Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Wasters!!!

A rant about Rivers Mulryne. They are the sort of players I hate the most, they probably have the natural ability and talent to be decent prem players but they are just not prepared to work for it when it gets hard for them, much like Collymore.

They forget how privilaged and lucky they are, there are tens of thousands of little kids, young men, middle aged men, OAP''s who would kill for the chance (or to have had the chance) to pull on the Yellow and Green and all of whom I have no doubt would have worked considerably harder on the pitch than they have. I hate to see wasted talent!

Personally I think Mulryne never anticipated still being here in 2004. I think he thought he would drop a division for 2 seasons, become a star in Div 1 and Premier League clubs would come knocking, but they haven''t, even when it was possible for clubs to talk to him when his contract was due to expire they didn''t. I think he has now given up on the dream of a big money move to the prem and thats why we haven''t seen him play quite as well this year.

Why is it that certain people cannot see that players like Rivers, Mulryne and Easton are all highly talented footballers and deserve to be playing at the highest level. Worthy has made it clear that all three players figure in his future plans so why can''t people see how good they really are. Players like Huckerby, Green, Drury and McVeigh may want to move to a bigger club in the future but I can guarantee Rivers, Mulryne and Easton will still want to stay with the Canaries.

ok i dont wanna insult you or anything but if you think easton is a good player you''ve must''ve mistaken him for someone else on the pitch. i can understand that you think rivers is good, but he is not worthy of a starting place and has even admitted himself that he can''t keep up his fitness levels if he doesn''t start, which to me would justify norwich selling him. mulryne i think is a useful player to have but i don''t know if he''d be able to play in the premiership.

I DONT LIKE SLAGIING MY OWN TEAMS PLAYERS OFF BUT RIVERS --- HE HAS NO HEART AT THE MOMENT WATCHED HIM AGAINST READING RESV HE GOT TOOK OFF AND HE WAS NOT IN THE GAME AT ALL ,MULRYNE---TALLENTED BUT HE DOESNT SHOW IT ENOUGH AND WHY DOES HE SLIDE ON THE FLOOR EVERYTIME HE GOES IN FOR A TACKLE ,EASTON----WHEN HE TRYS HE CAN BE A GOOD PLAYER BUT I THINK HE NEEDS TO DROP DOWN A LEAGUE OR TWO .WE MUST STOP THIS SLAGGING PLAYERS OFF THING WE ARE TOP AND WE ARE GOING UP THE WHOLE SQUAD HAS PLAYED ITS PART.

I have said many times before that i think Mulryne is a talented player who is frightened to commit himself to a tackle. He challenges like a woman putting her foot into ice cold water. He does''nt dictate his game to the opposition and is only able to play if he is given space to play, space, that has to be earned by other players efforts. A mid field player frequently short of the determination to put himself about and give his all for the yellow and green. A player who is an expensive luxury, other players like Malky and Fleming, who are in their latter playing days and give everything that they have for the cause and would give everything to have some of his hidden talents to use in their game. He would be no more use in the premiership because the better grade of player would deny him getting a look in. His approach to the game shows the commitment of an unarmed soldier going into the front line, the same goes for the other two so often mentioned here on these boards, its time for them all to get stuck in and earn their corn along with the other boys who who wear the colours with pride.

Now I would agree Easton and to lesser extent Rivers fit into this category but not mulryne. Easton I think is just plain not good enough for this level and especially our current team and will leave the club soon. Rivers is a different case this lad is talented there is no doubting that but is plagued by inconsitency/ lack of application, I think he still has a role to play as a bit of a maverick substitute who can do something in a tight game. It is interesting Worthy bought Rivers as he is very un worthington type of player.
Mulryne is the interesting issue here I think he currently due to the fact that Holty performs a role that no-one else at the club is as good at as harrying midfielder. Mulryne currently losing out to francis as I think Francis has a better engine but when we are playing at home I think mulrnye is viable alternatively if we get enough of the ball Mulryne is useful player. I think the problem lie in his role within the team, worth should tell that he is there to playmake in the oppositions half not to collect the ball off greeno or the centrebacks which is pointless exercise. In summing Mulryne is a squad rotation player as champ man would describe it! Rivers a back up player for the first team and Easton is not needed by the club.

Not a bad summing up of things Longy - but we have to remember that we were so light on the left side at the start of this season, that Easton was potentially a regular first-teamer.
Thanks again to Worthy and the Board for strengthening the squad, to the point where poor Clint can probably write-off his chances of a squad number for next season''s adventure.

Interesting point Longy you make about Mulrynes'' role and the pointless exercise between him and Greeno. I may be my being predudiced when I say that it is precisely the fact that it is the easy, Mulryne option to work in this manner, where he does''nt have to win the ball. Keeping it long enough is also a problem with him. As you so rightly say he should be given a role in a midfield position just short of the halfway line or further so that his hidden talents can give us some advantage from his vision. Has any one seen him in play for the Irish team; what is his contribution to them, which incidently has never been a short ball side? For Norwich city he''ll never be in the same league as our previous play maker from the Bayern Munich era. Why does his name escape me? must be my age playing tricks.

I agree longy that it is pointless Mullers picking up the ball from the back four and Green. He should be getting forward a lot more and hurting teams in the final third of the pitch by either scoring or creating goals.

I think at the end of day I just get frustrated by watching Rivers and Mulryne because more often than not I feel disapointed. I''m often left feeling that they could have had so much more of an impact on the game, but for some reason they just didn''t.

Thanks, longy, with all that tallent how could I not remember his name!!!! What a dead ball placer as well!***

I agree with both Saint Canary and beelsie. I too get so frustrated when I see unfulfilled potential like in Mulrne and to some extent Rivers. I have to say I''ve soft spot for Clint, we know he''s not an Ashley Cole or a Darren Eadie and he knows it too but he does do his best- I thought that at Cardiff he was one of our best players and it was only his corner taking that let hime down. Rivers doesn''t seem to have been fit since we bought him- how can a professional footballer not be able to play 90 minutes once or twice a week? Its gone on for years so there must be either an attitude or a fundamental physical problem.

Mulryne drives me to distraction. Some sublime moments but as beelsie puts it he tackles like a woman (mind you some "ladies" I have come across would certainly put Mullers to shame).

My point is this though- don''t you think its a measure of how far we have come since the dark days of Des Hamilton, Ray DeWaard and Paul Dalglish? When we are able to say that Mulryne isn''t good enough the standard at this club has definitely been raised much higher.