Sign in to follow this  
the duke of norfolk

Blind optimism is staggering.

I have to say that reading many of the posts on here for some time now it slightly amazes me just how much blind optimism there is by so many of you for our chances next season.Now I don''t like to be negative but at the present time, unless some more quality signings are made, I have a bad feeling about next season. I just don''t see that we have moved on much from last season. Yes, we finished 12th but that was  only 5 points above the relegation zone. If the season had gone for much longer we probably would have faced the drop.Here''s hoping that Hughton  can pull some quality signings out of the bag that are going  to  make a big difference to the quality of our starting 11.

we finished 12th because we deserved to finish 12th and that was a great achievement. please do not make that a negative thing as well.

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]I have to say that reading many of the posts on here for some time now it slightly amazes me just how much blind optimism there is by so many of you for our chances next season.Now I don''t like to be negative but at the present time, unless some more quality signings are made, I have a bad feeling about next season. I just don''t see that we have moved on much from last season. Yes, we finished 12th but that was  only 5 points above the relegation zone. If the season had gone for much longer we probably would have faced the drop.Here''s hoping that Hughton  can pull some quality signings out of the bag that are going  to  make a big difference to the quality of our starting 11.[/quote]I agree. We need some great signings very soon.

I am optimistic and positive about this season, but I''m also realistic and know it will be a lot tougher season than last year.

As a fan I don''t see the point in thinking we are going to do badly, I''d rather get behind the lads and cheer them on.

Why does anyone with positive opinions have to be blind?

Why do so many people have to try and find an excuse to devalue others opinion?

As for new signings, we''ve already got a great squad and made a good signings, if CH makes more which I''m sure he will then great, if not I believe in the squad we have now.

I some times think people want Ncfc to spend just for the sake of it.

No one is being blindly optimistic - not even me - what alot of us are saying is that to take the pre-season games as an indication of what will happen during the season, is just wrong.    If we are not careful, we shall be "underwhelmed" "depressed" "worried" before a ball has been kicked in anger - because people are getting wound up about pre season!!  Its been shown time and time again that pre-season games are not a good indication.  The better the pre-season, often leads to false optimism (remember 2009 pre-season?).

Blind negativism is just as bad as blind optimism and the truth is that some where in between.   To me we have strengthened defence and midfield, still have the main attackers from last season (who scored plenty) and have a manager that is known to get the best out of his players.  Thats all. Its not blind optimism.    We should be more worried about blind negativism...........................

I haven''t seen any blind optimism on here.Even the most positive posters know,and say,it''s going to be a hard.It''s just some aren''t going to gt stressed out about pre-season friendlies.

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]I have to say that reading many of the posts on here for some time now it slightly amazes me just how much blind optimism there is by so many of you for our chances next season.
Now I don''t like to be negative but at the present time, unless some more quality signings are made, I have a bad feeling about next season. I just don''t see that we have moved on much from last season. Yes, we finished 12th but that was  only 5 points above the relegation zone. If the season had gone for much longer we probably would have faced the drop.
Here''s hoping that Hughton  can pull some quality signings out of the bag that are going  to  make a big difference to the quality of our starting 11.
[/quote]

But the question is, have we gone backwards? Lambert going is a massive blow but did he really care around March onwards? I''d suggest he didn''t.

From what I''ve seen on here, the optimism seems to be based on found arguments. It''s the negativity which is blind! People just wanting Norwich to fail because moaning and fretting appear to be Norvicinian hobbies

[quote user="mrs miggins"]we finished 12th because we deserved to finish 12th and that was a great achievement. please do not make that a negative thing as well.[/quote]It was indeed a fantastic achievement I''m not knocking it just stating what I felt in that we would quite likely have gone down if the season had gone on for longer.I said at the  end of last season that I felt that  we would need half a dozen quality, new players who would be better than what we currently have if we were to avoid a big struggle this season. I feel that so far we have not  made those signing''s and that''s why I am worried. Hence my negativity.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]I have to say that reading many of the posts on here for some time now it slightly amazes me just how much blind optimism there is by so many of you for our chances next season.Now I don''t like to be negative but at the present time, unless some more quality signings are made, I have a bad feeling about next season. I just don''t see that we have moved on much from last season. Yes, we finished 12th but that was  only 5 points above the relegation zone. If the season had gone for much longer we probably would have faced the drop.Here''s hoping that Hughton  can pull some quality signings out of the bag that are going  to  make a big difference to the quality of our starting 11.[/quote]

But the question is, have we gone backwards? Lambert going is a massive blow but did he really care around March onwards? I''d suggest he didn''t.

