Sign in to follow this  
beccacity

wes hoollahan

Firstly I would like to say that I absolutely love Wes,  ( I even persuaded my boy to name his guinea pig after him), but... 4.5 million that''s just ridiculous money for him!! Which is why I would say it''s a load of Bollox personally.

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="kick it off"][quote user="beccacity"]have a look on twitter mate type in agent ncp he gets a lot right[/quote]
Name them. Name what he has got right that hasn''t been commonly known to anyone who reads the paper. He gets all his info from the media, he doesn''t have any sources, and he adds his own bull5hit like this into the mix. I bet you £200 Hoolahan does not go to Villa for 4.5million.... wanna take that bet?
[/quote]Last thing he said was Aroune Kone is having a medical at Wigan so we''ll have to see if that happens or not, and that''s not been in any papers or rumour sites as far as I am aware. Like I said, he hasn''t got anything wrong yet[/quote]
As I said, he just repeats media crap, I''ve just looked thru his timeline for the last week, and he has said nothing that''s not been in the papers and contradicted himself a few times saying Sahin has said he wants to join Arsenal, and then said Sahin will be joining Liverpool, you can bet only one of those will be pictured and put back up on his twitter if it comes off. If you throw enough crap at the wall it will stick.

and when what he''s made up doesn''t happen he says "Deal fell through" or "Im hearing XXXX have dropped their interest in XXXX" and everyone eats it up like it''s true.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="ellis206"][quote user="kick it off"][quote user="beccacity"]have a look on twitter mate type in agent ncp he gets a lot right[/quote]
Name them. Name what he has got right that hasn''t been commonly known to anyone who reads the paper. He gets all his info from the media, he doesn''t have any sources, and he adds his own bull5hit like this into the mix. I bet you £200 Hoolahan does not go to Villa for 4.5million.... wanna take that bet?
[/quote]Last thing he said was Aroune Kone is having a medical at Wigan so we''ll have to see if that happens or not, and that''s not been in any papers or rumour sites as far as I am aware. Like I said, he hasn''t got anything wrong yet[/quote]
[/quote]
And in addition to that, Wigan fan sites have been reporting the medical at least 4 or 5 hours before NCP did, and they were talking about a bid having been made 5 days ago. Plus the Daily Mirror reported on August 2nd that Wigan were after Kone.

Came back on here after a long day at work and I must say it''s good to see that Bor Bor Bor is firmly in the minority. Save your ''opinions'' for Canary Call granddad.

According to someone on the rumours website (which I know can have a load of bollox on it) a "drunken" Wes told him Saturday night that he is off to Sunderland in the next couple of weeks.

I hope none of the rumours regarding him leaving are true!!

[quote user="mighty yellow"]Came back on here after a long day at work and I must say it''s good to see that Bor Bor Bor is firmly in the minority. Save your ''opinions'' for Canary Call granddad.[/quote]

You sound obnoxious.

Surplus to requirements here, at 30 anything near 4 million would be a fantastic deal for city!

Sadly I think Wes will still be here warming the bench as a bit part player this coming season!

I think he will find it difficult to get in above Butterfield, Howeson, Snodder, Pilkington, Johnson and Surman.

[quote user="Indy"] 

I think he will find it difficult to get in above Butterfield, Howeson, Snodder, Pilkington, Johnson and Surman.

[/quote]Snodgrass and Butterfield have yet to play one minute of competitive football for us and he is twice the footballer Johnson is. Pilks and Howson have the potential to be top class but as much as I personally rate Surman he doesn''t excite me like Wes does. I''ll be upset if he leaves although obviously £4.5million would help me get over it!

Why do you think our current most proven PL creative midfielder with 7 assists (86% pass completion) last year in the PL is surplus to requirements?

Butterfield although a great prospect is unproven at this level and only in light training with no match fitness. Don''t think he has replaced Wes yet.

Howson looks a fantastic player but he seems to be playing more and more in the holding role, distributing the ball from the back.

Johnson plays an entirely different midfield role to Hoolahan.

Snodders and Pilkington (And Bennett) can both play central but both are really wingers and if you were just deciding on that AM role I would choose Wes.

I like Surman but I personally think Wes is more creative and again Surman doesn''t really play that linking role.

There is also no reason why Wes couldn''t play in a midfield with any of the above, especially if we favour a 451/4411.

I think 4 million is a lot of money and it would definitely need consideration, but I honestly can''t understand the writing off of Wes as surplus, his contribution is massive. Also if a manager like MON was seriously considering spending that much money on him with the attacking options he already has, that''s a ringing endorsement to hold on to him imo.

Hey note!

Johnson will be on the team sheet as he is the spoiler ball winning midfielder.

Howson is the best midfileder we have and agin a cert on the team sheet

Bennett, Snodders, Pilkington and Surman will be used on the flanks, in either a tight diamond, or midfield 5.

