Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Why are we reluctant to spend?

[quote user="Bore Bore Bor"]

The lack of ambition at boardroom level has been a constant ever since Arthur South. Unfortunately, you have to get used to it.  I don''t believe there''s any reluctance to spend, but I do believe there''s a reluctance to pay the going weekly rate in wages and that''s what will hold our club back as you will only get by with promising young players for so long, and then they become proven players, demand a wage increase, leave, and we take a step backwards.

[/quote]

The biggest difference in the way the club is being run now is that we are successful on and off the field.    I don''t know the details, but I do know we are in the best position financially than we have ever been.    Ever since I can remember we have struggled to keep our heads above water as a club.   From the days when we were only renting the stadium, new stands, etc etc - usually only saved by selling our best players (Reeves, Sutton etc).        We are in a new world of relative safety in terms of long term viability.   It would be reckless to go down the route of getting in players with big fees and wages involved.    We do not have to sell players any more.    As for ambition - what is being ambitious?   Wanting to overspend so as to achieve some only dreamed of  high level, only to face debt and inevitable downward spiral???

Ambition for me is getting the club to develop steadily over a period of time, gradually strengthening all areas of the club.   Steady progress on and off the pitch.    We should be ecstatic  for the situation we are in.    The rise of this club has been astounding and we are continuing with the same policy.    It will lead to prolonged strengthening of all areas of the club.  

I wish those of you who feel "underwhelmed" would get a reality check and try to understand what is actually happening at our club.   

[quote user="Gingerpele"]We finished 12th last season. And have only lost Whitbread, Naughton & Wilbraham, now Ayala on loan. We replaced the first two with Turner & Whittaker (two experienced defenders) and have signed Snodgrass and Butterfield. The right players aren''t available. Hughton may have had a whole wealth of targets in mind, who are either not being allowed to leave by their clubs, are happy where they are, or have gone else where for what ever reason. Hughton is simply happy with the majority of the squad, and only ever planned on filling in the gaps with a few players when the right man is available. Were not a rich club, even if McNally said Hughton could spend £20 million on transfer fees this season, doesn''t mean he will want to spend it all now. He''s a new manager who will have been very impressed with what happened here last season. Why does he need to go and spend a load of money? We might not all be too exited with the signings, but Hughton might be, and until he fails (which I don''t expect him to do) can''t we give him the same respect we gave Lambert? Very few questioned him, in fact i''''d go as far as saying so far we''ve had more doubts on here about Hughton, the players he''s buying, his friendlies, his whatever than we ever had over Lambert. The ''lack'' of spending, doesn''t have to be a bad thing. I''m personally quite glad Hughton hasn''t gone and bought whoever he could get his hands on. We don''t have huge financial clout, and I would expect a few targets haven''t been able to join because of that, so Hughton is just keeping his eyes open for potential new recruits while moulding the current, successful squad he has at his disposal into the team he wants to see out on the pitch.[/quote]

Drury ..we also lost Drury

[quote user="lake district canary"]

The biggest difference in the way the club is being run now is that we are successful on and off the field.    I don''t know the details, but I do know we are in the best position financially than we have ever been.    Ever since I can remember we have struggled to keep our heads above water as a club.   From the days when we were only renting the stadium, new stands, etc etc - usually only saved by selling our best players (Reeves, Sutton etc).        We are in a new world of relative safety in terms of long term viability.   It would be reckless to go down the route of getting in players with big fees and wages involved.    We do not have to sell players any more.    As for ambition - what is being ambitious?   Wanting to overspend so as to achieve some only dreamed of  high level, only to face debt and inevitable downward spiral???

Ambition for me is getting the club to develop steadily over a period of time, gradually strengthening all areas of the club.   Steady progress on and off the pitch.    We should be ecstatic  for the situation we are in.    The rise of this club has been astounding and we are continuing with the same policy.    It will lead to prolonged strengthening of all areas of the club.  

I wish those of you who feel "underwhelmed" would get a reality check and try to understand what is actually happening at our club.   

