Sign in to follow this  
hazza9

Why the need for another GK??

Surely the situation regards to the Goalkeepers is to send either steer or rudd out on loan for a season or send one out for first part of season and then the other for the last past. A waste of transfer fee and wages in my opinion just to bring someone like bunn in as he wont be challenging ruddy for his number 1 jersey. would like to see a left back come in to challenge tierney for left back, a centre half who is going to improve the defence and a proven striker. What are peoples thoughts??

Obviously Hughton doesn''t think Steer and Rudd are either ready and/or good enough to step in if Ruddy gets injured or suspended.

Personally, I have been impressed by both of our young keepers but Hughton is no mug.  

Already a thread just a few posts down asking the same thing; http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2773265/ShowPost.aspx

Rudd and Steer are both great prospects, but I wouldn''t be pleased if we needed either in goal to cover a lengthy injury to Ruddy. Both are an unknown quantity and I wouldn''t like to find out by having one of them in goal in a crucial match - remember how a communication error between Rudd and De Laet led to WBA''s goal in a 1-0 defeat - yes it was an error by De Laet but I doubt it would have happened if Ruddy was in goal - just through his experience the situation would have been averted with a confident call.

We really need 3 keepers at the club, this is generally accepted to be the minimum in case of injuries/suspensions so bringing in Bunn allows one of Rudd or Steer to go on loan for the entire season - it would probably be hard to find a club that would be happy to take a keeper on loan with the risk he could be recalled at any moment - I doubt Norwich fans would have been happy with that when we were in League One or the Championship.

Bunn has played in the Premier League before and did well and he would add some competition to Ruddy (who must feel almost no pressure from Rudd or Steer for his position).

Finally Norwich have what is regarded as one of the best goal keeping coaches in England - if he feels Norwich should get a more expirenced back up then surely that is a good idea.

1 niggle to Ruddy or 1 of them & neither gets to play on loan.

This way we can send 1 out without having to recall them at a days notice to sit back on our bench. We could even send both out, no use them sat doing nothing.

Some people are never happy. Rudd and Steer need first team xp. A loan deal would do them the world of good and would proably happen as soon as we can get some cover in.Next thing we will have people moaning about transfer budgets and why we are only looking to spend 500k when we should be looking at >insert international keeper name< who we can get from some minnow in Spain for 5m

yeah thats got to be the reason but when they have been called upon they have looked comfortable and did very well. Even if ruddy did get injured and was out for a long time and hughton played steer or rudd and they didn''t hold there own i''m sure he could go and get someone in on an emergency loan deal.

Thanks for that AJ

[quote user="hazza9"]yeah thats got to be the reason but when they have been called upon they have looked comfortable and did very well. Even if ruddy did get injured and was out for a long time and hughton played steer or rudd and they didn''t hold there own i''m sure he could go and get someone in on an emergency loan deal. Thanks for that AJ[/quote]

An emergency loan would be impossible - the FA will only sanction it if the club has zero available keepers. To go to the FA and say ''we''ve got two keepers, but they aren''t good enough so can we have another'' would be thrown out straight away and Norwich would be stuck with two young keepers and a huge amount of pressure on both of them.

This obviously presents a further problem though as Bunn would count towards the 25 man squad limit whereas Rudd and Steer wouldn''t.