Wes cannot play on the wing as proved, he just drifts out of the game on the wing, as so needs to be played in a 5 man midfield at the sharp end.

Fox will be a in out player alongside Johnson or replacement for.

Butterfield, Pilkington and Snodgrass can all play just behind the front two.

So on paper and the players we have I don''t see where Wes will fit appart from an impact player from the bench!

Regardless 4 million for a 30 year old bit part PL player is a no brainer for me! But I don''t think it will happen.

Johnson will be on the team sheet as he is the spoiler ball winning midfielder. - What every game? He didn''t play a quarter of the games last year, you don''t always need him depending on tactics.

Howson is the best midfileder we have and agin a cert on the team sheet. - He is the best player imo as well but no player should be a cert for the team sheet what happens if he has a drop in form?

Wes cannot play on the wing as proved, he just drifts out of the game on the wing, as so needs to be played in a 5 man midfield at the sharp end. - People always state this like fact, he played there last year as well as in central midfield, its not his best position but he can play there and play well in winning teams.

Fox will be a in out player alongside Johnson or replacement for. - Maybe he will, I think Howson has taken his role though personally, but that''s what happened last year so acknowledge Wes''s contribution.

Butterfield, Pilkington and Snodgrass can all play just behind the front two. - Yep but none have them have proven they can do it better then Wes in the PL, Wes is still our best AM.

So on paper and the players we have I don''t see where Wes will fit appart from an impact player from the bench! - Only 3 players started more games than Wes last year, One was in Goal, Ones gone back to Tottenham and the other Martin had to cover CB and RB gaps.

Only one player played more games than him, his name is Grant Holt. Your suggesting Wes is a now bit part player with nothing but your own opinions of him and others to back it up. Wes was a major part of our success last year, people who seem to now want him gone or out of the side seem incapable of acknowledging that fact or what it means.

I''m not arguing with you Morty, but stating that I don''t think Wes will have that much to play this year!

I believe if we play a flat 4-4-2 Wes won''t feature at all!

Just don''t think he''s as good as some apear to rate, how many times was Wes a sub and how many times did he get subbed? I seam to remember a number of games when we were chasing the result in the second half and Wes was the subsituted player a number of times, might be wrong!

Wes was my player of the year last season.  Always puts in an excellent shift when he starts games, and invariably changes the game when he comes on as a sub.  IMO Snodgrass, Butterfield etc. will have to earn the right to replace Hoolahan in our team - though I agree that we''ll see less of him if we play a 4-4-2.  In a 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, diamond or (maybe) 4-4-1-1 Wes would certainly be in my first 11.

It certainly reflects well on our attacking midfield options that we''re even having this discussion in the first place!  I''m sure all of them will spend some time on the bench this season, but that''s what having a squad is all about...

[quote user="Al Catraz"][quote user="mighty yellow"]Came back on here after a long day at work and I must say it''s good to see that Bor Bor Bor is firmly in the minority. Save your ''opinions'' for Canary Call granddad.[/quote]

You sound obnoxious.[/quote]

I guess I am a bit. The granddad call was a bit harsh so I''ll take that back, the guy''s a quiche though.

I''m going to rise above your insults because throwing insults merely shows a defeated argument.  However, it''s clear you know nothing about professional football.

All I will say is to those people who think that Hoolahan works hard in midfield - have a look at who gives the ball away, and then have a look at how hard Hoolahan works to win it back.

Hoolahan loses it - 50% of the time - Hoolahan makes 100% effort to win the ball back

Other midfielder loses the ball - 50% of the time - Hoolahan makes 10% effort at best. 

We can''t have that selective effort in a Premier League quality midfield, I''m afraid.

"However, it''s clear you know nothing about professional football.

All I will say is to those people who think that Hoolahan works hard in midfield - have a look at who gives the ball away, and then have a look at how hard Hoolahan works to win it back.

Hoolahan loses it - 50% of the time - Hoolahan makes 100% effort to win the ball back

Other midfielder loses the ball - 50% of the time - Hoolahan makes 10% effort at best. 

We can''t have that selective effort in a Premier League quality midfield, I''m afraid."

Wow, what an insightful post. To think you followed your opening statement on people knowing nothing about professional football with such carefully worked out stats on Wes''s performance and effort levels is amazing.

Just for your information once again Wes''s pass completion last year was 86%, not really that of someone who loses the ball all the time, he was also, after Holt, the most fouled player in the team by some way, a sign of someone with a lot of time with the ball. The fact that he then successfully moved it on 86% of the time is a big part of the reason we kept possession and won games.

He also imo works hard without the ball, but when his job is to link play with the forwards I wouldn''t want him chasing around the pitch like a headless chicken when someone else loses the ball. When we get it back we would not have that link man then to move it on again.

He''s never going to win as many tackles and get the ball off the opposition as much as Johnson, but then its not his job, if you don''t realise that then look back at your opening statement.