Sign in to follow this  
Oz Canary

How much money does QPR have!!!!!

[quote user="Ashdown_Ranger"]we apparently recouped the transfer money spend on Park in 17 hours.[/quote]Reasonably sure this didn''t happen. Park cost 2.5m yeah? Presuming QPR shirts retail at around 40 quid you''d have to have sold 62,500 shirts, or roughly one shirt a minute, for 17 hours. And thats without going into how much more he''s costing you in wages.

Personally, I''m pretty sure that this is all going to go "a bit QPR" at some point, but having made my peace with that I have decided that there''s f*ck all I can do about it, so just enjoy the ride.

Infidel Castro...

clearly it wasn''t just shirt sales. Park is bigger than Beckham in the Far East. Fernandes signed up massive sponsorship deals on the back of us signing him - and a few more during our Far Eastern pre-season tour.

Fernandes has got his head screwed on, is going about his business in the right way - and after 3 years of Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone, it''s a real breath of fresh air.

[quote user="Ashdown_Ranger"]Infidel Castro...

clearly it wasn''t just shirt sales. Park is bigger than Beckham in the Far East. Fernandes signed up massive sponsorship deals on the back of us signing him - and a few more during our Far Eastern pre-season tour.

Fernandes has got his head screwed on, is going about his business in the right way - and after 3 years of Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone, it''s a real breath of fresh air.[/quote]Don''t lump all the Far East together. Park is big in Korea and only Korea - yes that''s a big market but don''t kid yourself that QPR are making much (if any) cash out of it. Clubs talk about all these things, but at the end of the day it actually translates into very little cash coming into the club.Go to Seoul and you won''t see one QPR shirt.

Money from shirt sales and sponsorship deals will also have to be split a hundred ways once all the European clubs want a slice of the cake, from Forest and Reading to Bayern and Barcelona. If each club has its own Park, that will dilute that player''s marketing value.

Asia sounds very overhyped as far as football is concerned. Plenty of potential at the moment, sure, but too many British and Continental clubs will be wanting a slice of the action for it to work. And if football really catches on in India or China, those countries will simply produce their own mega-clubs.

The QPR and the Man City ventures are effectively loss leaders on a gigantic experiment to see whether this flog-it-all-to-the-emerging-markets approach will work. It reeks of an incipient bubble because I hear very few naysayers at the clubs concerned.

Bethnal Yellow and Green...

Well, there''s none so blind as those who won''t see.

The club has announced huge shirt sales and major sponsorship deals on the back of their Far East tour, but I guess you know better, preferring to nit-pick terminology.

Thanks Canary fans for some good chat, sorry that some only want to ''have a go''. Still, every club has them.

Thing is, Mittal made his money in steel and car-making, and Fernandes in airlines, isn''t that right?

Neither has a background in football, which is a notoriously bad business for clubs to make money at.

So when we hear things like "but Fernandes has his head screwed on", some of us wonder whether the Rangers and Man City fans realise that they''re part of a gigantic business experiment.

[quote user="Ashdown_Ranger"]Bethnal Yellow and Green...

The club has announced huge shirt sales and major sponsorship deals on the back of their Far East tour, but I guess you know better, preferring to nit-pick terminology.

Thanks Canary fans for some good chat, sorry that some only want to ''have a go''. Still, every club has them.[/quote]As someone who works for one of the largest Japanese newspapers I knew a little bit about ''the Far East''. The club can announce what they like, and I''m sure you did get some sponsorship in Asia (you club is sponsored by AirAsia after all and owned by a very public figure in Malaysia) but I can also reassure you that the monetary impact of signing Park Ji-Sung will be minimal for QPR. Clubs have been known to give away 100s of free shirts to ''fans'' to make them look like a big deal, these fans take the shirt and then go and buy the new Barcelona or Real Madrid shirt. Small clubs like QPR, Norwich or Southampton (who are so desperately trying to ''crack'' Japan) can''t compete with the footballing super powers, no matter how many Japanese, Korean, Indonesian, Malay, Chinese or Filipino players they try to sign. Only the already well known clubs have the ability to cash in on their

players, and again these things don''t cross country borders.For example Man U have just signed Kagawa and off the back of that are launching Man U TV in Japan, however signing Kagawa will make no impact on popularity in Indonesia - they don''t care about Japanese players. In fact signing Kagawa will probably have a negative effect on commercial potential in China and Korea due to the tensions with Japan.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Lurking_QPR_ fan"]

This figure of 180% thrown around by the press is actually based on our Championship promotion season 10/11 - where our wage bill was approx £30m artificially boosted by promotion bonuses and manager termination payments.  But don''t let the facts get in the way eh?

