Sign in to follow this  
Bws Cat

The Ambassadors view on todays game

Not sure what to think of todays game, but im going to give my best shot and describe it as I saw it.

The first half was a negative style of play. The midfield was like it was against Ajax to be honest, quite fragile and it just kind of sat there as Borussia attacked. Thier goal could have been stopped by Turner, who made a bit of a flimsy attempt at clearing it, allowing them to easily slot it in (however apart from that I must say Turner had a good game!). There was no motivation at all to score, and I could see no energy being directed towards thier half. We sat deep and let them bombard us; testing our defense. They did do well however, from my point of view I believe the defense was quite solid.

However during the second half there was a different team on the pitch! All of a sudden the midfield came to life and we had some very good surges at goal. Snodgrass came very, very close at one point. There was some excellent play from Howson to whip the ball to Snoddy, who rounded the keeper and...failed to score. I can see what Hughton meant in his earlier interviews. We need to be MORE GREEDY! Snoddy was sitting in front of goal with no keeper waiting for E Bennet to finish it! SHOOOOOOOT!

Personally, I felt Snodgrass really gave us the ''oomph'' we were looking for in the first half. We made several excellent attacks which Snoddy was creating and attempting to finish most of the time. Excellent work from him.

Our forwards however just couldn''t finish. Im sorry, but Holt was nowhere during the game. Most of the time he made no effort into running into the box and attempting to make his classic scraps for the ball and powerful headers. Sometimes he was just in the wrong position, even outside the box sometimes. Poor game from Holt.

The last fifteen minutes was a rather dissapointing flop however. Again, our midfield collapsed, and we had no urge or power to strike back into thier penalty box. They dominated us again sadly and thus they got thier well deserved goal. This also meant Morison got no time to shine.

My conclusion is that Hughton was just trying to test things out for us. One half was to be negative, defensive football, whilst the other was to be a more attacking, attractive, offensive football. An experiment which I hope offers good results (I think it will). Well done City, but try to just put more energy into those attacks! Oh, and calm down!

Positives

- Yet more good Defensive play

- Turner was a solid rock at the back as well

- When the midfield gave some effort, it produced some good results

- Snodgrass shined for a while

Negatives

-The midfield, WHERE ARE YOU? LETS BE AVIN YOU!

- Holt did nothing

- Little greed, no energy to actually put the ball in the back of the net

Thanks for the report, Ambo.  It seems as if they were testing themselves out, defensively.  Not flat out - and that makes sense. Concentrating on specific areas  - that makes sense.   Just goes to show that we shouldn''t read anything into results and performances in friendlies.   They are not the real thing.  The real thing  is next Saturday..........

[quote user="Wing Wang Otter"]I think Snodgrass went through from a stray pass from the opposition''s defence and not Howson playing him through[/quote]

Oh, sorry. Looked like that from my shite seats in the lower N&P!

I agree with much of what you say but to my mind the problem is attitude - the first half, we didn''t want it and were second to every ball.  The second half was a bit better but we were still outclassed in pretty much every area of the pitch and to be honest, I left after eighty-seven minutes to collect my dry cleaning as I thought that would be more interesting.  I was wrong though, they told me to come back on Monday as the suit needs a second press.  If anyone knows a better dry cleaners than the one on Grove Road then please let  me know by private message.

You need one that is more used to removing dribble from the lapels

[quote user="The Ambassador"]Bore, this is a football forum. Add your relevant opinions or piss off.[/quote]

[quote user="Bore Bore Bor"]I agree with much of what you say but to my mind the problem is attitude - the first half, we didn''t want it and were second to every ball. The second half was a bit better but we were still outclassed in pretty much every area of the pitch and to be honest, I left after eighty-seven minutes to collect my dry cleaning as I thought that would be more interesting. [/quote]

I think you''ve been very unfair to me, my opinions were clearly stated in the first part of my post (as re-quoted above in case you can''t read).  I apologise if a call for help regarding domestic matters offends you, but until you own this message board maybe you should consider other people''s needs.

[quote user="City1st"]

You need one that is more used to removing dribble from the lapels

[/quote]

Very good, although when you get to our age I believe dribbling from one''s mouth is the least of our worries.

[quote user="The Ambassador"]Sorry....what was the original post about?[/quote]

You referred to yourself in the third person then talked about today''s friendly match.  I agreed with you, and you told me to piss off.

"Very good, although when you get to our age I believe dribbling from one''s mouth is the least of our worries."

but it might help if you didn''t post up that dribbling on here

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]

[quote user="The Ambassador"]Sorry....what was the original post about?[/quote]

You referred to yourself in the third person then talked about today''s friendly match.  I agreed with you, and you told me to piss off.

