Sign in to follow this  
S10 Canary

Hughton's Wording on SSN re Transfer Activity.

Interesting to hear Chris Hughton explaining how hard people are working behind the scenes on the transfer front. He also noted that being the second season, they are looking targetting players of a higher level as competition for places. Coupled with that point, he covered himself by saying no disrespect to what we''ve already got.

Quite interesting comments that suggest a shift from a week or so ago and firms up the thinking that we''ve got irons in fires. Could be very exciting going into the last few days of the window.

I don''t know why Hughton''s been doubted so much, he did excellently at Newcastle before getting sacked for no apparent reason. Getting Brum into last seasons play-offs was nothing short of a minor miracle with the constraints and embargo he had to work with in.

I have every faith he''ll do a solid job with us, as i''ve said previously i''ll be stunned if we finish as high as last season but I don''t see us getting relegated under him either. 

Well its nice to know Hughton is thinking the right way (in my opinion). There is no point just buying anyone, we need to improve. We could probably find plenty of affordable players who could be back up, but we should be buying players who are capable of pushing our best players our of the team.

One of the few reasons I believe we haven''t spent a huge amount of our budget yet.

[quote user="Lambo"]

I don''t know why Hughton''s been doubted so much, he did excellently at Newcastle before getting sacked for no apparent reason. Getting Brum into last seasons play-offs was nothing short of a minor miracle with the constraints and embargo he had to work with in.

I have every faith he''ll do a solid job with us, as i''ve said previously i''ll be stunned if we finish as high as last season but I don''t see us getting relegated under him either. 

[/quote]

I would assume because he''s not Lambert. It''s called Fraser Forster Syndrome

Fair point... and going off the fact Ruddy is probably going to make his England debut this week i''d suggest the moaning fans here bare that comparison in mind!

I''m not doubting him at all. I''ve been banging the Hughton drum very loudly since he walked in. I thought his words on Sky today hinted that things were moving on the transfer front.

A director says we have the ''highest amount'' available for football/transfers etc

Players have left leaving two spaces available

and now comes the startling deduction that we may be looking to bring in more players ............ who would have thought that ?

Sorry, wasn''t aiming my posts at yourself fella! Was backhandedly agreeing with you haha.

Every point actually, given how much wailing and whining there has been on here regarding transfers

The evidence has been clear from the start, so to promote the idea that something has changed is what is really pointless

I guess I do get what you''re saying. His interview today gave the impression that things were moving on though. I figured it might be of interest to those feeling that we''re not going to make any more signings.

[quote user="Lambo"]Sorry, wasn''t aiming my posts at yourself fella! Was backhandedly agreeing with you haha.[/quote]

Lol, no worries! I did kind of get that. Just wanted to clarify my position!

Not many have ever slated Hughton, nearly everyone has been positive, but Pre Season has been a challenge, even Hughton has comments in the press on that!

I agree that buying to bolster the squad is something I have said for month''s isn''t what we need, but we needed player to push the starting 11! This is not going to be cheap!

I wait to see what come in, but I wouldn''t be supprised if there isn''t a couple loans in there now that most of the big guns know who they are happy to let out on loan!

I always hear people in football talk about how results in pre-season aren''t important. I think it''s obviously better to win than lose. But, if we were trying to win every game we''d play our best 11 for the majority of the games. Instead we''ve been almost rolling with to 2 squads rotating in the games. I think CH has been trying to give everyone a chance which in turn will boost competition for places and desire to work hard among the players.I think if there are any issues its been that we''ve not been clinical enough in front of goal. Hopefully with a firm starting 11 that will change.

Hughton has been pretty honest from the start.

He brought in players to replace those that had gone - and said things to this effect at the time. Turner for Whitbread, Whittiker for Naughton/Drury.

Snodgrass for Crofts was a direct and clinical move to improve the squad. Butterfield has been brought in as he is young, can play either wings or upfront, behind the main striker. I would say mainly to add competition to the likes of Surman, Bennett, Hoolahan and Pilkington.

I think he knows where we are weak otherwise. I wouldn''t be surprised if he still moves for Curtis Davies. Another striker is probably a must too as well as a left back.

Otherwise I think we have a pretty nifty squad. Midfield has strength, depth and options - which should only help the defence if we can hold onto the ball for longer periods of play this season.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

I would assume because he''s not Lambert. It''s called Fraser Forster Syndrome

[/quote]
Excellent comparison. 

He seems to be talking in the plural about transfers in:

“We’re working very hard on that front. I think the fact that it is our second season in the Premier League, it does get tougher – certainly if you try and bring in players that are going to be competitive for us. But we are working very, very hard on that behind the scenes. What’s more important is more competition in the squad, so we are working very hard on ins, not outs."

"Snodgrass for Crofts was a direct and clinical move to improve the squad. Butterfield has been brought in as he is young, can play either wings or upfront, behind the main striker"

These were lined up BEFORE Hughton joined us, as I suspect Whittaker was

I suspect other as far more hands on in transfer dealings than just Hughton. What he will have done is indentified who he feels is no longer needed and possible replacements, with the defence being the priority ie Drury, Naughton, Whitbread and Ayala going out and Whittaker and Turner coming in. I would expect at least one more in and out there.

[quote user="City1st"]

"Snodgrass for Crofts was a direct and clinical move to improve the squad. Butterfield has been brought in as he is young, can play either wings or upfront, behind the main striker"

These were lined up BEFORE Hughton joined us, as I suspect Whittaker was

I suspect other as far more hands on in transfer dealings than just Hughton. What he will have done is indentified who he feels is no longer needed and possible replacements, with the defence being the priority ie Drury, Naughton, Whitbread and Ayala going out and Whittaker and Turner coming in. I would expect at least one more in and out there.

[/quote]By who exactly? Lambert?

Yes, just in case the season continued and we were then relegated - we were only 5 points off relegation at that stage

[quote user="Indy"]

Not many have ever slated Hughton, nearly everyone has been positive, but Pre Season has been a challenge, even Hughton has comments in the press on that!

I agree that buying to bolster the squad is something I have said for month''s isn''t what we need, but we needed player to push the starting 11! This is not going to be cheap!

I wait to see what come in, but I wouldn''t be supprised if there isn''t a couple loans in there now that most of the big guns know who they are happy to let out on loan!

[/quote]
Why so many exclamation marks?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]He seems to be talking in the plural about transfers in:

“We’re working very hard on that front. I think the fact that it is our second season in the Premier League, it does get tougher – certainly if you try and bring in players that are going to be competitive for us. But we are working very, very hard on that behind the scenes. What’s more important is more competition in the squad, so we are working very hard on ins, not outs."

[/quote]

A single straw in the wind suggests a year-long loan deal is one of the potential transfers being worked on.