroll can cause anyone problems (ask John Terry or Hangeland for example),  so Gedge may be right - Cole is not half the threat of carroll so we simply wont know unless he plays when we visit UP.        

ZLF,Steve''s not the most optimistic Norwich City fan, but a Norwich City fan (season ticket holder, regular away traveller, etc) nonetheless.

But you wouldn''t deny a poster his little bit of fun would you Zip?

I''m not a great lover of the articles. Whether they are Steve Gedge, Richard Balls or Rick Waghorn they are but personal opinion. And whilst I wouldn''t deny anyone the right to their opinion these opinions are printed in the newspaper and because of that there are many who give them more credence than they deserve.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]ZLF,

Steve''s not the most optimistic Norwich City fan, but a Norwich City fan (season ticket holder, regular away traveller, etc) nonetheless.
[/quote]

And Pete, nobody has questioned Steve''s credentials as a Norwich fan. But in the inetests of fairness will you now post the editors credentials as a Norwich fan?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]ZLF,Steve''s not the most optimistic Norwich City fan, but a Norwich City fan (season ticket holder, regular away traveller, etc) nonetheless.[/quote]

And Pete, nobody has questioned Steve''s credentials as a Norwich fan. But in the inetests of fairness will you now post the editors credentials as a Norwich fan?

[/quote]I thought Steady On had?Of course. The editor is a Blackpool fan. Previous editors of both titles have supported Peterborough, Newcastle, Spurs, Newcastle (again) in that order. The Head of Sport supports Peterborough, before him Aston Villa, and Liverpool before him. He who has run this site for more than a decade supports Norwich City.