Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Most unfairly derided City player?

A player who at the time was unpopular with the fans, but with hindsight we might have been more than a little unkind to?I was going to say The Doc, but he won POTS so probably isn''t a great choice.  My memory isn''t great or particularly long, but the abuse Gary Holt got in the Prem season was pretty awful - particularly when it turned out he was ill (I think?)Reminds me of Iwan''s first season when he looked so-so at best, then revealed he''d been playing with a broken toe.  The rest is legendary. 

I personally don''t remember any Gary Holt abuse, I thought everyone loved him.

Ward is in with a shout. And Andy Hughes, poor guy.

[quote user="Wiz"]And Jamie Cureton got a rough ride too.[/quote]

In hindsight was that wrong?

I would say for me without a shadow of doubt it was Dickson Etuhu.

Kevin Bond springs to mind. The nepotism factor playing a part. But his post-Norwich career suggested he had been in on merit.

Ah good old Jamie lad hey Wiz? You could surely also include Delia for all the crap Wiz spouts about her!!

[quote user="Wiz"]And Jamie Cureton got a rough ride too.[/quote]That wasn''t unfair though, was it?  His strike rate was dreadful for us.

you should maybe try starting the opposite as well " most over rated by home fans"

either way, Im guilty as any for slagging off the monthly scape goat... I would say Doc or Morrison but then they deserve it.Ward, maybe although im starting to go towards the "I''ll give him a lift out of Norwich myself" clubIll go for one of the Martins.Rus Martin got flack when he first joined although like others it turned out he was not well when he played.Chris Martin, sometimes I really feel people can not actually see what he brings the team ( flip side of the coin being I cant stand Morro and others rave about him so Marmite really ! )

Dean Coney. Not because he was a great player misunderstood, he simply took more abuse than was necessary for anyone to take. The point where ( As I seem to remember), the club asked the fans not to deride him when he came on made me feel rather ashamed. Mark Rivers stands out to me. Had pace, a bit of guile, could go past his man and on his day gave Chelsea the runaround. Hated by the sort of fans who would describe Wes as a ''luxury''. He gets my vote.

[quote user="Chrisr"]Dean Coney. Not because he was a great player misunderstood, he simply took more abuse than was necessary for anyone to take. The point where ( As I seem to remember), the club asked the fans not to deride him when he came on made me feel rather ashamed. Mark Rivers stands out to me. Had pace, a bit of guile, could go past his man and on his day gave Chelsea the runaround. Hated by the sort of fans who would describe Wes as a ''luxury''. He gets my vote. [/quote]Hahaha old Rivers, forgot him. He always seemed more concerned about how his brill cream dye job was holding up than the ball ! Still decent player on his day.

Back into the stone-age, does anybody remember Bill Punton. I was just a little one then but still recall the sleging he got because it was the first time I was experiencing such venom and also because my old father had it in for him too. They called him "Mary" for some reason. He went on to becoming an absolute star and won the whole support over. So long ahgo now.

The stick the Doc got from many fans was quite ridiculous since he was for much of his time at the club one of our best players though like someone else said, there was also many who quite rightfully saw the Doc for quaility CB he was!

I always thought Tim Sherwood was on the wrong end of a lot of unfair stuff, and went on to prove how good he was.

In the current side I don''t recall Ruddy actually getting abuse on the pitch, though he certainly did off it merely because he wasn''t Forster, but it has to be Ward - the guy hasnt really done that badly yet every mis-kick is scrutinised to death both at the time and on here afterwards.

["Branston Pickle"]I always thought Tim Sherwood was on the wrong end of a lot of unfair stuff, and went on to prove how good he was.

In the current side I don''t recall Ruddy actually getting abuse on the pitch, though he certainly did off it merely because he wasn''t Forster, but it has to be Ward - the guy hasnt really done that badly yet every mis-kick is scrutinised to death both at the time and on here afterwards.

Ward was quite unfairly hammered last season when in reality if you look at his games last season, take out the Liverpool home game when he was a disaster and you''ll see that he done well in most of his other games!

Apart from when Lambo took over I thought the Doc was pretty average to awful as a footballer but always gave his all and a decent intelligent bloke.

I well remember Bill Punton but he didn''t get overly criticised. Wingers always have been open to looking stupid at times. Bill was often described as ''the balding Punton'' in national press match reports!!

[quote user="kingsway"]The stick the Doc got from many fans was quite ridiculous since he was for much of his time at the club one of our best players though like someone else said, there was also many who quite rightfully saw the Doc for quaility CB he was![/quote]Oh Doc, with his trademark elbow drop MMA takedown in the box. And his tricky pass to the opponent striker through ball. Was one of my happiest days as a City fan when we saw the back of him !

The 2 previous posts are examples of the ignorance many people had over the Doc!

Many many more good games than poor one, still lets not get in the way of a great scapegoat myth!

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="kingsway"]The stick the Doc got from many fans was quite ridiculous since he was for much of his time at the club one of our best players though like someone else said, there was also many who quite rightfully saw the Doc for quaility CB he was![/quote]Oh Doc, with his trademark elbow drop MMA takedown in the box. And his tricky pass to the opponent striker through ball. Was one of my happiest days as a City fan when we saw the back of him ![/quote]

funny that when he only ever gave away one penalty which was a wrong decision and actually i superbly time tackle, but don''t let facts get in your way.

Andy Hughes got abused big time which was unfair as he was actually a model professional and a decent right back, would of had him over otsemobor any day!!!

I''m not too sure any player really deserves the flack they get ..........

................ other than Damian Francis at Craven Cottage in 2005

[quote user="ellis206"] funny that when he only ever gave away one penalty which was a wrong decision and actually i superbly time tackle, but don''t let facts get in your way.

Andy Hughes got abused big time which was unfair as he was actually a model professional and a decent right back, would of had him over otsemobor any day!!![/quote]"a game"*edit

Right now - Ward.

Have to say though Jas - I don''t ever remember Llewelyn getting badly slated at the time, especially considering there were a whole ton of players ahead of him in that particular queue: Milligan, Forbes, Carey, Dalgleish Jnr, Coote, McGovern, Sutch . . . . . . .

Definately Kevin Bond - he couldn''t (seemingly) do anything right with some fans

Mind you, Andy Hughes runs a close second - unfairly in my book, as at least he looked like he was trying, not something you could say about every City player I have seen

Well Sherwood got unfairly critisised and I think Mark Rivers was run down unfairly too... From the current crop MORRISON... I don''t understand the criticism for a player who scored some vital goals last season.