Sign in to follow this  
Brentwood Yellow

Ayala to Forest

I have it on good authority that Ayala will be joining Forest soon. Source is a season ticket holder at the City Ground. I rate him highly so will be disappointed if this is true.

[quote user="Brentwood Yellow"] Source is a season ticket holder at the City Ground. [/quote]

You had better tell your source that unless it has been posted on a Forest forum is on Twitter or on a dodgey rumour site i for one do not believe it. [;)]

[quote user="pablofarmer"]is your season ticket friend also the cousin of the uncle of the Forests new owners dog?[/quote]

So the OP''s source is a canine? How did it pass the information on? More perplexing is how did it get a season ticket at NFFC?

Regardless of the credence of the rumour, if you take it as any sort of possibility-Ayala out with Ward and Barnett staying and the other possibility of Vaughan out with Martin staying-its a bit odd to say the least.

Would think, approaching the real world, our central defensive duo will be two from Turner, Bennett and Ayala with the odd one out on the bench and Ward/Barnett competing for a squad place. It seems preferable to have one "footballing" centre half as part of a duo with more of the old fashioned stopper/big centre back alongside them (as demonstrated so capably at Man Utd with Ferdinand and Vidic) which means, for me, Ayala/Bennett and Turner/Ward.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Regardless of the credence of the rumour, if you take it as any sort of possibility-Ayala out with Ward and Barnett staying and the other possibility of Vaughan out with Martin staying-its a bit odd to say the least.

[/quote]

Not that odd really - someone has to want to take the player rather than just Norwich wanting to sell. If no other teams want Barnett or Martin then Norwich can''t really sell them.

Also, Ward has been getting more pre-season minutes at CB than any other of our defenders (I think) suggests to me that like Lambert, Hughton can see that Ward is actually a good CB rather than the witch hunt many of the fans have against him. I expect Turner+Ward to be the starting pairing against Fulham.

It suggests to me that Ward has more experience at the back than the young lads and whilst he has his bad days and makes mistakes, he is still one of the better CBs we have in terms of ability. I can see the likes of Ayala and Bennett being key in the future as they progress and cant see him leaving anytime just yet.

Hope this isn''t true as we need to keep the players with time on their side cos they are the long term! Lambert bought in as potential, so they need chance to fulfil that!

I do agree it looks like Hughton prefers Ward and Bennett as the Peterborough team looked like a second string, with form coming into account.

Would be happy if this was a loan. I think he has the potential to be a great CB, but has too many mistakes in him at the mo - if forest could knock them out of him he would be an excellent addition to our premier league squad.

From an actual defending point of view I wouldn''t put him in the team ahead of Ward, Bennett or Barnett as I think he''s weaker than all of those.

However, he is a skillful player and if he can sort of his defensive weaknesses then he could have a good future ahead of him.

Ayala and Vaughan going and Martin and Barnett staying would need some explaining to the fans.

A loan with a recall clause for Ayala perhaps, but anything other than that then definitely no. 

Well this seems to be what everybody is tweeting about today , Forest in talks with Ayala , so could be something in it . Strange one if true though even allowing for the possible arrival of Curtis Davies.

Again, as Bethnal has said, you can only sell contracted players if other clubs are interested. Other wise you release at a cost, or they become an almost redundant element of your 25.

Whilst many of us believe Ayala to be one of our better CH''s, he was a) Injured a lot last year and b) Formed part of a defensive unit which struggled, central defence being our weakest area of the team.

Probably will get slaughtered for this, but I dont think Ward, Barnett, even Martin are the answer, all lack the quality to perfom week in at this level. Martin at best is good cover, as is Ward.

This, to me indicates Hughton wants to re build this area and it would not surprise me to see Curtis Davies and Turner as our first choice, with someone like Danny Simpson or Kyle Naughton as right back.

We lost 3 defenders in the summer and replaced with 2 so far, and most on this board felt we were light last year, so expect to see more and also I think the big money will be spent in this area.

Re forwards, I personally think we are ok. Morison and Holt scored 24 between them last year and should be better this year as they have a years experience. With Vaughan back, and with Hughton shaping the midfield as if he will prefer a 4-5-1 formation, the numbers there seem ok.

Again, Hughton may have his own ideas.......  

Only my opinion, respect if you agree or disagree.

Too strange, even on loan. He is still a needed CB as cover this year and I see no reason to let him go. He has a lot to learn and I''m sure a loan would help aid that development, but I''d much prefer to keep him here.

Sorry Che I dont understand.

How do you sell players under contract if there is no demand?

Also, NCFC pay Chris Hughton to judge these players and put the best 11 on the pitch to win games for us. He must believe he can build a better defensive unit without Ayal if these rumours are to be believed.

We all have opinions on who is good/bad etc, but I dont understand how you can just sell players, also they have to want to go.......

Appreciate the logic applied re.demand, but the fact there doesn''t seem to be a demand for the players who we might be prepared to off load is a telling one-although Brighton''s move for Crofts yesterday showed things can happen quickly and unexpectedly.

I''ve nothing against Ward-as I said earlier, I''d like a ball playing centre back playing alongside a more ''traditional'', solid and no nonsense one-for me, the best of those at the club right now is Ryan Bennett and Michael Turner. If both were unavailable I''d go for Ayala and Ward.

Turner and Ward would be fearsome but maybe a little static. The modern game seems to demand mobile defensive units and maybe ours is enough with the full backs. However, it is great to see a centre back with the ball at his feet, striding imperiously out of the back four and up the pitch, options opening up in front of him-Bobby Moore was the first great example of that type of player I can remember, albeit at the end of his career, there have been others, Alan Hansen offered it at Liverpool, Rio Ferdinand is the same, even Dawson at Tottenham. We had it here with Ian Butterworth and John Polston.

The other option of course is to play a sweeper-which, in time, either Ayala or Bennett might be very capable of doing. But we haven''t done that since Mike Walker!

As mentioned by some other posters, we should wait until the transfer window slams shut before handing down judgement on Hughton''s dealings.

Ayala best CB against PBoro, solid with excelent distribution from back.  Lascelles has gone to Tottenham didn''t impress while on loan at Stevenage.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

even Dawson at Tottenham. [/quote]

Bit of a side issue but Dawson is not a great distributor of the ball. Kaboul, Gallas and King (when he was playing) are all better on the ball.

Fairly sure most Spurs fans would tell you''d they''d rather have a fit Ledley King in the team than Michael Dawson - if they had to make a choice.

Can''t understand this. I guess Hughton must have missed Ward''s masterclass in defending against Liverpool at home.

[quote user="pete"]Ayala best CB against PBoro,  [/quote]

Ward best CB against the considerably better and more dangerous Ajax.