Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Another goalie?

Perhaps this backs up the earlier suggestions (when Buckland was understood to be targetted) that Declan and Jed are about to be off to get first team experience somewhere in the Championship?

It would be great to have all 3 of the clubs current keepers playing first team football all season.

Or, perhaps it''s just the Daily Fail talking their usual rubbish!

Ben

Given that the lad has a long standing hip injury and is expected to be out for another month it seems to be a very strange story. Surelly if we wanted a GK to allow us to loan out Declan and/or Jed we''d want one who was fit now?

Apparently we''ve had a 500k bid rejected by Blackburn for keeper Mark Bunn.

Don''t know too much about him.

I''ve heard several rumours of bids for keepers. Or loan approaches. Seems Hughton doesn''t share the same belief that Lambert had in Rudd and Speer. I must admit I always thought we were slightly weak in keeper backup.

I''d also like to hear that we were at least in the hunt for a striker.

I''d be very surprised to bring in another keeper when we have Rudd and Steer available.

Mind you, if we get a decent back-up stopper on the cheap to allow the others out on loan, I wouldn''t complain too much. I guess we don''t know how "ready" Rudd and Steer are for playing regularly

"AJ" I''d be very surprised to bring in another keeper when we have Rudd and Steer available.

Mind you, if we get a decent back-up stopper on the cheap to allow the others out on loan, I wouldn''t complain too much. I guess we don''t know how "ready" Rudd and Steer are for playing regularly

But we now have reputedly the best goalkeeping coach in the country at the club, who recently worked with Butland and, do doubt, the manager will take his assessment into consideration.

If they feel the best thing for our future is to get another keeper, then so be it, but I would sincerely hope not.

If we had to play with Rudd or Steer all season due to a Ruddy injury, we''d probably be relegated, as we were when we played Marshall when Gunn was injured. Clearly we need experienced backup.

Nothing wrong with bringing in a cheap yet decent goalkeeper to cover Ruddy whilst sending both Steer and Rudd out on loan for first team experience. Both have been an enigma really. We all believe they''re both super talented but until they play regular competitive football I fear they may never truly develop to meet their reputations / our expectations. So yes, let''s send both young talented keepers out on season long loans (replicating Butlands rise to international football) and bring in a cheap and cheerful decent cover goalkeeper, which Mark Bunn is.But I equally echo other people here and agree that we need a high quality left back and a 10+ goal a season striker alongside this.

I don''t see the need for another keeper but understnad to develop Rudd, he needs games I understand that, so out on loan fine with recall clause, but surely a striker must be next priority, now the left back is sorted!

I certainly have mixed views on this.

Sure - the boys need first team experience to harden and sharpen them up but the flip side of that is do we honestly want to be spending £1/2M + on someone who has ....''a long standing hip injury''??. No idea whether the reported fee is accurate of course but it could certainly be better spent I''m sure.

My mind goes back to 2004-2005 when Worthy was obsessed with various aspects of the Premier League as he prepared for it that summer. Suddenly, never having had three first team keepers before we went out and signed two as back up to Green. The third was Ward who we splashed out £600k on. Neither he nor Gallagher played a single PL match for us that season so the money on the third keeper was a waste -  pure and simple.

Our priority remains as I''ve said for some months now - another decent striker. Ther are serious question marks against three of the five current incumbents so if we end the transfer window with only Holt and Morrison then I fear a long, barren spell for the goals scored column.