From what I''ve seen on here, the optimism seems to be based on found arguments. It''s the negativity which is blind! People just wanting Norwich to fail because moaning and fretting appear to be Norvicinian hobbies

[/quote]Of course he cared. He would not have wanted us to get relegated as this would have looked bad on his CV.

I wonder if Newcastle fans were worried, underwhelmed, concerned, etc, this time last season due to unfancied manager, uninspiring signings, so-so pre season form?

...just a thought.

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]I have to say that reading many of the posts on here for some time now it slightly amazes me just how much blind optimism there is by so many of you for our chances next season.
Now I don''t like to be negative but at the present time, unless some more quality signings are made, I have a bad feeling about next season. I just don''t see that we have moved on much from last season. Yes, we finished 12th but that was  only 5 points above the relegation zone. If the season had gone for much longer we probably would have faced the drop.
Here''s hoping that Hughton  can pull some quality signings out of the bag that are going  to  make a big difference to the quality of our starting 11.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Of course he cared. He would not have wanted us to get relegated as this would have looked bad on his CV.
[/quote]

And Hughton does? Anyway, I still stand by my opinion that we nosedived around the time of the Leicester game and Lambert''s usual passion and tactical nous surprisingly dried up

[quote user="lake district canary"]

No one is being blindly optimistic - not even me - what alot of us are saying is that to take the pre-season games as an indication of what will happen during the season, is just wrong.    If we are not careful, we shall be "underwhelmed" "depressed" "worried" before a ball has been kicked in anger - because people are getting wound up about pre season!!  Its been shown time and time again that pre-season games are not a good indication.  The better the pre-season, often leads to false optimism (remember 2009 pre-season?).

Blind negativism is just as bad as blind optimism and the truth is that some where in between.   To me we have strengthened defence and midfield, still have the main attackers from last season (who scored plenty) and have a manager that is known to get the best out of his players.  Thats all. Its not blind optimism.    We should be more worried about blind negativism...........................

[/quote]I am wound up because I wanted us to push on and spend more money and make better signings this summer and to also off load the dead wood (Lappin, Barnett, Ward,). Why the hell is Chris Martin back  in the frame? It''s as if we can''t afford a new striker so we have  got him back instead. I''m not knocking Hughton. It is  the board and their lack of ambition I  am angry about. We should be speculating to accumulate.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]I wonder if Newcastle fans were worried, underwhelmed, concerned, etc, this time last season due to unfancied manager, uninspiring signings, so-so pre season form?

...just a thought.[/quote]Least they brought in a half decent striker to help out.

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

I am wound up because I wanted us to push on and spend more money and make better signings this summer and to also off load the dead wood (Lappin, Barnett, Ward,). Why the hell is Chris Martin back  in the frame? It''s as if we can''t afford a new striker so we have  got him back instead.
I''m not knocking Hughton. It is  the board and their lack of ambition I  am angry about. We should be speculating to accumulate.
[/quote]

Angry??   How can you be angry when we are a successful club, have money to spend - when the right players are available - and that we are in the midst of one of the best spells in our club''s history and that we have brought in players to strengthen the squad.   I have to question whether your "expectations" are just too high.    The club have to develop steadily, we aren''t so rich that we can splash the cash for all and sundry.   Don''t forget it is only four years ago that we were on a downward spiral and in danger of administration.  Be patient, pre-season is not a guide to what will happen in the season - the money is still there.      Anger? save that for when we''re struggling.  

I am expecting a tough struggle but anyone who thinks we will be signing new players before the start of the season is living in fantasy land.We have done our business and will go with what we''ve got.I expect a point at Fulham next Saturday, probably 0-0, but don''t worry there are at least 5 teams who will finish below us this season.

Half way though the season they did in Ciise...Ba was always a risk, but it came out well. West ham fans said he couldn''t trap a bag of sand.

I do not necessarily agree we need extra quality players. I think we can continue to hold our own with the existing squad. Lambert relied on teamwork coupled with young keen players with potential and he was a great motivator always prepared to take a chance to win.

Hughton is clearly more defensive minded, probably being concerned that he does not want to start off with a few defeats. It looks as if he is employing two strict lines of four midfield and defence. What concerns me is that the wider players appear to be told to keep it tight with no real freedom to move forward. Howson, particularly against Ajax, made very few forays forward. To date we have had little of the ball against the classier continental sides with the support to Holt virtually non-existent. Vaughan and Jackson seem to have played as well as anyone and surely one of them is needed to supply some width and space.

It is early days and the matches are "pre-season" but several players, compared with last season, have barely made a start. I am concerned but hope I have got it all wrong.