Again i''ll stick with Fernandez''s version and wait and see the accounts myself.

Why are our attempts to sign better players ''desperate''?  Any fan would have told you in June that we needed better quality at goalie, centre back and centre midfield - Hughes has brought that in within the transfer window. 

Last time i checked Norwich have also brought in more than half a dozen new players - how is that team building again?

And terrible strike force?  Pull the other one, Cisse, Johnson and Zamora are all proven prem goal scorers and they''d all walk into your team. 

Man City are paying people £200k a week, Liverpool are paying Henderson and Downing £80k a week, Fulham have apparently given Berbatov a £5m a year contract but of course QPR are the ones paying extortionate wages...

[/quote]

Cisse, Zamora and Johnson are all getting on and injury prone. You need them all as only one is probably fit at any one time. Personally, I''d rather have Holt than any of those, mainly because he scores more goals, but also because he never seems to get injured, touch wood.

[/quote]

Found it.... Bump!!!  Just confirmed the inevitable....... Johnson out for the season.

[quote user="Ashdown_Ranger"]Bethnal Yellow and Green...

Thanks Canary fans for some good chat, sorry that some only want to ''have a go''. Still, every club has them.[/quote]Do you remember not so long ago that the same club announced they''d spent millions of ££££''s on Faurlin in a cynical attempt to fool their own fans into believing they had invested large amounts of cash in the club when they hadn''t? Imagine the hullaballoo when it later emerged at the hearing that QPR were in the clear over the money issues because the large sums quoted in the press were just a figment of the QPR boards and press offices combined imaginations.You of course were too pleased at not being docked points to notice that the whole sorry episode originated from the club claiming they''d bought Faurlin for a vast and wholly unaccountable sum of money.When it comes to QPR making public statements Caveat Fultor!![:D]

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Lurking_QPR_ fan"]

This figure of 180% thrown around by the press is actually based on our Championship promotion season 10/11 - where our wage bill was approx £30m artificially boosted by promotion bonuses and manager termination payments.  But don''t let the facts get in the way eh?

Again i''ll stick with Fernandez''s version and wait and see the accounts myself.

Why are our attempts to sign better players ''desperate''?  Any fan would have told you in June that we needed better quality at goalie, centre back and centre midfield - Hughes has brought that in within the transfer window. 

Last time i checked Norwich have also brought in more than half a dozen new players - how is that team building again?

And terrible strike force?  Pull the other one, Cisse, Johnson and Zamora are all proven prem goal scorers and they''d all walk into your team. 

Man City are paying people £200k a week, Liverpool are paying Henderson and Downing £80k a week, Fulham have apparently given Berbatov a £5m a year contract but of course QPR are the ones paying extortionate wages...

[/quote]

Cisse, Zamora and Johnson are all getting on and injury prone. You need them all as only one is probably fit at any one time. Personally, I''d rather have Holt than any of those, mainly because he scores more goals, but also because he never seems to get injured, touch wood.

[/quote]

Found it.... Bump!!!  Just confirmed the inevitable....... Johnson out for the season.

[/quote]

Reported again just now as ''cruciate knee ligament damage'' ... out for ''majority'' of the season.

[quote user="Zak Burger"][quote user="Ashdown_Ranger"]Bethnal Yellow and Green... Well, there''s none so blind as those who won''t see. The club has announced huge shirt sales and major sponsorship deals on the back of their Far East tour, but I guess you know better, preferring to nit-pick terminology. Thanks Canary fans for some good chat, sorry that some only want to ''have a go''. Still, every club has them.[/quote]

Do you remember not so long ago that the same club announced they''d spent millions of ££££''s on Faurlin in a cynical attempt to fool their own fans into believing they had invested large amounts of cash in the club when they hadn''t? Imagine the hullaballoo when it later emerged at the hearing that QPR were in the clear over the money issues because the large sums quoted in the press were just a figment of the QPR boards and press offices combined imaginations.
You of course were too pleased at not being docked points to notice that the whole sorry episode originated from the club claiming they''d bought Faurlin for a vast and wholly unaccountable sum of money.

