Sign in to follow this  
Oz Canary

How much money does QPR have!!!!!

QPR are a perfect example of all that is wrong with football! A few years ago they were a struggling lower league club with pathetic attendances and poor players. Unfortunately, it is a fashionable status symbol these days for the mega rich to own an English football  club. When being asked by "worldy" babes "where in England" the club is, whilst partying on their yacht, the preferred answer to give is "London" and when asked what part the preferred answer is "West"! This is leading to a revolution where shortly there will be no clubs based outside of well known cities such as "Manchester", "Liverpool" or London left in the Prem! The support at these clubs pre takeover and often after is pathetic and grows in line with the large money signings. The spotting of the teams shirts grow like a fashion statement, with fans appearing in all areas of the country from nowhere.For large money signings you can purchase not only good players but professional cheats, divers and con artists! These players have years of practice in the art of cheating. The Prem, TV Pundits and Sadly most of all the Ref''s have become infected and it is embed in their nature to reward this disease which is destroying football for the average fan. The rolling around and faces on the players during these moments is getting "embarrassing" to say the least! Referee''s turn up with pre conceited ideas on who the "bigger club" is judged on finances and wages and rewards them like a smiling assassin, unaware what they have done wrong!Who knows maybe QPR can progress further and become the new "Chelsea" with the purchase of more ridiculously overpaid ego''s. They could always install a Plastic pitch to hinder the opposition!! In fact, I believe Loftus Road is more famous for boxing than its Footballing moments.

[quote user="Lurking_QPR_ fan"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="Lurking_QPR_ fan"]

Firstly QPR – yes we are spending big money (although not even in top half of the league for spending this summer) and big wages (although again not as much as reported).

[/quote]And you know how much you''re spending on wages do you?QPR are not an attractive club, come on be honest.  You have poor training facilities, a terrible ground and much larger neighbours.  We suffer similarly because of our ''cut off'' location (although if you stuck NCFC in the centre of London we would immediately become far more attractive).  You have to be extremely blinkered if you think these players are interested for any other reason apart from inflated wages.[/quote]

Tony Fernandez knows how much we are paying on wages and he says the wage bill is slightly down on last year - i think i''ll believe him over you and the press.

Why aren''t we an attractive club again?  We are located in London (an big draw for players), we are in the premier league, we are receiving a lot of press coverage, we are signing high profile players (Park, Cesar, Cisse etc) have ambitious but tangible plans (new training ground and stadium) and we have a high profile manager (ex Man Utd, Bayern, Barca player) however much you dislike him.

Also we are paying competitive wages which of course is a factor.  But sorry, i forgot that Snodgrass, Turner, Whittaker and Garrido are lifelong Norwich fans playing for love are they?

Loftus Road is small but atmospheric stadium and i doubt the players really care about the lack of leg room and long toilet queues, plsu we''ve already upgraded our training ground to suit us until the new one is developed.

[/quote]Fernandes is hardly going to come out and say we''re spending 180% of our turnover on wages is he.It''s a bit of a chicken or the egg situation really, I''d argue you''re only signing ''high profile'' players because of the wages you''re paying, not your attractiveness.  Same as Hughes, he''d never have even considered QPR unless you were paying him a fair whack.  You''re receiving a lot of press coverage simply because you''re signing anyone and everyone in a desperate attempt to create some kind of recipe that works.  No attempt to build an actual team, with a terrible strike force.  Cisse looked absolutely shocking last weekend, and Zamora wasn''t much better.I don''t think I said anything about our players ''playing for love'', but when you''re coming to a club which can only offer the going rate there''s definitely more to it than just the money.  Or are you really suggesting that Norwich can outbid teams on wages?  Because that really would be silly.QPR are not paying ''competitive'' wages, you''re paying extortionate wages.

