Sign in to follow this  
blacko

Last 5 years relegated teams

Spotted in the paper at the weekend that only Man City in the last 5 years have been relegated and come back as an established team. Could of course be the massive outlay in players and subsequent debt.

Sheffield Wednesday was one of them and look at them now.

Moral of the story is that we need to fight tooth and nail to stay up, because statistically speaking it will be very hard to go down and come up again with a better chance of staying up. Look at WBA for example.

As you will note from other posts of mine I nail my colours firmly to the positive mast, as with 9 games to go it is far from over yet.

1st double this weekend 2-1 City 

That''s the difference, the majority of teams that have been relegated in recent seasons have overspent with no safeguards in place in regards to wage. They then have to have a firesale to clear debts and bring the wage bill right down. It''s then an uphill struggle to re-build a team in a short space of time.

That''s why I''d remain confident of challenging for promotion again

Ok so another person who looks at stats and thinks that the pattern is going to continue as such. Well look at this pattern, if i''m correct then so far all the 1st division champions have survived in the premiership for their 1st season at least. Most people i know seemed to think that just because other clubs had done this then we would follow suit, but that doesn''t look the case does it??

The pattern that i''d like to follow would be to imitate charlton, who established themselves financially, got relegated then bounced back to establish themselves in the prem. So take a look at us, rather similar circumstances wouldn''t you say? Trust me, we WILL be in the prem for the 06/07 season and we WILL come back stronger and better prepared.

Looks at some of the teams which have gone down though.  Sheff Wed, Wimbledon, Leeds, Leicester, Ippo, Bradford etc etc.  All had crippling debts.  We won''t be in that situation and would have a much better chance of bouncing back

Yep I,ve got my positive head on today and think we will storm the Championship next year providing we can keep the nucleus of a good side (Ashton, Hux, Leon, Green). 

[quote]Looks at some of the teams which have gone down though. Sheff Wed, Wimbledon, Leeds, Leicester, Ippo, Bradford etc etc. All had crippling debts. We won''t be in that situation and would have a much ...[/quote]

I agree with DD that we''re definitely not in the same position as these teams. The board took the sensible option and realised when we got promoted that first the club needs to secure it''s finances. It would have taken a massive gamble to try and stay up in our first season and possiby do an Ipswich.

Even though it''s not a certainty I''m looking forward to another season in the 2nd tier. We won''t need to sell anybody although the players I expect to see leave are Green, Francis, Helveg, Mulryne and Jonsson.

With another couple of players coming in we will be one of the favourites to do well. Just imagine the trail of destruction McKenzie and Ashton would leave with the supply from Huckerby and a couple of new midfielders. It''s an exciting prospect.  

aren''t we being a bit presumptious I bet leicester, wolves and leeds all presumed they''d come back, as would west ham the season before and so on. I''m not talking the stats just the facts.

If we go down then next season will be a really tough one, you instantly become a target for other clubs wanting to claim a scalp, not to mention the struggle to hold onto players.

I think we got to stop presuming that a step back is a back forward, a step back is a step back.

we might bounce back, we might not, but we''ve wasted the great opportunity we had to push this club on.

I''m not going to say that next season wont be tough, I think the Championship is far more competitive. Especially considering that even the best teams loose because there is a much smaller gap between the amount spent etc.

However, Leicester went into administration and had to sell off key players like Izzet, Savage etc. Leeds were the same, and although seem to be signing everyone under the sun still lack quality. Wolves although not going into debt as such did loose their chairman through retirement and he had funded a lot of the success.

Charlton are a good model. Some people have mentioned Bolton, but they allways seem to be on a nife-edge every season. They allways look as if a couple of bad results could see them collapse and go down. Plus they rely heavily on bringing in lots of old foreign players on the cheap. To me thats too hit and miss to put a large amount of faith into.

What the club is doing now is far better than anything else it could do really. I would also like to see them take up the initiative that Charlton has with accademies. It has set one up in South America as well as another couple in Europe I think. Thats the way forward, expand our recruitment area and start getting more tallented youngsters through.

No, the club is running along just fine. I am much happier that we have a long-term stratergy after the last ten years most of which was spent trying to find ways of delaying the cash repayments on loans and debts and wondering where the next player is going to come from (normally Delias'' purse).