Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Most unfairly derided City player?

[quote user="Jimmy Bone - Superstar"]

How about Mick McGuire?

Always thought he was a good all round midfielder who got unfair stick, possibly for his tendency for sideways passes.

Wasn''t Mick Channon supposed to have said he was one of the best he played with?  

[/quote]

Mick McGuire surely didn''t get that much stick??  He was always good value. Sideways passes?   These days he would do well in the Swansea team   (they might need him at this rate...)

Fair to say that Llewellyn and Henderson both got the sh*tty end of the stick.  I also used to sit near some dreadful old cackling witchy type women who used to call Erik Flugelstad "Flugelflump" for no apparent reason.

When I first started going to The Rud, I remember Kenton getting loads of grief when he was about 18/19. Thankfully turned it around and became a blinding player for us. Then went off to Southampton and dropped off the face of the universe.

I think Hughes got it bad propotionally simply because he was seen as a ''face'' of the Worthington regime and a lot of pent-up anger was directed at him on a matchday.

Most over-rated player ever was Lee Crofts. How he ever got POTS is completely beyond me.

Most forgettable player.....Dave Striker? Julien Brellier? OJ Koroma? Che Wilson?

You''re right Bor. Arrdee always liked to say it was he who originally put those words to the Los Bravos song. In fact I made him a memento of that and gave it to him the Christmas before he died.

Alan Black was the first player brought from the money we received for Ron Davies.

"My uncle certainly thought it was the case that the song was referring to Alan Black and Ron Davies but perhaps it was coincidence"

I think it was fortuetous coincidence as I''m sure it would not have been sung as Black is Black - the third word would have been changed

Coincidentaly that song came out at the same time as Sloop John B which appears to be the current in song and former City manager Norman Low tried to sign Davies when he was at Port Vale but the directors wouldn''t stump up the money and he went to Luton instead.

Do remember the shock and disappointment, if not anger when the news came out that Davies had been sold. A couple of blokes on my grandads allotment were talking about it that evening and the figure of £60,000 was said, something that has always stuck with me. A few other words were also said, as well.

I remember feeling embarrassed as a City fan when Rob Newman was booed by some of our ''''supporters'''' at Carrow Rd when his name was read out in the team intro and I could clearly see the effect it had on him at the time. I am proud to be a Norwich fan but some of the defamatory, libellous crap that is regularly written on here about players makes me cringe and we don''t have to go back that far to read the derisory comments about Holt, Morison,Ward and Chris Martin in particular. Some of the comments made on here recently about Chris Martin are extremely unfair, ffs he is trying his utmost to regain his place in our team, an attitude which should be applauded.....it''s all we can ask of our players isn''t it? Some of the posters on here gang together like school bullies on a playground and  like all cowards I hope that they will come undone at some point. Please support our team and criticise constructively about FOOTBALL not deride our players!

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

Most over-rated player ever was Lee Crofts. How he ever got POTS is completely beyond me.

[/quote]

Not that it really matters but who else was there? The only 3 players who had a decent season were Crofts, Clingan and Doherty and they were of course the top 3 for POTS. They were the only players who performed to a decent level and looked like they played for the shirt.

Very little between them.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"]

[/quote]

Not that it really matters but who else was there? The only 3 players who had a decent season were Crofts, Clingan and Doherty and they were of course the top 3 for POTS. They were the only players who performed to a decent level and looked like they played for the shirt.

Very little between them.

[/quote]

In hindsight, clearly the Doc should have got it.

Clingan is still, even to this day, one of the most over-rated players I''ve ever come across. Champuionship relegation fodder is his level.

I can still see him jogging into our penalty area as the Doc tries to make another last ditch block only to see the ball crash into our net...

Might seem hard to believe but prior to Mike Walker''s amazing first season Jerry Goss was regarded by nearly everyone as a waste of space. Indeed my mate had a theory that you could judge the quality of the city squad by how close Goss was to the starting line up - then it all changed.

Likewise Gunn and Bowen both had mare''s of first seasons and got a lot of stick.

From memory what did it for Dean Coney was that City were doing amazing that season despite having Rosario up front who must have had the worst chance to conversion rate of any striker in history. We badly needed a striker and everyone hoped the board would spend serious money. Instead we got Coney from QPR reserves who wasn''t a bad player but all the anger for Chase and the Board got directed at him when the season petered out (plus he missed a sitter v Ipswich in pre-season).