[quote user="Mike"]I can understand people view on our wages budget ect but when they say we have no team spirit it is ridiculous every team has team spirit they all want to win. It doesn''t matter of you pay a player 100k or 30k they will still have team spirit or where you buy them from or how many players you buy. Does reading have team spirit or Southampton? How about fulham and Sunderland when try got promoted they spent 30+ mil each on players yet they have team spirit. If you was to say the team will lack chemistry that is understandable it will take all these new player time to gel as a team.[/quote]

Team spirit takes time to build and is not the same thing as an individual desire to win, as it is a collective desire to work and win as a team, all pulling together like brothers in arms. You can''t just buy it. That is a big disadvantage to teams that chop and change and is a big reason why Norwich have done so well over the past three years or so. They kept their nucleus on each promotion, and that is the key. 

[quote user="Lurking_QPR_ fan"]

Tony Fernandez knows how much we are paying on wages and he says the wage bill is slightly down on last year - i think i''ll believe him over you and the press.

[/quote]

Lol that is one of the funniest things I''ve heard all year!!!

12 players in this summer for QPR, including Cesar, Bosingwa, Park, Hoilett and Green.  Green allegedly on £50,000 a week, how much is Cesar and the others on??  Please enlighten me on who you have sold to enable the wage bill to be "slightly down" on last year?

It worries me if you are really that gullible

Just a few facts which may help people''s understanding of what''s going on at QPR.

Most of our new players are freebies - OK we may still buy a couple and wages are pretty high. But Tony Fernandes has said that having released so many players this summer, wages are currently LOWER than last season and that the net spend has been only £1.5m. We might get a couple more in, but then Barton looks like he''s on his way. He''s apparently on £80k a week - absolutely crazy money.

Fourfourtwo.com are saying we''ve made the most astute signings of this transfer window. Business done in Korea within 24 hours of signing Jung Si Park apparently recouped his transfer fee - and of course massively raised the profile of QPR''s main sponsor Air Asia (also owned by Tony Fernandes).

Accusations of pretentiousness will have been justified under the ownership of Briatore and Ecclestone (thoroughly disliked by QPR fans), but the current owners are altogether different.

Running any football club is a mug''s game, if you''re in it to make money. Tony Fernandes has said the club has no debt - the strong suggestion by the board is that he doesn''t expect to be reimbursed unless the club (somehow) turns a profit. And we have the 4th richest man in the world as a ''junior'' partner too (not that he''s putting much in as things are).

QPR is a small club - capacity is only around 18,000. But Fernandes is building for the future - already investing heavily in youth development, scouting (our scouting staff is now around 30 strong - it was 5 a couple of months ago), new training ground and a new 45k seater stadium is being planned. QPR used to attract big crowds pre all-seater stadiums and, with the right players, and a bit of success, I see no reason to think we''ll rattle about in it too badly.

It''s a challenge for smaller clubs to simply survive in the Prem. Next year TV money under the new Sky deal will be around one third as much again. I guess Fernandes is investing further to protect the future income stream. I think 5 years down the line the Premier League will see an altogether different QPR.

So, I feel we''re doing the right things in the right way (mostly) and expect to be in the Premier League for many years to come.

I think the Prem needs more of the smaller teams to be able to challenge the likes of the ''Big Four'' - it can only be good for the game. Who wants a situation like Scotland with only 2 serious contenders every year (well, only one now), or Spain - again, a 2-horse race?

This figure of 180% thrown around by the press is actually based on our Championship promotion season 10/11 - where our wage bill was approx £30m artificially boosted by promotion bonuses and manager termination payments.  But don''t let the facts get in the way eh?

Again i''ll stick with Fernandez''s version and wait and see the accounts myself.

Why are our attempts to sign better players ''desperate''?  Any fan would have told you in June that we needed better quality at goalie, centre back and centre midfield - Hughes has brought that in within the transfer window. 

Last time i checked Norwich have also brought in more than half a dozen new players - how is that team building again?

And terrible strike force?  Pull the other one, Cisse, Johnson and Zamora are all proven prem goal scorers and they''d all walk into your team. 

Man City are paying people £200k a week, Liverpool are paying Henderson and Downing £80k a week, Fulham have apparently given Berbatov a £5m a year contract but of course QPR are the ones paying extortionate wages...

