Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Holt looks a fat northern layabout

Really working hard for that lovely 3 year contract isn''t he, Holt was awful today, in fact I can''t remember him doing one thing to our advantage. The worst decision of the game was to bring Jackson off before Holt. Morison for all his critics, worked hard and did more in his 30 minutes than Holt did all game. Hopefully Holt is still useful as an impact player from the bench as at the moment he is simply not fit enough to last 90 minutes.

I fear that Holt has been "found out" by other teams and will struggle to get as many goals as last season. We will have to be more clinical against Newcastle, so Morison has to start along with Jackson or Kane.

This is a very proportionate response, nice typing!He has not been very good so far this year and to be honest I think Morro has been unlucky to find himself on the bench but maybe Hoots knows that Holt can score lots of goals and he probably needs game time to start doing that again, as such, he will put up with the abject displays to get to the good stuff.Maybe we should give him a little more time and see if the team can find a way to play with him (our style has changed) and whether or not he can find his form, but I think saying he looks like a ''fat northern layabout'' is not offering the support or critical analysis that might be useful.

Thread title a bit harsh but agree that Holt needs to sort himself out after creating all that fuss over a new contract.

Agreed with a caller on Canary Call [:O]  that Holt should be on bench next game and let Moro or Kane start with Jackson. Or even Kane and Moro to start.

Re: Holt looks a fat northern layabout

What an awful beginning to a topic that needs discussing. Holt''s efforts have been there or thereabouts along with what we have come to expect from him over the seasons, especially against QPR. He does lack sharpness atm and clearly needs a goal. It will all come together sooner rather than later. Those who seem to be jumping at the chance of writing the great man off after just four games (which have included much good work,) will eat their words before long.

Although Holt hasn''t been at his best this season to be fair the service wasn''t great. For advocating dropping him for Jackson/Morison - do you really believe they''ll score a hatful of PL goals. Morsion doesn''t look half the player he did a year ago and Jackson lacks the quality to score consistently at this level. As for Kane I''ll reserve judgment. But that''s the point we knew we were weak up front and failed to take that seriously. The consequences are clear to see.

What insentive is there for Holt to play well?

Through his toys out the pram and get a nice new contract!! (I''d never have given him that, in fact I would have sold him)

He got his 3 year contract (£20k a week is £3m+ over the 3 years) he probably realises he doesnt need to play again after this contract runs out. He will be financially secure for life. Why try?!

"Looked like a Sunday morning pub player , he just reminds you of Hartson upfront"

I was a Sunday morning pub player in the twilight of my playing career and I would not put GH''s current contribution within a million miles of stooping to that weighty, boozy level of clod-hopperin fun.

I realise you were jesting and decry Grant''s contribution all you like, but be sensible.

These stereotype critiques of a star Norwich slalwart are best left to the limited imagination of jealous tractor boys.

He was like this last season he''s a player who always comes back from the summer over weight just people seem to be noticing it more probably due to the bad way he handled his contract, but thats not an excuse as it''s a lack of professionalism and Morison should start next game. Once Holts fighting for his spot in the team again rather than coasting along he''ll come good i''m sure.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

Through his toys out the pram and get a nice new contract!! (I''d never have given him that, in fact I would have sold him)

He got his 3 year contract (£20k a week is £3m+ over the 3 years) he probably realises he doesnt need to play again after this contract runs out. He will be financially secure for life. Why try?!

[/quote]Can''t believe I''m going to say this... but I think I agree with ''Nana!

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]Can''t believe I''m going to say this... but I think I agree with ''Nana![/quote]interesting thought it has to be said.. if Holt essentially held the club to ransom over a new deal then who agreed to sign it? Lambert was leaving just as the whole fiasco started, it seemed to be finalised before Hughton was settling in t the role which means someone on the board who was looking after day to day affairs at the club dropped their trousers....

I think the hole Holt contract was to placate the fans over Lambert going... some body within the club needed to grow a pair.. we can point and speculate and name names but if Holt doesn’t hit the heights of last season then somebody in the hierarchy will have some serious explaining to do....Balls in your court Holty.... to save egg on the face of someone if nothing else.

Yellow Messiah - if you really are a Norwich supporter, you are  a disgrace to the football club and imo should not be allowed to get away with abusive thread titles.  Your kind of jingoistic  language is out of date, innacurate and does you no credit.    What are you?  Are you as loud mouthed unpleasant sounding as your thread title suggests?   

Living up north as I do now,  I know people here are as hard working up here as anywhere in the country.  Your kind are thankfully few and far between and most people will recognise it.  

As for  Holt - he always gives 100% and will always score goals - ffs get behind our players.

I despair of this board sometimes.

I''m really hoping holt comes good, but on this seasons performances, as few as they have been, it''s not looking very good!

Yes yes we all know he starts slow, but he looked very very off par today, lacking desire IMHO, jumping for the ball too early, on the wing one minute, in midfield another. Erm he''s a striker is he not?

The general opinion around us in the lower barclay was that maybe we should have sold him, and on today''s performance, or lack of, I''m thinking that too.

When Holt put in a transfer request he crossed a line. If you''re not 100% committed to the cause you should go. We should have taken the West Ham cash. Stuck with a disinterested player on top dollar who we now can''t offload. And I don''t buy this taking until October to get going. He''s a proffesional athlete. He should have been in peak condition for the first game.That''s what pre-season is for. That he was shows a lack of tespect for the club and those poor souls that pay his even more inflated wages. Hero to zero ina few short weeks.

