Sign in to follow this  
Peter

The future of Worthy

I read an article in one of the monthly football mags that NW now performing well as a manager had been mentioned for a number of managerial positions and trotted out Leeds and Sheff Wed plus a couple of lesser lights.

The question you must ask yourself if Nw is to move on which is a sure thing, sometime in the future either throeugh ambition or failure at City where would he go ?

At the moment which Premiership side would gamble NW is the man for them, unproven at this level, some success at Div 1. The answer is noone. Look at Megson where would he be welcomed in Premier ?

When City get promoted and establish ourselves in the top flight the bigger boys may come calling but until then Nige sit tight and continue to do your best, it will only happen with continued good work.

Any suggestions who may approach NW from the Prem would be welcomed if you think NW is the real deal from a managerial point of view.

Well I''ll answer it anyway - I don''t think he''ll go and I think we''d be stupid to let him, failure or not. There are bound to be low points of his spell as manager, but the highs will outweigh them.

i am 100% certain that he wouldn''t leave 4 atleast 2 seasons. If some people think hes leaving us 4 either Leeds, Tottenham or Southampton then their wrong!

No, not yet. He''s in the middle of doing something special here. Something that could really make his name. I''m talking O''Neill with Leicester, Curbishley at Charlton. We''re still a fair way from where Leicester were with O''Neill (did they really play Barcelona back then in UEFA cup-seems impossible now!) and where Charlton are now but it''s possible. And while it is, he''ll stay. When he feels he has gone as far as he can go or that he''s come to a dead end, then he''ll start listening to offers. O''Neill went as far as he could at the time and Curbishley will surely not hold out much longer at Charlton. He was pretty frustrated by the Parker saga.

If we go up, and what Worthy sees as a more established premiership club comes in for him, he''ll be off like shot. Don''t kid yourself! Was it a couple of years ago he was umming and ahing about moving to Sheffield Wednesday - and they were on the point of being relegated to division two! This is no criticism of Worthy, it''s just the way things are. Like all of us he''s out to do the best he can for himself. If we go up, then to be honest his stock is likely to be higher this summer than next, when we could well have gone straight back down again.
Worthy is ambitious with a capital A, and we''re reaping the benefits of that at the moment. When he does leave I think Dougie Livermore will be about ready to take over, and he''s got a long-standing connection with the club. Much more likely to stay a reasonable while.

But he can be ambitious with this club still. For the next couple of years at least. The most respected manager''s are those already mentioned like O''Neill and Curbishley who have done outstanding things at so called lesser clubs and made them bigger clubs. That''s how to build a reputation. If we went up and someone came in in the summer for him, who would it be? Southampton, Spurs? I don''t think he''d have any chance of enhancing his reputation any more that if he stayed put and kept a club like Norwich in the Prem.

I''m with A1 on this one. He''s a fighter and he''s got something to prove by taking us up, and maybe even keeping us there.

He only mentioned the Sheff Wed thing to get a contract extension, and we should be glad he did.

He has to be careful. Taking us up (hopefully) and keeping us there will be a masive achievement. Any current Premiership job is a can of worms- teams like Spurs and Soton want to be challenging for UEFA cup and outside bet for Champs Lge- fans now wnat miracles and the higher you get in the league the tougher it gets and the better you have to be to make each league place of difference.

I believe he''ll stay with us for the mid term to really cement his reputation which will be invaluable to him on his CV in the future.