When it comes to QPR making public statements Caveat Fultor!![:D]

[/quote]

If you are suggesting that QPR  were in the clear, ie innocent, over the Faurlin affair because they hadn''t paid as much money for him as they had claimed then that is not right. QPR were found guilty of fielding Faurlin when he was ineligible through being third-party owned. But the punishment was a fine rather than a points penalty.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Lurking_QPR_ fan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Reported again just now as ''cruciate knee ligament damage'' ... out for ''majority'' of the season.[/quote]

Congratulations! I am thrilled that you are so happy because you predicted somebody''s misfortune! [:S]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Lurking_QPR_ fan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Reported again just now as ''cruciate knee ligament damage'' ... out for ''majority'' of the season.[/quote]

Congratulations! I am thrilled that you are so happy because you predicted somebody''s misfortune! [:S]

[/quote]

I expected such a comment but not from a fellow Norwich fan. You will notice that I did not use a ''smile'' as I do not revel in his injury, just the damage to QPR and thus their chances of staying up.  Having said that, Johnson has a horrendous injury record, just as Dyer has and I am just so pleased that we no longer invest in injury-prone journeymen.

I think we can see the botom four: in no particular order - Southampton, Reading, QPR, Wigan.

How much money does QPR have!!!!!

Two beans, a bean, a half a bean and some has-beens.

Is Eccleston still involved there? His daughter is no has-been.

Nice sentiment cheering serious injuries!  We''ve been unlucky with Johnson, who hasn''t had a serious injury for a few seasons but that''s that way it goes sometimes.

What a load of rubbish about Norwich not signing injury-prone journeymen - you may want to check Michael Turner''s shocking track record at Sunderland before making those statements!   And what about James Vaughan signed just last season!

Plus Butterfield missed the majority of last season with a serious injury last time i checked - maybe i''ll come and cheer on here if he suffers a breakdown?

[quote user="Lurking_QPR_ fan"]

Nice sentiment cheering serious injuries!  We''ve been unlucky with Johnson, who hasn''t had a serious injury for a few seasons but that''s that way it goes sometimes.

What a load of rubbish about Norwich not signing injury-prone journeymen - you may want to check Michael Turner''s shocking track record at Sunderland before making those statements!   And what about James Vaughan signed just last season!

Plus Butterfield missed the majority of last season with a serious injury last time i checked - maybe i''ll come and cheer on here if he suffers a breakdown?

[/quote]

You were not unlucky with Johnson. Foresight will have told you that he is an injury waiting to happen, as I predicted.

Butterfield and Vaughan are not journeymen and are actually up and coming youngsters, and due to their injuries we picked them up cheaply (as we also did with Pilkington incidentally), and they do not have long recurring injury records (remains to be seen with Vaughan, but we knew that), due to their youth. That is our policy and far less risky than yours.  QPR are paying treble or quadruple in salaries to what we are for ageing, injury-prone journeymen, one of whom is now predictably out for the season.

The players you mention are 23/24 year olds not 18 - whether they are ''up and coming'' or simply future journeymen remains to be seen.

I notice you ignore Michael Turner since he undermines your argument?  I notice Garrido has barely averaged 15 games a season for the past 5 years too.

AJ passed a medical when we signed, this injury is not a reoccurance of a past injury either.  We took a gamble when a good player became available on a free and we lost.

Luckily what you and the media call crazy spending was actually building a deep squad, so we have good players to come in for injuries.

The players you mention are 23/24 year olds not 18 - whether they are ''up and coming'' or simply future journeymen remains to be seen.

I notice you ignore Michael Turner since he undermines your argument?  I notice Garrido has barely averaged 15 games a season for the past 5 years too.

