Sign in to follow this  
grinner

get rid of green

I was going to argue this point but I can''t be bothered it''s so laughable is it april 1st already I must have slept right through.

Have to agree with that Grinner  ,   a , so called , prospective England goalie  has been  letting real soft goals in al season !  I`m taking into account  our defence  HAS been exposing him to  more shots than necessary ,  even so I got to believe what I`m seeing  at the matches  , and , for my money , we have been watching  a below par goalkeeper !       trouble is .... all the prospective buyers   will draw the same conclusion !  ... so he`s got  whats left of this season  to  get his act together ....  the replays tell it all Greeno !!!!!!!!

fleming..."should i have jumped for that?"

holt..."nah,i was going to,but what the hell weve got a world class goalie behind us"

fleming..."thats o.k then...bugger its gone in! d''ya think anyone will notice it was our fault"

holt..."nah some tosser on the pinkun website will blame greeno"

fleming..."yer probably right [LAUGHS} they''re probably daft

enough to ask for his head and sold on for a pittance!"

You can defend Greeno, because of the quality of the defence in front of him, - one simple error and Premiership strikers do not miss.When did Greeno last save a penalty, however? In this situation he''s on his own.

Despite the title post being a ''slight'' over reaction- he has got a point. Even without our defensive frailties, since Christmas Green has had one of his worst spells in a City shirt. The arguements redundant anyway really because he will be going in the summer no doubt

Grinner your post shouldn''t be dignified with a response but i will anyway.  Green is probably the best player at this club.  We wouldn''t have got promoted without him last year and he''s been good this year.  Ok he makes a few mistakes but name a goalkeeper who doesn''t?

With the defence poor old Greeno''s got in front of him no wonder he''s conceeded so many goals.Yes he has made some mistakes  this season.....BUT thats nothing compared to the crap shooting by Hucks all season.Weigh that up,lots of easy missed chances or making the odd mistake in goal? Umm i cant see anyone slagging Hucks off! Can you imagine everytime someone is running at our defence how bloody nervous Greeno would be? Knife,defence & butter comes to mind! Greeno''s a great lad,a true profesional,his feet 100% firmly on the ground. To say he must go is mad  This time last year he was being linked with big money moves to Arsenal & co,& on  the frindge of Getting an England appearance with his fine performances,and now largely down to his team mates & the manager this has all gradually fallen apart! How the hell do you think he must feel now? as a parrot i would say! We all know how bad you feel if you let a team mate down,poor flaming Greeno has 10 of them constanly doing it every week!

Enough said!

Amazing the way that goalkeepers instantly come under the spotlight when they make mistakes, then look at strikers or outfield players. When they miss open goals or bugger up when they should score its soon forgotten. Look at Giggs, when he missed that sitter against arsenal in FA cup couple of seasons ago it could have changed the result totally, but no one remembers that anymore do they?? What about our strikers against West ham in the cup this season?? No one seems to be focusing on that. As soon as goalkeepers make the odd mistake they are instantly ridiculed.

Another thing to remember is that its greeno''s 1st season playing in the top flight and he''s coming up against top strikers week in week out, so obviously he needs to adapt and develop his game to the standard, just because he''s called up to England doesn''t make him a world beater and he''s still learning. Give him time guys as its partly thanks to him that we''ve got the little precious points that we''ve picked up on the road this season, despite THE LACK OF GOALS we''ve scored away.

[quote]Grinner your post shouldn''t be dignified with a response but i will anyway. Green is probably the best player at this club. We wouldn''t have got promoted without him last year and he''s been good thi...[/quote]

I hate to say this DD, but I must disagree with you, Greeno best player here?.

He''s woeful on crosses, and his throw outs are dangerous....to us that is. I also believe his kicking ain''t what it should be.

Sure, he''s a great shot stopper, but we''ve had far better keepers than him here before.

I think these boards are in danger of promoting him way above his actual performance.

Best player?, NIMO.

"We wouldn''t have got promoted without him last year and he''s been good this year.  Ok he makes a few mistakes but name a goalkeeper who doesn''t?"

Good point DD. Even Gianluigi Buffon undoubtably the best goalkeeper in the world right now makes mistakes, and bad ones too. As i said in my previous post, he needs time to develop and improve his game, and i think that being involved and training with the England national team will do that ( thats if he''s not being played left back in training matches!!)

Green has been an excellent goalkeeper for a number of years & doesn''t just ''lose it'' over the course of a few games.....however, it is universally acclaimied in football circles that if you play behind a rubbish defense for long enough, you will eventually become a rubbish goalkeeper.  He hasn''t yet but 9 more matches behind Fleming & he could be there!

Greeno is a fine young keeper with potential. However he needs to work hard at his command of the box and taking crosses/punching.  His confidence level has dropped not helped by the lack of quality at centre back (now helped by the introduction of Jason) and confidence for goalkeepers is of prime importance. 

However there is no point in signing a quality goalkeeper such as Gallacher who has been really good for the reserves and then give him no chance in the first team.  No one including Greeno should be guaranteed their place and Worthy needs to give Greeno a rest - he will be better for it.  As for transferring Greeno in the summer, we should only do the deal if the price is right, not at a bargain price that reflects his recent drop in form.

[quote]"We wouldn''t have got promoted without him last year and he''s been good this year. Ok he makes a few mistakes but name a goalkeeper who doesn''t?" Good point DD. Even Gianluigi Buffon undoubtably th...[/quote]

I would argue Petr Cech or Iker Cassilas are the best in the world at the moment.

Greeno''s top drawer, leave him alone. One of our few players who is actually good enough for this league and people want to knock him.... uh?

Yes Worthy, these 2 goalkeepers are very good but i don''t think they''re even in the same league as Gigi Buffon. But i suppose that being Italian, i''m subject to a biased view. I think that Casillas is good but he is unpredictable and often fails to hold on to the ball and spills or parrys it too much. Cech is better than Casillas and is a great shot stopper but the main reason why he''s kept so many clean sheets is because of the defence who have been solid all season. Buffon, on the other hand doesn''t have any obvious weaknesses and is superb at everything he does. He makes saves look easy that other goalkeepers would only dare to dream about making. I think he''s the best by miles, but hey, thats just my own opinion.

[quote]I would argue Petr Cech or Iker Cassilas are the best in the world at the moment. Greeno''s top drawer, leave him alone. One of our few players who is actually good enough for this league and people w...[/quote]

Green has as much potential as ANY keeper playing in england and like Green and any keeper would have a crisis of confidence playing behind our back four.  Green IS class and DD is right he is probably our best player (Hux only other candidate) and losing him will weaken our team. 

Cashing in on him to strengthen the side overall is another argument but if you are looking for a culprit for our goals against column one person it is not is Green.

As for Cassillas and Cech?  Well Cech looks solid behind a very good back 4 (defensive team?) but technically I am not YET convinced he is any better than an average keeper. Liverpool 2nd goal in the worthing cup final anyone? - top quality that!?   At Barce a couple of weaks ago he parried a ball back into box (instead of around the post) great save say the commentators as the rebound is skyed over the bar by Eto''o.  Dudek - commonly the worst keeper in europe on Merseyside eyes make a far better save in similar circs but the ball bounces to a dortmund player who buries it - and the press cries keeping howler from a liability in goal - where the truth - somewhere between the two methinks.

Casillas looks very average (Green over him every time for me) and I have to agree that Buffoon does look like the worlds best keeper  - makes less mistakes and more saves in the games I have seen and generally oozes confidence. 

OTBC