Sign in to follow this  
jim blair

Jordan Rhodes

If Rhodes scored say 12-15 goals in his first season then would 6m be to much? But to buy a proven premier striker that can score around 15 goals is going to cost a lot more than 6m. It''s a high price and I would be happier with around 4m but the player market is crazy. And this lad can finish!

Sorry but how was Ashton a class above? at 21 when we signed him, the same league and an inferioir goal scored record at 61 goals in 159 appearances!

So please elaborate on how Ashton is a class above?

[quote user="Indy"]

Sorry but how was Ashton a class above? at 21 when we signed him, the same league and an inferioir goal scored record at 61 goals in 159 appearances!

[/quote]

Ashton would virtually put his life on the line to score, and was far more physically robust and brave than Rhodes.  Having watched both, to me they are chalk and cheese. Rhodes is more like Freddy Eastwood at Southend IMO who scored 49 in 111 in League 1 but failed to make the higher grade.    

[quote user="Indy"]

[/quote]

Indy, Ashton had played his football in the Championship for a few years before we signed him. He was top scorer by a distance in that league before the January transfer window and generally made a much better all round contribution to the team than Rhodes does to Huddersfield. Rhodes is a good predatory striker but Ashton he ain''t...

So Paul it''s just you opinion in reality not fact, but interesting that you feel Ashton would put his life on the line as you put it, but was chastised for faking injury and moving to West Ham! Some might say (Not Me as I loved Ashton)

Rhodes that I have seen is a robust and skilfull player who has got his head together and moved up two gears in the last couple years! His record is down to putting his head in there just as much as Ashton, but hey on paper Rhodes outclasses Ashton so worht every penny.

Especially if he can get 15 goals and keep us up, he''d be with 75 million.

[quote user="Indy"]

So Paul it''s just you opinion in reality not fact, but interesting that you feel Ashton would put his life on the line as you put it, but was chastised for faking injury and moving to West Ham! Some might say (Not Me as I loved Ashton)

Rhodes that I have seen is a robust and skilfull player who has got his head together and moved up two gears in the last couple years! His record is down to putting his head in there just as much as Ashton, but hey on paper Rhodes outclasses Ashton so worht every penny.

Especially if he can get 15 goals and keep us up, he''d be with 75 million.

[/quote]

Faking injury to get a move is not relevant as that was not done on the pitch. He never faked anything on the pitch and got some horrendous injuries due to his bravery (remember his face mask) and played through injury many times out of blind loyalty. Agreed, it''s all opinion but I''m sure the bravery aspect is fact based on what I''ve seen of both players.

I''ll give you that, Ashton did score 58 goals in 121 games at Championship level, but only 16 in 38 at league 1.

All I''m saying is had this been ashton now we would be saying yes please at 6 million!

Rhodes is worth 6 million, maybe at 4 million initial payment and 1 million add on with games played and anothe 1.5 million for 50 Leagus gols!

What ever still the only striker on paper we had a chance of signing given our budget this season. Worth a go!

Personally I think the fascination with Rhodes is unhealthy.     Let him prove himself in the championship before people cast him as the next great white hope for Norwich City.   Just give it a rest.   CH may want to get a striker in - but Rhodes needs to prove himself up one level first.  

We are not clutching at straws. We do not need him.   We have goalscorers in our set up.   If we get someone else in they need to be proven at this level - which probably means a loanee.    Defoe, Berbatov, Owen have been mentioned on here but are there any others lurking amongst the premiership clubs?     Don''t know, but I do think Rhodes is developing his career and if pushed straight into the premiership - it could well stall.  Leave him where he is and look at someone we can get in who will be guaranteed to have an impact on the first team - or at least keep the front men we have got on their toes.    

LDC let''s not give it a rest! if you don''t like it don''t post!

Yes we have goal scorers in our team, but if Rhodes proves himself in the Championship he''s not going to be worth 6 million more like 8-9 million.

Why not buy and loan with an option! Or just give him the chance to prove himself!

£6m for Rhodes? Are you mad? Chuck in an extra £2m and you could have signed Papiss Cisse.

There are plenty of strikers better than a rather one dimensional Rhodes avaliable across Europe, they just take some careful scouting. Would be very disappointed if Hughton spent such a large sum of money on one unproven striker.

Anyway as it appears we will only be playing with one striker next year it would be £6m for a player who will spend a large amount of time on the bench.

[quote user="Indy"]

LDC let''s not give it a rest! if you don''t like it don''t post!

Yes we have goal scorers in our team, but if Rhodes proves himself in the Championship he''s not going to be worth 6 million more like 8-9 million.

Why not buy and loan with an option! Or just give him the chance to prove himself!

[/quote]

I wasn''t having a go at you Indy, but I just don''t think Rhodes is a sensible buy.  At any price he is a gamble - if he was a sure fire bet, why hasn''t some rich club snapped him up?    He''s in league 1 for a reason.     Yes he can score and has ability but  it doesn''t mean a jot in the premiership.    Let him prove himself in the championship for a season or two then he can make his big money move.   If that means we don''t get him thats fine - it means we were never a good move for him - or us.  

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I would be wary of the £6m figure. Even if ultimately true it is likely to include significant add-ons, such as one dependent on promotion.[/quote]

Thats paper talk so its probably more like £3m plus various add ons if he scores 20 goals, they go straight up etc etc.

So if it is that price I would have liked him here and think it was a risk worth taking, hes scored 40 odd goals in League 1 and I''m confident that he''ll get 20 odd in the championship for Blackburn and would have maybe got us an acceptable tally in the Premier playing alongside the right partner.

He''s young, he''s keen and he''ll have a lot to prove so yes I would have liked him, plus if Vaughan is off, that only leaves us Holt and Morison as dont think Jackson and C Martin are premier strikers.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I would be wary of the £6m figure. Even if ultimately true it is likely to include significant add-ons, such as one dependent on promotion.[/quote]

Thats paper talk so its probably more like £3m plus various add ons if he scores 20 goals, they go straight up etc etc.

So if it is that price I would have liked him here and think it was a risk worth taking, hes scored 40 odd goals in League 1 and I''m confident that he''ll get 20 odd in the championship for Blackburn and would have maybe got us an acceptable tally in the Premier playing alongside the right partner.

He''s young, he''s keen and he''ll have a lot to prove so yes I would have liked him, plus if Vaughan is off, that only leaves us Holt and Morison as dont think Jackson and C Martin are premier strikers.

[/quote]

angel, I''ve never seen Rhodes play but I gather he is mainly a pure goalscorer, as opposed to someone who can lead the line and/or do link-up play. My suspicion is that if we are looking in this area it is more on the lines of a powerful runner/striker. Someone who could play as a lone striker instead of Holt (or Morison, at a pinch) or alongside Holt, particularly. In other words (given our limited budget) someone out of whom we would get a fair bit of use. I am not sure that would be the case with Rhodes, who would presumably only come into his own alongside a target man.

I''d have probably given Rhodes a go but not at the figures being mentioned, whether or not it is including add-ons. The simple fact is that no PL side is taking the punt on him - even those in the market for a striker and with far deeper pockets than us (like Fulham).