Sign in to follow this  
NWC

What if footballers tried that hard...

The inevitable comparison between our olympic athletes and our footballers has started - its a pretty obvious piece, but it does make you think doesn''t it?http://www.football365.com/john-nicholson/7967858/John-Nich

Face it if you want some national football glory, best bet is to marry a German or Spanish girl and take thier nationality !I almost want to lay money down on England not winning a major trophy within my life time as I think its very possible.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Face it if you want some national football glory, best bet is to marry a German or Spanish girl and take thier nationality !
I almost want to lay money down on England not winning a major trophy within my life time as I think its very possible.
[/quote]

A tough bet to collect the winnings from though isn''t it...

Here''s the major difference between the atheletes and the footballers:

Moneeyyyyy.

Mohammed Farah isn''t paid ridiculous amounts to do what he does. He runs that crazy distance for himself, for the pride and elation.

Jessica Ennis, the exact same thing. Training for most of her youth to break through into the Olympics and become a champion.

These footballers that made up Team GB were a bunch of ego''s. I''m not saying they aren''t talented and don''t do it for any kind of pride. Truly though, football is a team sport and they played for themselves... thus they were knocked out in the same fashion England were during the Euros. These footballers are paid megabucks week in week out for their league games, they don''t feel the need to impress internationally.

It''s really quite sad, I sat with my mates with tears in my eyes the other night watching the Athletics. We flicked over to the football and we all just rolled our eyes and went out.

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"]Here''s the major difference between the atheletes and the footballers: Moneeyyyyy. Mohammed Farah isn''t paid ridiculous amounts to do what he does. He runs that crazy distance for himself, for the pride and elation. Jessica Ennis, the exact same thing. Training for most of her youth to break through into the Olympics and become a champion. These footballers that made up Team GB were a bunch of ego''s. I''m not saying they aren''t talented and don''t do it for any kind of pride. Truly though, football is a team sport and they played for themselves... thus they were knocked out in the same fashion England were during the Euros. These footballers are paid megabucks week in week out for their league games, they don''t feel the need to impress internationally. It''s really quite sad, I sat with my mates with tears in my eyes the other night watching the Athletics. We flicked over to the football and we all just rolled our eyes and went out.[/quote]

Mo Farah and Jess Ennis are both millionaires, don''t worry about them too much.

My point is, money wasn''t what got them to where they are. I''m pretty sure it was their spirit and determination. That certainly showed in their events!

And money doesn''t get footballers where they are.

They have to have determination to apply themselves to get into that earning position.

I really am not liking the way far too many people keep referring to footballers as if they are all Terry/Barton types. That or they are just money grabbers. They arent all like that, in fact only a small minority are. The only reason thy get paid so much, gt so much media coverage is because football is the biggest sort in this country, in Europe, in the World.

Take Holt for example, how has money turned him into a 15 goal premiership striker, from an average League One player? And did Holt at any point last season look like he was just after the money, losing his spirit and determination?

Can we please stop pretending ''footballers'' are all money grabbing, cheating, immoral people please? A few are yes, but what about the athletes who have been banned for drug abuse, or Bolt cashing in on his succes in every way possible. You can find money grabbers, cheats etc in any walk of life.

Mo Farah and Jess Ennis are both millionaires, don''t worry about them too much.

Yes they may be, but the minute they get knocked off the No 1 slot they are no where near as marketable as before, whereas a footballer can get an equally paid job somewhere else very easily

[quote user="Gingerpele"]And money doesn''t get footballers where they are.

They have to have determination to apply themselves to get into that earning position.

I really am not liking the way far too many people keep referring to footballers as if they are all Terry/Barton types. That or they are just money grabbers. They arent all like that, in fact only a small minority are. The only reason thy get paid so much, gt so much media coverage is because football is the biggest sort in this country, in Europe, in the World.

Take Holt for example, how has money turned him into a 15 goal premiership striker, from an average League One player? And did Holt at any point last season look like he was just after the money, losing his spirit and determination?

Can we please stop pretending ''footballers'' are all money grabbing, cheating, immoral people please? A few are yes, but what about the athletes who have been banned for drug abuse, or Bolt cashing in on his succes in every way possible. You can find money grabbers, cheats etc in any walk of life.[/quote]

Ah, but has 15 goals in the Prem turned Holt to make more money orientated decisions? BTW, that is just a twist on GP''s post, not a dig at Holt, because people will say that once he put his transfer request in, his spirit and determination here, waivered, and now............ 

Well you can think that about Holt of you want, but I am almost certain he just wanted job security and a deserved pay rise. You think Farah and Ennis won''t push for every advertising and money gaining option they have now?

It''s more a different culture in attitudes when training in these sports compared to footballers. Not so much money grabbing footballers but more spoiled teenager who gets the latest toy from mummy compared to abandoned orphaned athletes.

You misunderstood me.

They don''t try very hard internationally because they don''t get paid for it. There is nothing in it for them, they''ll have a career back home still. They have nothing to lose. Their hearts aren''t in it.

Athletes, the events they do, that is the be all and end all for them. So they put every last ounce of heart they have into it.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well you can think that about Holt of you want, but I am almost certain he just wanted job security and a deserved pay rise. You think Farah and Ennis won''t push for every advertising and money gaining option they have now?[/quote]

I know what you are saying GP, but what drove Holt between League 1 and the 15 goals in the Prem changed the minute he wanted away from here (spirit an ddetermination) Now he is happily signed, he will undoubtedly carry on giving us 100%, but there was a wobble for a week or two.

Like I said before, the minute Farah or Ennis drop from ''No 1'' they will lose big money, so they have to work (a lot of the time) 3 times a day, 6 days a week, to maintain their ''status'', and I would argue til the cows came home that their motivation is not money orientated. Look at the pride they had representing GB, and then look at the GB footballers.

It''s ridiculous the abuse footballers get, It all stems from jealousy. Yes what they get paid is mental but that isn''t there fault. Unless you put the effort in you don''t make it as a professional, simple as. Do you really think growing up Rooney had $$ signs in his eyes? No, he wanted to be a footballer like many of us. Don''t get me wrong there is a number of idiots in football, but wherever you work, whatever you do, there will always be idiots.

On the GB footballers, they were hardly going to feel overwhelmed, they play in these stadiums week in week out on much bigger occasions. Compare that to our GB athletes, when have they ever experienced this support?

Usain Bolt is quite like-able, but I''d say his ego is equally as big as any footballer, It''s the same with a number of athletes, but not all of them. As with football.

Footballers are only as well paid as they are because they play a sport that is very globally popular.Apart from the Olympics every 4 years it''s all about the Premierleague and football in terms of TV coverage.

[quote user="NWC"]The inevitable comparison between our olympic athletes and our footballers has started - its a pretty obvious piece, but it does make you think doesn''t it?http://www.football365.com/john-nicholson/7967858/John-Nich[/quote]Our problem is not that footballers don''t "try".  Our problem is they are technically less able than the opposition and tactically we are often out-thought and predictable to play against.  Nothing to do with effort.