I hope none of us wish for City to fail this season. But, in my opinion, I''m not convinced that we''ve moved forwards over the close season in terms of signings.  It would be another fantastic achievement should we manage another season in the PL. But to achieve this I think it''s essential that we have pace up front to support Holt. It was also disappointing that Vaughan didn''t feature today. Potentially, he offers some of the pace that I think we need. I do hope he''s not loaned out this season, especially if a proven striker does not come our way. The league looks relatively stonger this season - we need to improve considerably to maintain our premier league status. This time next week we''ll have some real football to talk about!

"Yes, we finished 12th but that was only 5 points above the relegation zone. If the season had gone for much longer we probably would have faced the drop."

What a load of old bollox

It was 11 points above the relegation zone. Something that would have required one of the relegated clubs to win four games in a row - a third of the season toal (38 games) in 4 games whilst we picked up absolutely no points at all.

But we had all this old twaddle last season when the whingers and whiners were bleating on about lack of Premier League experienced players would see us relegated (we were not), where we would be ''found out'' in the second half of the season and struggle (we actually picked up MORE points in the 2nd half). There was even the wailing and shirt rending about us not having any money to sign, nor would we sign players in January (we digned two excellent players).

But then, these are desperate times for the whingers and whiners The club is probably in the healthiest position it has been in it''s history both on and off the pitch. We have a strong, determined board running things and a superb fan base. It is those attributes that will continue to drive us forward. We also have two space places in the squad which suggests more additions.

If there is any blindness it is in the desperation to attack both the club and it''s fans on here that last seasons league table cannot be read. Says much about the OP.

I wouldn''t consider myself blindly optimistic about the new season, just realistic.

Pre season has told us nothing really, like it usually does, and I will let the manager have the dozen games he needs with the squad before I feel I can properly comment on his performance and decisions. I know what your going to say, " by that point its too late!", but what does it matter, all of our opinions on here mean jack sh#t at the end of the day so you can only really comment on Hughton once he has had sufficient time for his tactics and signings to either work or not work.

It was a tough league last year, it is arguably tougher this year, but certainly no easier. The only thing I know for certain is that last year this squad with now minor changes achieved 12th place, until I see something actually tangibly alarming that makes me think we are going to achieve less than 17th, which is the goal, lets not kid ourselves, then why bother getting worked up about it when none of us know what''s going to happen.

Personally I would like to see more signings on what we have, but I don''t think a lack of them suddenly heralds relegation.

In particular how can you blame the board? The board have come out and said our budget is the biggest ever, now no matter what the tabloids might say, Chairman and CEOs of companies lying about such things is never a good idea. All it really means is we haven''t spent it all yet, which quite frankly until Hughton knows what he really wants out of this squad I wouldn''t want him spanking all our money! I would expect a hefty amount (like last year) is being saved for January to help us over the line rather than gambling all on the turn of our cards in this summer window.

[quote user="ricardo"]I am expecting a tough struggle but anyone who thinks we will be signing new players before the start of the season is living in fantasy land.We have done our business and will go with what we''ve got.I expect a point at Fulham next Saturday, probably 0-0, but don''t worry there are at least 5 teams who will finish below us this season.[/quote]Who are those 5 & what are the reasons you think they will finish below us?

" but anyone who thinks we will be signing new players before the start of the season is living in fantasy land"

so why loan out Paeyalla ? Why ''sell'' Crofts and so only have a 23 man senior squad ?

There are still changes to come

Blind optimism is indeed staggering, but so is the opposite - and scraping the barrel by backing it up with incorrect facts makes it moreso. City1st is dead right in almost every point above.

At the end of the day we hopefully all want us to do well next season but I guess we are seeing the difference here between those who are glass half full types and those who most definitely aren''t.

Head says ''wait and see.''

Heart says ''we''re in trouble.'' Signings other than Turner unproven at this level when more PL experience coming in was needed. No Naughton, our best defender and POTS contender IMO last season. And most of all a ''nice'' manager who prima donna footballers will say they like because he is safe. Lambert was a figure of fear to his players, he wasn''t overawed by any of them and they towed the line or else.

But lets wait and see. I so want my fears to be totally misplaced.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]The season we walked league one? Deaf, dumb, as well as blind i assume LDC?

[quote user="jossacklandsspunkybackpack"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]The season we walked league one? Deaf, dumb, as well as blind i assume LDC?[/quote]Without wanting to speak for the tiresomely optimistic LDC, he does have a point.  Pre-season we beat Wigan and drew with Man Utd (reserves).  Then the season started, fans full of optimism, with a home game against unfancied Colchester United who we were sure to beat...

i remember us 20 odd years ago having a pre season flop only scraping draws on a tour of the west country (Exeter/Yeovil/non-leaguers?)...average, uninspiring signings in people like David Philips & alike.

...I think that was the season we came either 3rd or 5th.