Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

Naughton available?

Spurs new manager Andre Villas-Boas is set to trim his squad   with 5 players thought to be facing the chop, one of these would surely interest City boss Chris Hughton. Kyle Naughton spent all of last season on loan at Carrow Road,  City previous manager Paul Lambert is thought have been put off by the asking price when he inquired after making Naughton''s loan permanent.

I think this player is a priority. Please let''s get him in.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]Spurs new manager Andre Villas-Boas is set to trim his squad   with 5 players thought to be facing the chop, one of these would surely interest City boss Chris Hughton. Kyle Naughton spent all of last season on loan at Carrow Road,  City previous manager Paul Lambert is thought have been put off by the asking price when he inquired after making Naughton''s loan permanent.

I think this player is a priority. Please let''s get him in.[/quote]I would absolutely love it if we got him!!!

We haven''t spent much this year, so far, so we have plenty of cash to spend on Naughton and Defoe (season loan), now that would make me stand up and take notice.

I get the impression we''ve been holding onto our funds for exactly this calibre of player. Would be thrilled to have him back. As for Defoe, that would be sensational but I doubt he''d come and wages might be a problem.

it would be reasonable to think rather than spending money on a player to re-invest it in a high calibre loan player for a season. Defoe would be, as quoted... sensational.

I like Naughton, but we''ve already got 2 RB''s at the club that will either start or be on the bench... so don''t need another one of his quality... in my opinion LB is much more of a priority.

Naughton is a damn fine left back too - and can also put in a shift as CB.We need to get this player here permenantly IMO.

[quote user="NWC"]Naughton is a damn fine left back too - and can also put in a shift as CB.We need to get this player here permenantly IMO.[/quote]I agree that he can play at LB in emergency (much like Whittaker), but it''s not his best position... we''ve already signed a RB in this window & have Martin too... we have loads of CB options... at LB we only really have Tierney (granted Lappin can play there, but again he''s not really a true LB). Personally think it would make more sense to get in a player like Naughton who is left footed and played at LB all his career... not sure who that is though!

Naughton played almost as well at LB as he did at RB. Also Martin is a better CB, and bringing in Naughton would mean sending out Ayala wouldn''t require any other defensive cover. Tierney, Naughton, Whittaker for LB; Naughton, Whittaker, Martin for RB; Turner, Ward, Bennett, Martin and Barnett for CB.

Personally I think Tierney is more than up to the job of first choice LB, and Naughton would be an improvement on Whittaker and Martin at RB in theory, which means those two versatile defenders (Whittaker even in midfield as well) are available as back up options, and very useful on the bench.

But what other RBs do Spurs have?

If they just have Walker and Naughton, can''t see them bothering to sign another RB just to let Naughton go when he''s more than capable back up for Walker.

If Naughton does come up I''d love him to come here but expect tough competition from a certain west midlands club and their manager who originally brought him to City. Naughton was one of last year''s starts for me and pretty versatile and pacy too.

Thought Naughton looked better than Walker last season, at least the times I''ve seen Walker play.   Would be a great signing - loan or purchase.  Would be a real morale booster to have him back again this season.  

Let''s short circuit this.   Is there anyone who doesn''t want to see Naughton back?

I suspect that he is one of the most admired loanees ever taken on by City and his return would be universally welcomed. 

Mind you, it does really go to what Chris Hughton thinks and that may be the difficulty.

Ginger - It''s on thing Spurs wanting to keep Naughton but would he want to stay there just to be back up and most likely sitting on the bench and getting the odd cup appearance? Comes across to me that he wants to play often!

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Let''s short circuit this.   Is there anyone who doesn''t want to see Naughton back?

I suspect that he is one of the most admired loanees ever taken on by City and his return would be universally welcomed. 

Mind you, it does really go to what Chris Hughton thinks and that may be the difficulty.

[/quote]If Hughton watched the DVD''s of our games last season (which it is suggested he did), he will see what quality he bought to the squad when he was here [:)]

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]If Hughton watched the DVD''s of our games last season (which it is suggested he did), he will see what quality he bought to the squad when he was here [:)]
[/quote]

Totally agree - let''s hope

Excellent player, would love to have him back on a permanent basis.

Fingers crossed.

I am with what appears to be everyone on this - would be fantastic to have him back. I wonder if he is under consideration and on Hootons list.

Would be a fantastic signing, an almost no brainer even at the quoted 6 million, he was that good last year. There seems to be plenty left in this years warchest, but if anyone else was interested I wonder if we could compete on wages?