Sign in to follow this  
Canary02 IV

Defensive Midfielder back on the agenda

With Crofts going that leaves Johnson as the only midfielder we have that can play a truly defensive role and I''d be surprised if we didn''t add another player there soon. Fox and Howson can both play in a deep lying role, but as playmakers a la Xavi rather than to break up the oppositions play. Hughton would be exceptionally brave to go into the season without another player of this ilk. Even Spain need Busquets!

Ideally I''d like N''Zonzi, but he may well be too expensive.

DO

WE

NEED

ANOTHER

MIDFIELDER???

We have Butterfield, Johnson and Fox who could all go into the DFM position. Calm down!

[quote user="The Ambassador"]DO

WE

NEED

ANOTHER

MIDFIELDER???

We have Butterfield, Johnson and Fox who could all go into the DFM position. Calm down![/quote]

Obviously, I think we do which is the point of the post in the first place.

Butterfield isn''t defensive, and as I stated Fox plays deep but isn''t defensive.

And I''m perfectly calm which is why I don''t need to make my point with capital letters.

[quote user="chris_sabian"]Anyone who doesn''t  think we need a quality defensive midfielder can''t have been to or watched many matches last year.
[/quote]

couldn''t agree more. It would help us to keep more clean sheets and to get involved in the game more because of the extra possession that a good DM will bring.

Liam Bridcutt would be ideal for that position a great DM who I believe was Brighton''s player of the season Crofts could be a possible makeweight perhaps

[quote user="fried_chicken"]

[quote user="chris_sabian"]Anyone who doesn''t  think we need a quality defensive midfielder can''t have been to or watched many matches last year.
[/quote]

couldn''t agree more. It would help us to keep more clean sheets and to get involved in the game more because of the extra possession that a good DM will bring.

[/quote]

B*ll*cks! (imo[:)])    What would help clean sheets more is for the defenders to cut out the mis-directed back passes or passes out of defence.  We have enough options in midfield to cope with any situation.    We are going to get good goals scored against us - get used to the idea.   All the defenders and midfielders need to do is to keep as tight as possible on opposition attackers to keep this to a miniumm.    Most of our problems last season stem from poor distribution by the back 4.    This has been addressed with Turner and Whittaker coming in to strtengthen the depth in defence.  

As far as I''m concerned we should always be on the lookout for players better than we currently have, in all positions. I don''t care how many keepers, defenders, midfielders and strikers we have, we can always improve and sell or loan out any excess.

If we get a left back and striker and we still have some money left over then lets look at another midfielder.  We have bigger priorities at the moment in terms of new signings.

I think we will keep an eye out for a defensive midfielder. I do think, and have thought, it following our performances last year.I do also agree that a striker is needed and then cover at left back... I do think we will have ££££ to bring those in.But if they are not there now maybe not as quickly as we hope. But I do think we need them for the start of the season. As mentioned I would hope that fringe players look at where they can get first team football.A defensive midfielder is a player that can really allow Pilky, Snoddy, Howson, EB, Butterfield, Hoolahan, Surman to play some silky football when they are included in the midfield. I think against Ajax it showed that if in our midfield David Fox was there that he could not help disrupt the play, yes when he has the ball he can pass the ball sideways, but he does not organise or disrupt an attack by the opposition.So for me another midfielder is a position that we should look at and  continue to improve this team in each position (certainly the spine of this team)

[quote user="I am a Banana"]On some websites i''ve seen Butterfield listed as a defender so maybe he is a defensive midfielder who gets forward! - like Yaya Toure?[/quote]............no, he is a wes type of player but with a bit more bite to his play on the attack.

[quote user="Deptford Canary"]is this where this Dutch fella comes in to the equation?[/quote]

Bly + dodgey rumour + medical = Tuesday

Thursday - Bly = Dutch Fella rumour nonsense.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="Deptford Canary"]is this where this Dutch fella comes in to the equation?[/quote]

Bly + google= dodgy rumours site= dodgey rumour + medical = Tuesday

Thursday - Bly = Dutch Fella rumour nonsense.

[/quote]

Fixed

Perhaps City could find a LB who can also play as a DMF in the way that Whittaker can. That would give two options for DMF without taking up any of the 25 places available. LB is the first priority, IMO.

We hardly struggled last year even if I think a DM would be a good signing. Maybe we''ll loan someone? I always liked the look of Frimpong.

