Sign in to follow this  
Gingerpele

Taking friendlies too seriously?

Some people seem to be doing just that...

There were three people within ear shot of me last night, who kept moaning about the team, getting quite frustrated. And i''ve seen some strange comments on here as well now.

Last nights game was rubbish, was nothing but a passing exercise for Ajax really. But why do some people expect more in a friendly? Why are people making judgements on players/teams on friendlies? (not just about us and last night that question).

Did you happen to be in the lower N&P last night GP? Because I had three pillocks next to me as well. One of them was a neutral I presume because he kept screaming for Ajax to score as well as us. The other one did a sarcastic clap when snodgrass and co came on and the other didn''t shut up.

For example

"We got the ball! WA HAY!"

"Hughton''s shit!"

"I''ve had enough of everyone being so fucking quiet"

"Stupid kids"

"Holt can''t run for shit, why did we keep him lads"

Fans always take them too seriously because they have missed the footy over the summer so get excited with themselves when its a poor performance / result. We have had poor pre seasons and had great seasons visa versa .

New manager, backroom staff, trying out different formations , getting to know each other whilst topping up on game time fitness that what pre season is about. Judge hughton and his boys 10 games into the season.

Fans are all complete t*ssers.    We all think we know better than the manager.  We all think we know better than the person next to us.  We all think its everyone else that moans, not us.    We all think the players should have or could have done better.  We all think  that footballers are overpaid  and to cap it all we all think that our opinion is worth more than anyones elses.  

Other than that we are wonderful.  [:)]

With the OP on this, friendlies are about fitness, trying different players/systems out. I am sure that CH will have learnt a lot from last night, but if he did not I am sure that there are loads of experts that post on this board who will help him out.....

Ended up being a defensive exercise for us and yes, it was fairly boring!

Everyone says friendlies mean nothing, but if we win them all comfortably people bleat on about how fantastic we are, if we were to have lost against Peterborough 2-0 and lost against Ajax 4-0 people would be pinning us down as relegation candidates.

It''s the nature of friendlies unfortunately - if it''s a game of football fans will pass judgement. For example, my judgement would be that as per usual Holt is a little behind most in terms of sharpness - however we know how much he kicks on a little into the season.

Hogesar, agree about Holt''s sharpness. I have a little more concern about it though because we had the same situation last year, and although Holt scored that great goal against Chelsea it was noticeable how we improved once Morison started ahead of him. The results show that, too.

Holt''s imperative to us and it would be great if he can play to the levels we know he''s capable of from the outset and not two months in

Got seriously fed up in the Jarrold last night, Had some guy called "barry" who kept moaning when we passed it back and every touch elliot ward had he moaned too!

GRRR

To make things worse he couldn''t speak properly so every time he spoke a shower of spit landed on the back of my head.

The Jarrold stand was friggin'' horrendous yesterday. You could tell the summer holidays are in full swing :\ The amount of kids that were shouting stupid things:

"Break his legs!"

"Holt you''re fat and shit!"

They didn''t know half the players names, and they kept shouting right behind me in their squeaky voices! Remind me next time when the summer holidays are on not to go to the Jarrold!

As for our performance, I''ve not seen too much more of a solid defense from us. Had that of been midway through last season Ajax would have been scoring goals where our defense had sprung a leak. It wasn''t very entertaining for us, granted - but for the real fans it showed us progression.

[quote user="SitTee"]Got seriously fed up in the Jarrold last night, Had some guy called "barry" who kept moaning when we passed it back and every touch elliot ward had he moaned too! GRRR To make things worse he couldn''t speak properly so every time he spoke a shower of spit landed on the back of my head.[/quote]

Yep, sounds like a typical case of verbal diarrhea.........................[+o(]

I hope you washed your head when you got home........................

The little kids didn''t annoy me. There just kids and it''s good to see that there parents are taking them to the games, they are learning.

It''s the glory hunting teenagers and fully-grown men who whine about everything on the pitch which pisses me off.

I sat in the Barclay.Block C area about half way up. Dead as anything and had people whinging constantly.I actually thought we defended really well and look like a good team.It was fricking Ajax. Were people expecting us to roll them over?

As much as I know friendlies are just that and a build up for the season ahead, after having a weeks training camp away they squad should start gearing up for the 1st game of the season.

The fans also spend their £15, which isn''t always that easy to get hold of at the moment and to see such a poor showing is a big disapointment!

[quote user="I am a Banana"]The fans also spend their £15, which isn''t always that easy to get hold of at the moment......[/quote]Have you considered fruit picking nana?

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

As much as I know friendlies are just that and a build up for the season ahead, after having a weeks training camp away they squad should start gearing up for the 1st game of the season.

The fans also spend their £15, which isn''t always that easy to get hold of at the moment and to see such a poor showing is a big disapointment!

[/quote]
That''s the risk you take as a football fan, poor performances, bad results etc. are part of the risk you take when you purchase a ticket. You paying for a ticket does not mean a team will perform well. And the team performed pretty well anyway, Ajax aren''t a bunch of amateurs, they''re an extremely skilled and composed side who won their division last season. Against such teams sometimes all you can do is keep the defensive shape and play smart, something Norwich couldn''t do last season, but did last night. Offensively Norwich were poor, but many are removing the role Ajax played in this. When we had the ball Ajax pressed high, forcing us into rushed passes and long-balls which surrendered possession to them and we were not pressing ourselves instead trying to contain and hold shape meaning they could dominate possession. Fox/Surman would''ve been ideal in a central role last night as they are composed enough with the ball at their feet not to rush the pass when under pressure allowing us slightly more possession and more attacking chances.

Man City lost to Oldham the other day, I doubt their supporters are overreacting about that result. Ajax was a good game for us, I''m sure the manager learnt a lot and our defence looked pretty solid.