[quote user="Ashdown_Ranger"]Just a few facts which may help people''s understanding of what''s going on at QPR. Most of our new players are freebies - OK we may still buy a couple and wages are pretty high. But Tony Fernandes has said that having released so many players this summer, wages are currently LOWER than last season and that the net spend has been only £1.5m. We might get a couple more in, but then Barton looks like he''s on his way. He''s apparently on £80k a week - absolutely crazy money.

Fourfourtwo.com are saying we''ve made the most astute signings of this transfer window. Business done in Korea within 24 hours of signing Jung Si Park apparently recouped his transfer fee - and of course massively raised the profile of QPR''s main sponsor Air Asia (also owned by Tony Fernandes). Accusations of pretentiousness will have been justified under the ownership of Briatore and Ecclestone (thoroughly disliked by QPR fans), but the current owners are altogether different. Running any football club is a mug''s game, if you''re in it to make money. Tony Fernandes has said the club has no debt - the strong suggestion by the board is that he doesn''t expect to be reimbursed unless the club (somehow) turns a profit. And we have the 4th richest man in the world as a ''junior'' partner too (not that he''s putting much in as things are). QPR is a small club - capacity is only around 18,000. But Fernandes is building for the future - already investing heavily in youth development, scouting (our scouting staff is now around 30 strong - it was 5 a couple of months ago), new training ground and a new 45k seater stadium is being planned. QPR used to attract big crowds pre all-seater stadiums and, with the right players, and a bit of success, I see no reason to think we''ll rattle about in it too badly. It''s a challenge for smaller clubs to simply survive in the Prem. Next year TV money under the new Sky deal will be around one third as much again. I guess Fernandes is investing further to protect the future income stream. I think 5 years down the line the Premier League will see an altogether different QPR. So, I feel we''re doing the right things in the right way (mostly) and expect to be in the Premier League for many years to come. I think the Prem needs more of the smaller teams to be able to challenge the likes of the ''Big Four'' - it can only be good for the game. Who wants a situation like Scotland with only 2 serious contenders every year (well, only one now), or Spain - again, a 2-horse race?[/quote]

As someone who has always been agnostic on Fernandes as an owner I wouldn''t disagree with much of that. But it is the wages that are the issue, and particularly the wage to turnover ratio. The 183 per cent ratio you had in winning the Championship is clearly not sustainable over any length of time. I assume it was lower than that last season, but it would have to come down a great deal to get to the PL norm of around 70 per cent. From the outside it seems as if this summer''s transfer fee spending and wages represent a gamble on the assumption of staying up.

[quote user="paul moy"]You''ve obviously never heard of Financial Fair Play. [:D][/quote]

Clubs receive around £45m TV money from Sky.

Gate receipts from a small crowd apart, the club made money on its summer tour of the Far East, is raking in shirt sales which have more than paid for a couple of players in the last month.

So a net spend of £1.5m and a reduced wage bill over last year''s constitues some kind of reckless financial activity?

Out of interest, how much has Norwich City spent this summer, and is its wage bill lower than last year?

And terrible strike force?  Pull the other one, Cisse, Johnson and Zamora are all proven prem goal scorers and they''d all walk into your team. 

Man City are paying people £200k a week, Liverpool are paying Henderson and Downing £80k a week, Fulham have apparently given Berbatov a £5m a year contract but of course QPR are the ones paying extortionate wages...

[/quote]Cisse, Johnson and Zamora were proven goal scorers.  I very much doubt they''ll trouble the scoresheets much this season.

Julio Cesar was in what''s know as the ''Holy Trinity'' at Inter Milan. The 3 players who are on massive wages, it was himself, Maicon and Snijder.