[/quote]

I may be wrong but I don''t think we''ve ever rented Carrow Road. Have we not always owned it?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

I may be wrong but I don''t think we''ve ever rented Carrow Road. Have we not always owned it?

[/quote]I think at one time the ground belonged to Boulton & Paul. I seem to remember we paid a sum of £100k to buy it sometime in the eighties.I stand corrected if anyone can remember the exact facts but that''s how I recall it.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think at one time the ground belonged to Boulton & Paul. I seem to remember we paid a sum of £100k to buy it sometime in the eighties.

I stand corrected if anyone can remember the exact facts but that''s how I recall it.
[/quote]

I have a vague recollection of it being  something to do with buying the freehold of the land, rather than leasing it off the council?

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]I think at one time the ground belonged to Boulton & Paul. I seem to remember we paid a sum of £100k to buy it sometime in the eighties.I stand corrected if anyone can remember the exact facts but that''s how I recall it.[/quote]Checking my records I find that we purchased the ground from Boulton & Paul in May 1971 for £136k. The purchase of the Car Park followed in 1993.There were also other land purchases from Laurence & Scott in more recent years.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bore Bore Bor"]

The lack of ambition at boardroom level has been a constant ever since Arthur South. Unfortunately, you have to get used to it.  I don''t believe there''s any reluctance to spend, but I do believe there''s a reluctance to pay the going weekly rate in wages and that''s what will hold our club back as you will only get by with promising young players for so long, and then they become proven players, demand a wage increase, leave, and we take a step backwards.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you work for the club?, I find myself asking.  You sound rather like one of Chairman Mao''s disciples who swallowed the book of propaganda whole and could only regurgitate it.

"We should be ecstatic for the situation we are in. The rise of this club has been astounding and we are continuing with the same policy. It will lead to prolonged strengthening of all areas of the club."

I could well imagine the same thing being said by followers of Kim Jong-Il.  All hail the glorious Carrow Road revolution, comrades!

Now I know you think I''m on the negative side of things and I would agree with you, but it seems to me that you are unquestioning in your support of the board and management, and that to me is more dangerous than the ability to ask the odd question.

[quote user="ricardo"]

Checking my records I find that we purchased the ground from Boulton & Paul in May 1971 for £136k. The purchase of the Car Park followed in 1993.

There were also other land purchases from Laurence & Scott in more recent years.
[/quote]

I just knew you would know all about our tangible fixed assets.[;)]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think at one time the ground belonged to Boulton & Paul. I seem to remember we paid a sum of £100k to buy it sometime in the eighties.

I stand corrected if anyone can remember the exact facts but that''s how I recall it.
[/quote]

Checking my records I find that we purchased the ground from Boulton & Paul in May 1971 for £136k. The purchase of the Car Park followed in 1993.

There were also other land purchases from Laurence & Scott in more recent years.
[/quote]

Thanks very much for that information, Ricardo. Unless I am mistaken, though, we have never - unlike some clubs - rented the stadium itself, which was what ldc was talking about. We paid for the original building (at a cost of £25,963, according to Canary Citizens, which seems remarkably low!) and have found the funding for all the subsequent improvements.

Stand out stat from the list of 19 clubs is that only 2 other than us have not recruited players from a club outside the UK.

No doubt largely due to the lack of a continental scouting network.

This is the key area that needs developing, as we cannot keep on finding Prem players from the lower leagues.

I went into John Lewis''s yesterday. There was nothing that I wanted to buy at a price I was willing to pay. I wasnt reluctant to buy just in a place where there was nothing I wanted that was affordable. Why is it so hard to imagine Chris Hughton is in a similar situation?

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]I went into John Lewis''s yesterday. There was nothing that I wanted to buy at a price I was willing to pay. I wasnt reluctant to buy just in a place where there was nothing I wanted that was affordable. Why is it so hard to imagine Chris Hughton is in a similar situation?[/quote]If you haven''t a pot to piss in why look in John Lewis?  Look for a bargain in the 99p Shop.  It isn''t hard to imagine Hughton hasn''t a pot to piss in either, and he''s looking for a bargain basement buy.