AJ passed a medical when we signed, this injury is not a reoccurance of a past injury either.  We took a gamble when a good player became available on a free and we lost.

Luckily what you and the media call crazy spending was actually building a deep squad, so we have good players to come in for injuries.

[/quote]

Well, I don''t think Turner was a good buy at all but in any case he''s probably on less than a third of what most of your guys are on, and he was a panic buy IMO.  Garrido... well time will tell but looking very very good so far and he is not a permie...only loan, and cheap I''m sure. 

.. and keen, ambitious, coveted 23/24 year old players recently brought up to the Prem, are more likely to be up and coming than injury-prone declining oldies such as Johnson, Zamora, Dyer, Cisse etc.  

[/quote]So go on then tell us which good player you have lined up to come in for AJ''s role.Is it Bothroyd ? LOLWhat it means is you''ll have to get by with an out of position squad filler until jan when you''ll once again be held over the barrel with your trousers at your ankles as you sign yet another 30+ yr old player on big wages and a long term contract.Still on the plus side Cisse hasn''t been sent off once in four matches so far!! [:D]

Coveted by who?  I think you''ll find there is often a reason that players are still in the Championship at 23/24 and you''ve already stated that you pay very low wages, so if they really were ''coveted'' you could have easily been gazumped.

For every Jagielka or Tim Cahill who stepped up from the Championship to become a top player, there is a Dean Whitehead or Matt Kilgallon who turned out to be mediocre at best.

Cisse and Zamora don''t look to be ''declining'' very much to me and i think both are younger than Holt!

You keep mentioning Dyer but he is a backup squad player at best.

And Taarabt, Hoillet, Granero, Faurlin, Mackie, Onouha, Traore, Diakite etc are all 25 or under, so we have plenty of value in the squad.

Coveted by who?  I think you''ll find there is often a reason that players are still in the Championship at 23/24 and you''ve already stated that you pay very low wages, so if they really were ''coveted'' you could have easily been gazumped.

For every Jagielka or Tim Cahill who stepped up from the Championship to become a top player, there is a Dean Whitehead or Matt Kilgallon who turned out to be mediocre at best.

Cisse and Zamora don''t look to be ''declining'' very much to me and i think both are younger than Holt!

You keep mentioning Dyer but he is a backup squad player at best.

And Taarabt, Hoillet, Granero, Faurlin, Mackie, Onouha, Traore, Diakite etc are all 25 or under, so we have plenty of value in the squad.

[/quote]

I thnk you''ll find that Howson, Johnson and Snodgrass were coveted by Leeds as I know from a long running thread on Waccoe where they follow every game and shed ''tears'' if we get a point....[:D]    Snodgrass has been chased by a few Prem clubs, one being Villa apparently. The sign of a good player to me is where their clubs try everything to try to keep them but the player won''t stay because he''s ambitious. Add Butterfeld, Pilkington and the Bennetts to that list.  

[/quote]

I agree with that point, very much. However, you failed to answer my enquiry regarding Tamara, Mr. Lurking. I''m an old boy now and when my hormones start playing up I have to make the most of it.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"][quote user="Lurking_QPR_ fan"]

[/quote]

I agree with that point, very much. However, you failed to answer my enquiry regarding Tamara, Mr. Lurking. I''m an old boy now and when my hormones start playing up I have to make the most of it.

[/quote]

Ecclestone is long gone (but sadly not forgotten) - Tamara is very attractive but i personally couldn''t ever bring myself to go near anything that sprung from those wizened, wrinkly loins!

At least when Chelsea, Man City et al spend stupid money they are bringing the best players in the world into England and create some of the best teams in the world in the process who compete for trophies and honours every year.  Getting to see Norwich play against these teams and players and often upset the odds is a privelage.

QPR however are still an average side with average players and all the money they have spent will do nothing for them and adds nothing to English football for anybody else.

It seems even more stupid given that the manager with all this cash to spend has previously had the opportunity to sign the best players in the world at Man City but got replaced as he did not know what to do with them!

Well, all the money in the world will not save QPR from relegation now IMO. Money does not buy team spirit and who would want QPR''s expensive ageing stars who can''t buy a win.