I can''t see him taking too much of a wage cut to come to QPR, so if fans of the Royals want to believe Uncle Tony when he says that QPR aren''t paying large wages that''s up to them. From my position, I have a feeling that infamous 185% turnover figure isn''t going to be falling too far. When Kia Joorabchain is the ''transfer advisor'' and he is ''advising'' QPR to buy his own clients you know there is trouble.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="snakepit ric"][quote user="Wiz"]It could have been us imo, but we I believe only wanted ''Tony'' to invest and not own.[/quote] And thank god it was not. I would then have to stop having a season ticket , and protest and be a armchair fan like you !![/quote]

94 posts and been here 2 years ric, and you think you know me, sorry, but you couldn''t be more wrong about me if you tried.

[/quote]

94 post but a daily reader. Don''t post much as get fed up reading. The constant argueing , moaning , anti delia , grant holt is fat posts.

So tend to just read rather than join in with the argueing !!

And have been reading this site for many years not just the 2 I''ve been signed up !!

Now make this post 95

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

As someone who has always been agnostic on Fernandes as an owner I wouldn''t disagree with much of that. But it is the wages that are the issue, and particularly the wage to turnover ratio. The 183 per cent ratio you had in winning the Championship is clearly not sustainable over any length of time. I assume it was lower than that last season, but it would have to come down a great deal to get to the PL norm of around 70 per cent. From the outside it seems as if this summer''s transfer fee spending and wages represent a gamble on the assumption of staying up.

[/quote]

Fair comment, but with Fernandes putting money into a bigger ground (rumoured to be around 45,000 seats) I think that will address the turnover issue longer term. I think Fernandes is an astute businessman who is using QPR to help raise the profile of Air Asai in his home market, which can only benefit QPR year-on-year.

Sure, buying/selling players is a gamble - I remember 16 years back we played and lost, selling Les Ferdinand for a club record and buying two donkeys, Mike Sheron and Mark Hately - and promptly getting relegated. We went though administration, relegation before making it back to the promised land of the prem. Fernandes will need to protect his investment and that can only be by buying better players. I think next season the Sky pot will grow to around £60m per club on average - any club getting relegated will really feel it.

This figure of 180% thrown around by the press is actually based on our Championship promotion season 10/11 - where our wage bill was approx £30m artificially boosted by promotion bonuses and manager termination payments.  But don''t let the facts get in the way eh?

Again i''ll stick with Fernandez''s version and wait and see the accounts myself.

Why are our attempts to sign better players ''desperate''?  Any fan would have told you in June that we needed better quality at goalie, centre back and centre midfield - Hughes has brought that in within the transfer window. 

Last time i checked Norwich have also brought in more than half a dozen new players - how is that team building again?

[/quote]

Cisse, Zamora and Johnson are all getting on and injury prone. You need them all as only one is probably fit at any one time. Personally, I''d rather have Holt than any of those, mainly because he scores more goals, but also because he never seems to get injured, touch wood.

Any reasoning behind that opinion?  Cisse scored plenty last season and in pre-season, Zamora has scored in his last 2 games and Johnson also looked sharp on Tuesday.  Plus all 3 are younger than Holt, so you can''t be claiming they are over the hill!

this just proves they are throwing silly wages around to me!! Why else would Granero leave Madrid for QPR?

Any reasoning behind that opinion?  Cisse scored plenty last season and in pre-season, Zamora has scored in his last 2 games and Johnson also looked sharp on Tuesday.  Plus all 3 are younger than Holt, so you can''t be claiming they are over the hill!

[/quote]

Just look at their injury records over the past two to three years. Need I say more !!

[/quote]

As for facts, it was 183 per cent rather than 180 per cent. And to put that in context Norwich City also paid out large promotion bonuses that season. The result for us was a wage to turnover ratio of 80 per cent.

I thought the following from Football365''s Big Weekend section would add to the debate; but then again QPR fans seem to be in denial.

QPR
Blimey. With the caveat that this piece is being written on Thursday evening, QPR appear to be buying the world. By Friday evening, they may very well have purchased players from Chelsea, Tottenham, Manchester United, Marseille, Inter Milan and Real Madrid. Given their wage bill last season was a whopping 183% of turnover, and they have only shed the relatively meagre salaries of Fitz Hall, Paddy Kenny, Dan Shittu et al (although Joey Barton''s salary will take a fair chunk off, assuming Marseille complete that deal), one shudders to think what this season''s figures will look like.