Ken Brown era was one for players getting targetted mainly because his selection policy often reeked of favouritism - Kenny Brown instead of Culverhouse for example. John Deehan and John Devine used to get it in the neck near the end of their city careers just because Brown would play them out of position rather than spend money

i have a memory of david cross receiving a lot of stick at some games. can''t remember if it was early in his city stay, because the fans certainly had no reason to give him grief later on.

[quote user="kingsway"]The stick the Doc got from many fans was quite ridiculous since he was for much of his time at the club one of our best players though like someone else said, there was also many who quite rightfully saw the Doc for quaility CB he was![/quote]

I have just thought of the winner. Our very own Darren Huckerby went through a rough patch where at Wolves away he was abused by a large following of Norwich supporters - can anyone else remember this ?

I agree that if a player always gives 100% they should get less stick, even if they were terrible. Doherty, Rob Newman and Daryl Sutch for example. It wasn''t their fault, but they tried bless them, like a fat kid running the 400 metres at sports day and finishing a minute behind the rest. You have to applaud them for the effort.

But they aren''t my answer. The most unfairly derided player for me is Grant Holt. At the start of last season fans and pundits alike were queuing up to say he wasn''t good enough for the Prem. They said he was overweight, out of his depth, incapable of rubbing shoulders with the best. A third player of the season award a mere nine months later, as well as a hatful of Premier League goals and a campaign to get him in the England squad showed the doubters exactly where they could stick it!

[quote user="Clint"]Clint Easton!
[/quote]

Can''t remember Clint being widely abused and he went on to have a glittering career at Ebbsfleet United [:D]

[quote user="kingsway"]The stick the Doc got from many fans was quite ridiculous since he was for much of his time at the club one of our best players though like someone else said, there was also many who quite rightfully saw the Doc for quaility CB he was![/quote]Unfairly derided, or did he find his level in the lower reaches of the Football League with the likes of Wycombe, Charlton, Luton and ourselves?He certainly had a high percentage of fans at White Hart Lane and Carrow Road who were very critical of him when playing at a higher level.

[quote user="Gaz_in_Oz"]I remember feeling embarrassed as a City fan when Rob Newman was booed by some of our ''''supporters'''' at Carrow Rd when his name was read out in the team intro and I could clearly see the effect it had on him at the time. I am proud to be a Norwich fan but some of the defamatory, libellous crap that is regularly written on here about players makes me cringe and we don''t have to go back that far to read the derisory comments about Holt, Morison,Ward and Chris Martin in particular. Some of the comments made on here recently about Chris Martin are extremely unfair, ffs he is trying his utmost to regain his place in our team, an attitude which should be applauded.....it''s all we can ask of our players isn''t it? Some of the posters on here gang together like school bullies on a playground and  like all cowards I hope that they will come undone at some point. Please support our team and criticise constructively about FOOTBALL not deride our players![/quote]Rob Newman is a very good shout. Picked up by Dave Stringer for £600k from Bristol City in 1991 he mostly played in a variety of positions (CB, CM and as a make shift striker) at the very top level for us (including FA Cup Semi Finals, UEFA Cup under Walker and Premier League).200 games 14 goals, I could think of many more who are more worthy of criticism, yet Newman got his fair share, probably from me included on occasion.  Rob was a very good servant to the club however.

[quote user="DanTheMan"]

Might seem hard to believe but prior to Mike Walker''s amazing first season Jerry Goss was regarded by nearly everyone as a waste of space. Indeed my mate had a theory that you could judge the quality of the city squad by how close Goss was to the starting line up - then it all changed.

Likewise Gunn and Bowen both had mare''s of first seasons and got a lot of stick.

From memory what did it for Dean Coney was that City were doing amazing that season despite having Rosario up front who must have had the worst chance to conversion rate of any striker in history. We badly needed a striker and everyone hoped the board would spend serious money. Instead we got Coney from QPR reserves who wasn''t a bad player but all the anger for Chase and the Board got directed at him when the season petered out (plus he missed a sitter v Ipswich in pre-season).

Ken Brown era was one for players getting targetted mainly because his selection policy often reeked of favouritism - Kenny Brown instead of Culverhouse for example. John Deehan and John Devine used to get it in the neck near the end of their city careers just because Brown would play them out of position rather than spend money

[/quote]I too remember Goss, Rosario and Kenny Brown getting stick.  Coney made Rosario look like a world beater!