Sign in to follow this  
Oz Canary

Michael Owen

[quote user="Oz Canary"]Bookies have installed us as second favourites behind Stoke to sign Michael Owen. Interesting times...........[/quote]

1-2 Stoke win the race by a mile (nearer his stables) - that''s if the horse in question doesn''t pull a hamstring first...........

Well as long as we didnt break the bank and based any payment on a pay as you play it might be worth a go.

I still remember Martin Peters swan song at Carrow road mixture of youth and experience never hurts.

Wouldnt be my choice but I would give it a chance.

Oh dear, really hope not. We don''t need a sick note being paid no doubt exorbitant money. He would have to see it as a final payday with no real commitment. A pay as you play deal would be the only sensible way.

The only positive would be the publicity, as no doubt it would get a hell of a lot of press and interest from afar.

Owen doesn''t see it as his final payday, or he''d leave the country. He wants to play in the Premiership, he''s not going to get half the money he could in China, Russia, Qatar, USA etc if he stays here. He doesn''t even want to go to the Championship, I imagine someone like Leicester would be happy to break the bank for Owen. If he really does want to still play in the Prem, it isn''t going to be a financial thing for him.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Owen doesn''t see it as his final payday, or he''d leave the country. He wants to play in the Premiership, he''s not going to get half the money he could in China, Russia, Qatar, USA etc if he stays here. He doesn''t even want to go to the Championship, I imagine someone like Leicester would be happy to break the bank for Owen. If he really does want to still play in the Prem, it isn''t going to be a financial thing for him.[/quote]

As you say GP, it won''t be financial. More geographical.  Stoke is less than an hour''s drive from his Manor House Stable complex.   Odds on Stoke!

5/6 Stoke 2/1 Norwich , surely we are not going to sign this joker . Says a great deal about the management and scouts if we are after a striker and Owen is all they can come up with . Imo would weaken furthur an already weak strikeforce .

Here we go again, weak f*cking strike force my a*se! Owen might not be the best thing ever, but to say he is rubbish is even more hilarious. Wouldn''t be a bad thing.

The only reason some of you people are saying it would be bad is to cover up the disappointment when we don''t get him. clowns. ;]

[quote user="Ncfc"]5/6 Stoke 2/1 Norwich , surely we are not going to sign this joker . Says a great deal about the management and scouts if we are after a striker and Owen is all they can come up with . Imo would weaken furthur an already weak strikeforce .[/quote]I''m speechless. Honestly.

He may not of played much for Man U over the last couple of seasons but he is one of the most consistent goal scorers around. If you see it from that perspective..

Last 3 seasons.

11/12 - 7 apps 5 goals - 1 goal every 1.4 apps

10/11 - 16 apps 5 goals - 1 goal every 3 apps

09/10 - 30 apps 9 goals - 1 goal every 3 apps

That''s overall 1 goal every 2.6 games

He has also been coming on with 10 or so minutes to spare which hardly gives him any time to settle into a game. If we can get him for the same wages we pay everyone else I see this as a no-brainer.

20-30 mins a game and he will score goals. Of course there is the fitness issue, but hasn''t he been fit for a year or so now? He must have gas in the tank given the few games he''s played recently. I''d think a one-year deal would be worth the gamble.

Would love to see this happen, I think a Holt/Owen partnership, injuries permitting, would be a handful for any defence. Perhaps the way we play would also be more of a draw for Michael, over Stoke''s physical long ball style. A gamble definitely worth taking should the opportunity arise I think - one of the very most naturally gifted strikers this country has ever produced, I would like to see him at Carrow Rd for sure.

I''m pretty sure this won''t happen for the resons I stated on the other MO thread. Nothing against him a s a player, I think he would do a job for us, but I would rather have Defoe given that choice.

[quote user="NWC"]I''m pretty sure this won''t happen for the resons I stated on the other MO thread. Nothing against him a s a player, I think he would do a job for us, but I would rather have Defoe given that choice.
[/quote]

Defoe needs too many chances before he scores - poor strike rate.   Would rather see Jackson given  a chance! [:)]

I would be amazed if we actually end up having a choice between Michael Owen and Defoe!!!