[/quote]

Thtanks, bbb, that''s given me my biggest laugh of the day! [:)]

I think you should note that I told you to piss off because your comments were off-topic. I have no power over anybody on this forum but I have seen other posters show discomfort and annoyance at your posts.

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]That''s not strictly true, BBB does make comment on the game.

I think you''re upset because your post didn''t get the brevity you think it deserved.[/quote]

I think your rather arrogant to make quick presumptions on my personality.

Over the internet.

[quote user="The Ambassador"][quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]That''s not strictly true, BBB does make comment on the game. I think you''re upset because your post didn''t get the brevity you think it deserved.[/quote] I think your rather arrogant to make quick presumptions on my personality. Over the internet.[/quote]

WIthout wanting to take this thread off the topic of football again and risk you telling me to piss off, it''s "you''re", dear.  "You''re." I think you are rather arrogant....  = "I think you''re rather arrogant."

Not that I think you''re rather arrogant.  I think you''re just rude.  I shall be reporting you to Sports Desk Pete forthwith.

[quote user="super canary"]Its all getting a little bit silly over here isnt it? This is a football forum, not a playground.[/quote]

That''s all well and good, but my father shagged your mum up the brown hole.

[quote user="super canary"]Its all getting a little bit silly over here isnt it? This is a football forum, not a playground.[/quote]

[/quote]

Stupid automatic spell check,  I meant to say my father skinned Scott Dann up in Walsall.

[/quote]

Unexpected reply.

Ambassador - Bor is a parody of Bly Bly Babes. Whoever is behind Bor is a knowledgeable sort as well as a comedian, and clearly responded to your original post with the opening half of his reply in a sensible insightful way. He then returned to his character for the latter half of his post. This wasn''t to take away from your post.

You need to be a little less precious. Everybody who posts something worthwhile on here is disappointed with the response they get, but the more upset you get the more people will take the p!ss.

Bor is one of my favourite posters on this board. If I see his name on the front page I automatically go to that post first. He cheers me up and is entertaining but also has a great knowledge of our club going back to the 60s. He answered the opening post agreeing with The Ambassador then adding his own conclusions from the game. The last part of his post surely adds to the enjoyment of The Ambassador''s thread where as the later posts from The Ambassador are those of a sourpuss and certainly take away from the enjoyment of the thread.

We are very lucky to have so many entertaining posters on this board.

[quote user="The Ambassador"]Our forwards however just couldn''t finish. Im sorry, but Holt was nowhere during the game. Most of the time he made no effort into running into the box and attempting to make his classic scraps for the ball and powerful headers. Sometimes he was just in the wrong position, even outside the box sometimes. Poor game from Holt.[/quote]
I''m going to assume that you were at the game, and also that you''ve never played the game, especially as a striker. 
Holty, as usual, worked his socks of.  Made countless runs into good positions and generally, as is his way, made a nuisance of himself. He was, in case you didn''t notice, playing pretty much on his own up there for most of the game. The problem was with the service he was given.  It was probably the least effective I have seen Pilks and Bennett, in fact I''m struggling to remember a decent cross in from either.
I will however, agree with you about Mr Snodgrass.  Excellent game, excellent work rate, and whoever said he was slow ???

Just echo what has been said here. I don''t think Holt is a natural at playing up top by himself but as Scooby said he really was feed off scraps yesterday. Most of the balls played up to him were hopeful, straight and floated. If that happens then a competant centre half should pretty much win the ball every time. He has greater awareness of the flight of the ball and is able to take a running jump while the striker is jumping from a stationary position. The other thing is with Holt a huge part of his game is based on the battle with centre half. Much of that is removed from a friendly scenario due to the intensity of the game.

Very impressed by Snodgrass. His set piece delivery in particular I thought was very dangerous. There was one free kick in the second half that was begging to be put away it was that good. In a competitive game I am certain he would have probably gone down when the keeper clipped him as well. You would then have been talking about penalties and a sending off. But I think he is best utilised in a wider postion. The delivery is excellent and because he is two footed you cant pin him down. He can cut inside or take someone down the line. The idea of him and Pilkington inteechanging with both being two footed is mouthwatering. I know Pilks didnt have his best game yesterday but is a player of undoubted quality. However the maestro of knitting midfield and attack together is still Wesley and I think he could be the vital cog in getting this 4-2-3-1 system (or whatever you regard it as) to work.

Wow, standards have slipped here of late...

Holt is usually a lot better playing in a front two. Last season when we played one up, Morison usually started.

As for Snodgrass, we have been warned by Leeds fans he is much better on the wing than behind a front-man.

I think im being misunderstood, im not a Holt hater. I just thought Holt didn''t do anything yesterday due to the excellent points bought up by the two posters above me. Holt can''t play alone.