They''re not a big club, QPR. Lofus Road only holds 18,500. They have competition from quite a few other league clubs in London. They are being propped up by Tony Fernandes, so should something bad happen with regards to their ownership, then they could be in some serious trouble. After all, history has taught us that reckless and unsustainable spending in an attempt to make a mark on the Premier League can lead to catastrophe.

This money has been spent with an expectation of success. Indeed, someone must have given Julio Cesar the hard sell - after his arrival in London he quickly declared his intention of wining the Premier League with Rangers, saying that "nobody thought Manchester City could win the league" a few years ago. A little fanciful perhaps, and it could have been a new signing getting carried away on his first day in the country, but Fernandes has not taken these risks and paid this money for a repeat of last season.

And this is where Mark Hughes comes in. As Fernandes and the QPR board showed last season, they are not exactly blessed with great patience, shown by Neil Warnock''s dismissal. If Hughes and QPR do not begin the season in a manner befitting a side with such riches lavished upon them, then axes will fall, heads will roll and another manager will have to think of some creative excuses as to why this wasn''t his fault.

Still, at least QPR have a relatively straightforward task this weekend - away to Manchester City.

Why build a 45k stadium when you have only about 20k fans, on a good day?

It will be either half-empty, or ultimately filled with tourist-type football fans (not club supporters). And what happens if the business model doesn''t work out? You''ll be left with an echoey ground with massive overheads.

Every club seems to think selling shirts in Asia is the answer. Trouble is, they can''t all be right. Asia has a lot of people, but I suspect they''re only going to buy one shirt each. So Man Utd, Man C, Liverpool, Arsenal, Cardiff, Blackburn, and QPR, not to mention Barcelona, Bayern, Real M., will ultimately find the market pretty saturated. Especially when Forest, Reading, and all the others join the carnival. Do you not think this is a football bubble?

Djibril Cisse 89 appearances for Olympiakos, Lazio and QPR over the last 3 seasons.

Andy Johnson played 29 times in 10/11 season, only 14 last season but as he wasn''t first choice not through injury.

Zamora did have a broken leg over a year ago but he''s not missed a game for us through injury over the last 6 months so i''ll take my chances thanks.

I''ll be interested to see which trio of strikers has scored more goals between our lot and Holt, Morison and Jackson by the end of the season...

[quote user="Lurking_QPR_ fan"]I''ll be interested to see which trio of strikers has scored more goals between our lot and Holt, Morison and Jackson by the end of the season...[/quote]How about we instead discuss the fact that last season Holt got 15 league goals, and I can''t actually remember the last time any of the trio you mention - Cisse, Zamora and A.Johnson ever managed that level of performance - unless you want to go back 8 years to when Johnson was at Palace???Morison managed 9 despite having a shocking second half to the season, although I will give you Jackson...

Why build a 45k stadium when you have only about 20k fans, on a good day?

It will be either half-empty, or ultimately filled with tourist-type football fans (not club supporters). And what happens if the business model doesn''t work out? You''ll be left with an echoey ground with massive overheads.

Every club seems to think selling shirts in Asia is the answer. Trouble is, they can''t all be right. Asia has a lot of people, but I suspect they''re only going to buy one shirt each. So Man Utd, Man C, Liverpool, Arsenal, Cardiff, Blackburn, and QPR, not to mention Barcelona, Bayern, Real M., will ultimately find the market pretty saturated. Especially when Forest, Reading, and all the others join the carnival. Do you not think this is a football bubble?

------------------------------------------------------

Plus as anyone who has walked round a market when on holiday in Asia will realise that it is easy to pick up fake relica shirts for a fraction of the official ones.

Djibril Cisse 89 appearances for Olympiakos, Lazio and QPR over the last 3 seasons.