Would love Defoe and would not be opposed to Owen provided payment terms are right.

Whilst I admire and continue to support the young and hungry philosophy the club has adopted I do feel we could do with that little bit of pure quality and unforunately this is more likely to come from a loan signing or someone who has an element of risk.

It could pay off whilst we continue to develop the likes of Vaughan, Jackson and Morrison alongside them

He''s from the north, lives in the north, has his horses stabled in the north, and Stoke are in the north. Norwich are in the south east.

Also, he''s crocked, no longer has pace, and did I mention he''s crocked? Now stop.

I wouldn''t turn down Owen on his playing ability, he''s not even half the player he used to be, but is still an exceedingly good finisher one of the most consistent in the league, he has changed his game since his best days, now he relies on good control and distribution rather than pace, the biggest issue would be wages which I just can''t see us matching or competing with.

I can''t see this happening but it is surprising that we are such hotly tipped seconds for his signature.

But if we did get him, and we didn''t break the bank to do so I''m not really sure what there is to complain about. If he came to us as many have pointed out it wouldn''t be a big pay day or geographically an easy move for him. Therefore the only reason he would is because he still wants to play premiership football and score goals, can''t understand how anyone could look at him being here as a bad thing.

For all those saying he is passed it and a crock, while he has nowhere near the pace he used to NYCanaries breakdown of his goalscoring form shows he can still be relied upon to score at a top strikers rate. His injury record has been light since the surgery which caused him to miss the last couple of months of his first season at Man U, until last years thigh injury which is obviously fresh in the mind. But if he passed a stringent medical who knows if he would stay fit, but on pay as you play like Man U who cares, not so much of a gamble.

Since it looks like the Stoke offer of a Pay-as-you Play contract has been rejected by Michael Owen, as second favourites, does this now place us in the drivers seat.

There was a rumour late last week that the Stoke deal was dead and that he will sign for us and be in place for the trip to Fulham.

I am sure we will see over the next 72 hours??????????

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="Oz Canary"]Bookies have installed us as second favourites behind Stoke to sign Michael Owen. Interesting times...........[/quote]

1-2 Stoke win the race by a mile (nearer his stables) - that''s if the horse in question doesn''t pull a hamstring first...........

[/quote]

I have it on very very good authority that a horse can be stable''d anywhere as long as the stable is 12x12 and has a door with a latch on it and light bulb than can be switched on and off when required, he don''t own the stables,he pays Livery charges, these are not fixed prices either some livery yards charge more than others, depends on DIY or FULL as I''m sure horse people on here will confirm, as well as a horse can be moved from 1 stable to another with very short notice. My only fear of us signing him will be he will probably be at Newmarket more than Carrow road.

I was just checking his odds on Oddschecker, when his odds to join Everton shortened from evens to 4/9.

Nice and handy for his racing and horse breeding empire in Cheshire then.

[quote user="Canarygeorge"]I was just checking his odds on Oddschecker, when his odds to join Everton shortened from evens to 4/9. Nice and handy for his racing and horse breeding empire in Cheshire then.[/quote]

Morning George may see you saturday in the Shrublands.

[quote user="Jonzey"]

He''s from the north, lives in the north, has his horses stabled in the north, and Stoke are in the north. Norwich are in the south east.

Also, he''s crocked, no longer has pace, and did I mention he''s crocked? Now stop.

[/quote]

Can I just point out that we are not in the ''South East''. Not even by most Northerners sense of English geography.

As for being crocked, according to Fergie he has been fit since at least January - just that he is hardly going to get ahead of the likes of Rooney or Hernandez these days is he?

I doubt Defoe will go anywhere, Spurs don''t seem to have any strikers. Very amusing listening to their fans on Talksport, looks like AVB is really doing the business.

[quote user="Wiz"]Defoe would be a dream signing for me, but his wages would surely, and quite rightly, break our wage structure.[/quote]

Why, in God''s name, would Defoe be a dream signing?