Sign in to follow this  
scotty is here LOL

pilks 2nd Top crosser?

What was their definition of a successful cross?  There were stats released at the end of last season showing that the goals we scored from crosses mostly came from Fox.  Don''t recall Pilks or Benno being high on that list.

Isn''t that a list of top teams for completed crosses? http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/features/120804/revealed-premier-leagues-best-crossers-find-out-where-your-team-ranked-177915

Maybe even more impressive that we were 2nd overall in the league. But then Wolves are top so what can you read into it really?

Well for most of the season we''d scored the most headed goals, and I would say its fair to assume most of those headers were set up by crosses. So its not really a surprise were high up in the table. Morison and Holt are both good at winning the ball in the air, and they probably count corners as crosses as well.

And Wolves being top means thats probably just the way they scored goals. I can remember at least one of their goals against us, possibly both were scored from crosses.

Stats do prove what you want them to prove, you could say were great crossers of the ball, or you could say we waste too many chances. 179 (successful) crosses, how many goals did we score from them? Thats the important stat.. If we only scored 15 goals from crosses, then we have a terrible strike rate, Blackburn (think they were bottom) could have also scored 15 goals from crosses from there near 100 less successful crosses...

It does mean we have the quality to put the ball into areas for the forwards to win it, so from that i''d like Hughton to sign a player who is good at getting on the end of crosses, doesn''t need to be a tall target man, but for me Jackson doesn''t get into those positions, to be honest Hoolahan is better at getting on the end of low crosses in the box...

I''m more excited by the prospect of Snodgrass dinking a few up for Holt & Morison to score from; has anyone watched the You Tube clips and noted the amount of missed chances by his ex-teammates at Leeds? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU49OP-BOeM&feature=related

They wasted so many it''s unbelievable. Our front lads will feed off Snodgrass that''s for sure. Anything more from Pilkington & Co will be an even bigger bonus...