Andy Johnson played 29 times in 10/11 season, only 14 last season but as he wasn''t first choice not through injury.

Zamora did have a broken leg over a year ago but he''s not missed a game for us through injury over the last 6 months so i''ll take my chances thanks.

I''ll be interested to see which trio of strikers has scored more goals between our lot and Holt, Morison and Jackson by the end of the season...

[/quote]

Johnson was injured last season. You''re in denial.

[quote user="PKC"]

I thought the following from Football365''s Big Weekend section would add to the debate; but then again QPR fans seem to be in denial.

QPR
Blimey. With the caveat that this piece is being written on Thursday evening, QPR appear to be buying the world. By Friday evening, they may very well have purchased players from Chelsea, Tottenham, Manchester United, Marseille, Inter Milan and Real Madrid. Given their wage bill last season was a whopping 183% of turnover, and they have only shed the relatively meagre salaries of Fitz Hall, Paddy Kenny, Dan Shittu et al (although Joey Barton''s salary will take a fair chunk off, assuming Marseille complete that deal), one shudders to think what this season''s figures will look like.

They''re not a big club, QPR. Lofus Road only holds 18,500. They have competition from quite a few other league clubs in London. They are being propped up by Tony Fernandes, so should something bad happen with regards to their ownership, then they could be in some serious trouble. After all, history has taught us that reckless and unsustainable spending in an attempt to make a mark on the Premier League can lead to catastrophe.

This money has been spent with an expectation of success. Indeed, someone must have given Julio Cesar the hard sell - after his arrival in London he quickly declared his intention of wining the Premier League with Rangers, saying that "nobody thought Manchester City could win the league" a few years ago. A little fanciful perhaps, and it could have been a new signing getting carried away on his first day in the country, but Fernandes has not taken these risks and paid this money for a repeat of last season.

And this is where Mark Hughes comes in. As Fernandes and the QPR board showed last season, they are not exactly blessed with great patience, shown by Neil Warnock''s dismissal. If Hughes and QPR do not begin the season in a manner befitting a side with such riches lavished upon them, then axes will fall, heads will roll and another manager will have to think of some creative excuses as to why this wasn''t his fault.

Still, at least QPR have a relatively straightforward task this weekend - away to Manchester City.

[/quote]

That is pretty fair, although the wages of the 13-14 odd players who have left were certainly not meagre and Cesar has takena  well documented pay cut to join us.

Not dispute that TF is supporting us financially either, but you can say exactly the same about Fulham, Man City, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Chelsea etc etc

It has taken years of financial mismangement and a successtion of dodgy/corrupt owners siphoning money out of Portsmouth and yet they are still only in League One with a team that could even challeng for the play offs - QPR have been there before and if we end up there again so be it, i''ll still be there too!

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]

This thread makes us look a tad envious, maybe some posters are worrying a little to much about what QPR are doing.....

[/quote]

Not at all. I prefer the ''Norwich model'' of sustainable success, rather than the ''Portsmouth way''. I''m sure we''d still finish above QPR if we still had Lambert, but obviously the jury is out on Hoooton after the Fulham debacle.

[quote]I thought the following from Football365''s Big Weekend section would add to the debate; but then again QPR fans seem to be in denial.[/quote]

Not sure the ''article'' (it''s hardly Hugh McIlvanney....) adds anything. If QPR have effectively spent £1.5m net and reduced last year''s wage bill that''s good business as far as I''m concerned.

[quote]Why build a 45k stadium when you have only about 20k fans, on a good day?[/quote]

Actually on a good day it''s 18,500 - Loftus Road''s capacity.

Pre all-seater stadiums we used to get big crowds. Success will bring the fans back.

Selling shirts in Asia? Well we apparently recouped the transfer money spend on Park in 17 hours. It may prove to be a bubble longer term, but I guess Fernandes will milk it for all his worth in the next 3 or 4 years at least. Hopefully that will help build the new stadium, attracting bigger crowds and (possibly) making us self-sufficient.