There is no way the OP is a supporter of Norwich City, the subject title is a digrace.

Holt we all know starts a little slowly, but he clearly worked hard today and contributed today but without causing the problems he usually does, he will simply get better....like he has done each season since he joined us.

[quote user="lake district canary"]As for  Holt - he always gives 100% and will always score goals - ffs get behind our players.

I despair of this board sometimes. [/quote]Your first sentence is clearly inaccurate.As for your second, the door''s over there.

I find this thread and especially the title extraordinary.

No one has mentioned much less discussed the obvious fact that Holt was playing deeper today so of course he will be less threatening up front. It was clear that Hughton had selected Holt to win the ball and get in the faces of the West Ham midfield and defence. Jackson was placed up front to stand on the last man and use his speed to feed off the balls that Holt and the midfield could get to him.

I thought Holt did a decent stint in that role. He wonball. He ran channnels It is strsnge that he gets criticised for being in different places when that was what he was supposed to do. He got in the way and some of his lay offs were excellent. but the bottom line is that Holt was playing where Hughton put it.

Now there is a perfectly sensible discussion about whether Holt''s role today was the best use of his talents but the infantile attacks on Holt really miss the point

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"]As for  Holt - he always gives 100% and will always score goals - ffs get behind our players.

I despair of this board sometimes. [/quote]Your first sentence is clearly inaccurate.As for your second, the door''s over there.[/quote]

Your first sentence is wrong - look at the history books.As for your second..........after you.......

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"]
As for  Holt - he always gives 100% and will always score goals - ffs get behind our players.

[/quote]

Your first sentence is clearly inaccurate.

As for your second, the door''s over there.

[/quote]

Your first sentence is wrong - look at the history books.

As for your second..........after you.......

[/quote]

Your original sentance is wrong. If your telling me Holt gave 100% today i''ll stop posting on this forum.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

When Holt put in a transfer request he crossed a line. If you''re not 100% committed to the cause you should go. We should have taken the West Ham cash. Stuck with a disinterested player on top dollar who we now can''t offload. And I don''t buy this taking until October to get going. He''s a proffesional athlete. He should have been in peak condition for the first game.That''s what pre-season is for. That he was shows a lack of tespect for the club and those poor souls that pay his even more inflated wages. Hero to zero ina few short weeks.[/quote]

WELL SAID!!!!

100% correct!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

Your first sentence is clearly inaccurate.

As for your second, the door''s over there.

[/quote]

Your first sentence is wrong - look at the history books.

As for your second..........after you.......

[/quote]

Your original sentance is wrong. If your telling me Holt gave 100% today i''ll stop posting on this forum.

[/quote]

Is that a promise?................because he did.

He was just asked to play a deeper role today,  couldn''t you see that?

I freeze framed some of the MOTD footage and was shocked to see the obvious ''spare tyre'' Holt is carrying. He did exceptionally well last season to get himself into great shape but has clearly lapsed and that off the back of a longer and larger contract.

I know plenty of people who do a job of work and in their spare time keep themselves in shape. And while at 52 time is hardly on my side I push myself to my limits exercise wise because my heart is in it.

Holt keeps fit for a living, in theory, and must have the drive and self respect to be the best he can be. If he needs an example look at Russ Martin.

To repay Hughton who in effect undermined McNally (who also finds time to keep very fit) by getting the contract he wanted and coming into the new season in the shape he is is disgraceful. He might work hard but he cannot get away from the need to be disciplined with his diet too.

The same goes for Chris Martin and as for Morison.......late in the game he stood still, waiting to be fed the ball by the hard working Snodgrass who charged into tackles with three opponents with Morison in their midst. This summed Moro up sadly, he will put it in when he gets the service he wants whereas other players will look to make something happen.

Jackson worked hard after a long trip but our other strikers are unfit and lazy and need to put much more effort in to training and games. Quite honestly I''d drop Holt, put Morison up front on his own and play Hoolahan behind him. This will expose Morison and kick Holt up the @rse.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"]As for  Holt - he always gives 100% and will always score goals - ffs get behind our players.

I despair of this board sometimes. [/quote]Your first sentence is clearly inaccurate.As for your second, the door''s over there.[/quote]

Your first sentence is wrong - look at the history books.As for your second..........after you.......

[/quote]

[/quote]

Is that a promise?................because he did.

He was just asked to play a deeper role today,  couldn''t you see that?

[/quote]I would despair if our leading goalscorer for the past three seasons has been asked to concentrate on something other than scoring goals.

"I would despair if our leading goalscorer for the past three seasons has been asked to concentrate on something other than scoring goals."

Judging by his performance against Spurs, that''s what is happening.

I can''t comment on yesterday''s game as I only saw the MOTD highlights (which certainly seemed to belie Mr. Shearer''s comments incidentally).

I''m with Cambridge on this one. One stand-out moment for me from the Spurs game was when cleverly he set up Johnson for a piledriver near the end of the match.

I''m rather gratified to see the usual underestimation of Holt''s abilities on here. It tends to reflect the view of the opposition, which is good news for us.

In general, after the Fulham game - which terrified me - I think we''ve played extremely well & luck (yes it, or more properly an infinitely complex chain of cause & effect, does exist) has gone against us. The season should hopefully be long enough to even things out.

And I expect Grant to get at least 10 goals this season.

OTBC!