Sign in to follow this  
the duke of norfolk

How much difference will not having Lambert as manager make next season?

Impossible to say,

Did he really have a ''Cavalier Style''???

Also, no one will know what his ''influence in the dressing room'' really was!

There are two possibilities.   It could be better or it could be worse.  Judging from the experience Hughton has had as a manager it could and should be better.    There was a momentum that PL instigated which had maybe run its course - hence him jumping ship.   We are in a new era now - seeing if we can strengthen the club''s position in the premiership.   I''m confident Hughton knows what he is doing.   It may be a tough season (they all are) but I think Hughton is man enough for the job.  He talks well - and he has the reputation of getting he best out of his players. 

I wish I could see the world the same way as LDC. But why haven''t we more significantly strengthened the team over the summer? If the club is serious about staying in the PL - especially if we play a more conservative brand of football under Hughton - we need to invest in quality in the team.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Rumor has it that the players didn''t really like him?! And that they like what Hughton is aiming to do. Only time will tell.[/quote]

Perhaps, that''s why Lambert was so effective?

The players, or some of them might not have liked Lambert but he made them succeed beyond their abilities and that meant discipline and fear amoungst footballers who are, on the whole, cossetted egotistical and childish and overpaid to the point of distraction.

Rest assured, if a footballer sees a weakness in an manager he will take advantage.

Hughton is an intelligent and thoughtful man, but does he have the ruthless streak?

" cavalier style is going to be missed "

I thought it was a Toyota Yaris he had

Still fair play to the joke of norfolk for finding his long lost log-in details. Makes it so much easier when you are attacking the club via lies about our league position last season, misrepresenting a directors remarks and this guff about Lambert.

All of which have been the stable fare of the whingers and whiners of late, nice to have a ''new'' member of that  group joining us

[quote user="I am a Banana"]Rumor has it that the players didn''t really like him?! And that they like what Hughton is aiming to do. Only time will tell.[/quote]

Interesting theory (something I had heard myself), and sort of backed up, why not one City player has followed him to Villa, yet Rodgers already has 2 ex Swansea players at Liverpool.

Lambert is an incredibly hard act to follow, I don''t think there is a manager in the country who achieved so much considering the resources at their disposal over the last few seasons.

I hope people remember it took us a month or so to find our feet last season. Above all else we need to give Hughton and the team time to find their feet. Unfortunately judging by many of the comments on here a lot of fans have already made their mind up.

That''s what worries me too Mahogany.Are people prepared to back Hughton as much as they did Lambert?

Time will tell but I think Hughton has a more orthodox approach than Lambert.Lambert was never scared to experiment but was quick to drop things if they didn''t work out. Will Hughton have the same impact? Ricardo waits to be convinced.

Hughton has a hell of a job on his hands here-if he succeeds, he''ll become as much a managerial hot property as Lambert became-it''ll have taken time, what with his long spell at Tottenham and then time as Manager at Newcastle and Birmingham-he''s done the knowledge and will have proven himself in the eyes of many if he keeps us up this season.

Not that Lambert was an overnight success either-like Hughton, he did the knowledge, worked his way up and impressed, massively so, in his three years with us. So there are parallels between the two of them-which may go as far, as I said earlier, to us eventually having to deal with speculation linking him to other jobs as well-and I really hope that becomes the case.

As regards Lambert-I just remember words I heard when I was working my way up the corporate ladder and in management-"they don''t have to like you, but they must respect you". I tried to be everyones mate in one job I had, it didn''t work and they eventually had me for breakfast. Lambert was never anyones mate at Norwich I suspect-kept his distance,they knew he was the boss and respected him for that, for being their Manager not the man. Hughton comes across as a nice guy-approachable, media friendly, ready smile on his face-maybe that comes across to the players as someone who is approachable and who they can come to with anything-but the "good" thing about being seen as the nice guy is, as and when you do lose it, it has a hell of a lot more impact than if you are normally dour anyway. 

The players, as we are told, have signed up for Hughton''s plan, whatever it is, for this season and what he wants to achieve. Much of that seems to be based on the way we play and the formation he''ll be looking to utilise. 4-4-1-1 or 5-4-1 doesn''t fill me full of joy I have to admit, I don''t think it suits our two main strikers to work solo-if anything, the players we have now points more to a 4-3-3 with two "traditional" wingers on either side of Holt in attack and a middle 3 of Johnson-Howson-Snodgrass but anyway...it would seem the way of play and the culture at the club as far as the playing personnel are concerned, has changed and that Hughton has, as much as possible, wanted to rid the club of the Lambert era as much as he can and make it his club and team, not the one that was Lambert''s. That has probably been his biggest challenge since day 1 but the big issue that will dominate our first dozen games or so next season will be comparisons with Lambert-results wise, play wise, and players wise. If we struggle-then the name of Lambert will be on everyones tongue as much as Hughton''s will be and he will be under a lot of pressure. I think Hughton is pretty much unsackable, even if we go down-his appointment will have an ability to get us back up again in mind if the worse happens-so although he won''t feel a lot of pressure from within, he certainly will from the outside and that will be the big difference from last season-Lambert could have done no wrong, even if we had struggled and gone down-if the same happens this time around under Hughton, people will soon let him know all about it-even starting with defeat on Saturday.

Hughton is a very good manager and probably holds the loyalty of dressing rooms as well if not better than lambert. This was however lamberts squad bulit up over 3 years and his loss will be disruptive to what extent only time will tell. Lambert was coming in for some mild criticism towards the end of last season but what you saw was what you got a very positive attack minded winner. hughton though good is different, more conservative and probably a tad more defence minded. Our style will change to some extent but his Newcastle and Birmingham sides still scored loads of goals. By October we should start to get a feel how the season will go

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]Lambert is gone. Stop discussing what might have been. Get over it.[/quote]

But the obsession persists!

Hughton seems to be universally respected and admired by everyone he''s managed. If you search him on the bbc website you can find great reports when he left Newcastle and Birmingham. More importantly for those who think being liked is unhelpful, at both clubs you will find players like Curtis Davis who are full of praise for him as a coach and credit him with saving their careers.

I think irrespective of Lambert''s great qualities, his momentum had reached its course and his ability to inspire was diminishing.

I''ve always thought that the best comparison with Lambert was John Bond. After restoring this club, bond left for a big club and was succeeded by quieter managers who built on the foundations that he had created. I am glad that lambert has moved on and happy we have the experience, calm and dignity of Hughton leading us.

Losing Lambert means that beating teams like Swansea away last season might not happen this season. It''s going to be more of a scrap. I think we will be heavily in a relegation dog fight come May 2013.