Where''s Korey anyway because he has the energy to play that role and I''d have thought was his ideal position? Would have loved him to have a chance as he didn''t really ever get one.

Bridcutt is a good shout as Crofts has gone there, but he''s highly rated by them and I can''t see it happening for some reason.

Certainly think LB is priority especially with Whittaker injured and Tierney only working his way back recently

I agree with the above post. ^^^

You''re now starting to see Houghton let go of players who he doesn''t think will be upto scratch. Crofts didnt play a major part last season and even though he''s taken part in some pre-season matches it''s been decided he can move on. You may see the same with Lappin and Chris Martin.

Fox nearly ticks all the boxes for the CDM role. His passing both short and long is the best in the squad. But for this role he is crucially (imo) too light in the tackle. If you had someone who covers the defence more we would stop hemorrhaging goals - making everybody''s life easier. Lest we forget we scored A LOT of goals last season. We needed too because our defence let in a tonne of goals. Seal some gaps and life becomes more comfortable. Plus if you can keep Vaughan fit that could be another 10 goals to add to the list, and therefore you don''t need to buy another striker.

Then, quality players like Howson and Pilks should add too the tally. (I''m deliberately not saying Snoddy and Butterfield because the jury is still out on them at Premier League level, and I though Snoddy looked shocking against Ajax on Tuesday).

My ideal player for CDM would be Tom Huddlestone, again, if you can keep him fit, but when he does play he look absolute quality and AVB could be tempted to cash in to gain some funds for some much needed strikers at spurs as they have just the one - Defoe.

Also, in my opinion, we should buy another left back as Tierney who missed half a season, looked as rusty as hell on tuesday and not upto speed, and I was a big, big fan of his up until his ''injury'' last season. Again raiding Spurs for Naughton would be ideal.

How much? 10 million for them both? I reckon for the quality and the potential it could be a snip. Is there the money, definitely. The transfer budget last year was 21 million. Lambert spent around 13 leaving 8. This 8 was going directly into this years transfer pot. How do I know this? One of my oldest friends is Functions Manager at Carrow Rd and gets briefed on all official club goings on on the last thursday of every month. (Of course you may think this a load of old tosh and choose not to believe it, but I can assure you I wouldn''t bother writing it. Plus you can see from the first 3 paragraphs I clearly know my stuff :P) So all in all, baring in mind Houghton has only spent around 6.5 mil, the money should defo be there.

I think Hughton will pick up players, we need them.At the moment we have holes in our squad if we go for some of the season with these holes it may hurt us in the first half of the season.Cover at left back could be important, but I do feel Lappin can cover a little, as can Whittaker. But defensive midfielder, Fox is not the answer. As mentioned he is good in possession, but when he doesn''t have the possession the game can ghost past him. The difference is if we don''t have possession we need to be able to have good positioning, strength, disruptive presence.Upfront we need pace, size and the no fear approach to take your shots. Personally I still think Europe would be ideal, the European players are so eager to get going in this league... cheaper than the figures floated about for Rhodes and now Hooper.Players also have had to go, good man Crofts, he has got a great move to a club still on the up, he will play football and at a very high level. The same with Drury, we have a few others, who also should be looking at their careers and game time opportunity at CR. Korey Smith for this defensive role, afraid not. He was tidy enough in League 1, quite rightly held back and a loan spell last year at Barnsley did him well. But he is not ready for this leap, his physical size is also not quite in the league of adeyemi''s as of yet. Personally I would love to see both these young men on loan. Adeyemi can certainly cut the mustard in a years time putting pressure on Bradley Johnson and a new addition defensive midfielder at the club.As mentioned exciting times. It would seem starting defence is almost ironed out. Ruddy, Martin, RB, Turner, Tierney could all be nailed on starters.Midfield has many options but Howson, Pilky and Snoddy shine out. Upfront Holty and JV at this stage, although Morison is still very much a candidate. Key is to not play the loan striker. Our strength last season was headed goals, getting the ball inot the box for Morison and Holty who will terrorize any defence in the box with balls in the air. We did not beat teams trying to play fancy football through the middle all the time, it is exciting and those next few signings will give us an indication. Those players also to leave will give us an indication. You can always have more players than 25 needed by the prem. it just means you will reconsider in January and maybe include them then. So there is plenty of room for new additions.