Sign in to follow this  
super canary

Southampton splashing BIG cash!

Honestly i would be worried about spending this level of money and if he has chosen them over someone like Spurs because they offered huge wages that says something about the player aswell.

[quote user="Cambridgeyellow"][quote user="ben86"]We do have it, we''re owned by billionaires, stop being butthurt and deal with it. We also have no debt and they paid off all owed money in full when we exited administration, which we only went into from building a new stadium.[/quote]

Take it you were not working for one of the local companies that were shafted then and had their businessess ruint - all at the expense of football. Football should be a game played between to sides not something that ruins peoples lives. I quite liked Southampton your comments have just changed that.[/quote]

None of them did, they were all paid in full, the only people we made a deal with was Norwich Union who cut about 4mill off the remaining mortgage on the stadium in return for having it paid outright. You are just butthurt and have no idea what you''re talking about.

He''s gonna be on 60k, so high but not outlandish, a fair price for a top international.

Great for you, the thing is how many years are your owners going to carry this on for? What are your finnances going to be like in 10, 20 years. My guess is in a mess and reliant on money being pumped in by billionaires, what happens when said money men have had enough, you face administration or get on your knees and bend over and wait till the next chancer wants to take a crack, its a cycle that is not sustainable.

It''s not sustainable but its needed in modern day football, its all about money and everybody knows it.

We are having good success at the moment without spending millions upon millions but do you really expect it to last when other teams are spending mad money around us? I don''t think I have seen a tougher Premier League than the one this season.

[quote user="G"]

We are having good success at the moment without spending millions upon millions but do you really expect it to last when other teams are spending mad money around us? I don''t think I have seen a tougher Premier League than the one this season.

[/quote]

Spending big is lazy and dangerous. There is cheap young talent out there if a club looks for it. The fact that high-spending clubs are lazy means that there is a bigger pool available to us.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="G"]

[/quote]

Spending big is lazy and dangerous. There is cheap young talent out there if a club looks for it. The fact that high-spending clubs are lazy means that there is a bigger pool available to us.

[/quote]That''s true when it is Joe Allen for £15m or Jordon Rhodes for £6m - but £12m for Gaston Ramirez is actually a bit of a bargain. He is one of the most talented young midfielders coming out of South America at the moment, doubt you could find anything better for less than that(without one hell of a scouting network, which we know Norwich doesn''t have right now).

^ That, wage wise I doubt our combined signings are notably more then Readings or West Hams, the only difference is we''ve gone for young quality rather then 30 year olds who will be worth bugger all in a year or two. Reading were rumoured to have given Pogrebnyak 65k a week, yet we sign a better player for less wages and everyone gets in a hissy fit just because he''s actually worth it.

Who cares what other clubs are doing?History says smaller clubs spending big and outside their budget usually ends in disaster. Many Southampton are just trying to emulate Portsmouth.[;)]

[quote user="super canary"]I agree splashing big cash can be risky, but for a newly promoted team this is quite a big statement of intent. Granted it hasnt said if the lad actually wants to go to Soton. Have Southampton had any recent investment?[/quote]

Exactly.  It''s a statement of intent.  What was our statement of intent?  Holding out on our captain and modern day hero over one extra year on his contract, and picking up injury prone lower league players on free transfers and haggled knock-down fees. One day the scales will fall from your eyes and you''ll see where the priorities of the board lie and why they need a sock puppet in the dugout.  Before long they will be found out and cast adrift, floating alone on their ship of fools, adrift on their cruel sea of lies.

I genuinely feel a bit sorry for Bor. It must be a pretty pathetic existence he leads if the highlight of his day is trolling on an Internet message board. Pop outside and get some fresh air fella, it''ll make you feel better.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I genuinely feel a bit sorry for Bor. It must be a pretty pathetic existence he leads if the highlight of his day is trolling on an Internet message board. Pop outside and get some fresh air fella, it''ll make you feel better.[/quote]

Sorry for caring.

Did we go dancing once?

[quote user="super canary"]I agree splashing big cash can be risky, but for a newly promoted team this is quite a big statement of intent. Granted it hasnt said if the lad actually wants to go to Soton. Have Southampton had any recent investment?[/quote]......yeah, all the small businesses that they owed money to last time they went into administration. they don''t seem to have learned, especially with neighbours pompey close to extinction.

[quote user="corporateyesman"]Who cares what other clubs are doing?

History says smaller clubs spending big and outside their budget usually ends in disaster.

[/quote]

Jesus H Christ.  Of course they are spending within their budget, otherwise they wouldn''t be spending.  Do you really think premier league clubs are run on "back of a fag packet" economic and financial plans?

You SHOULD be asking "why aren''t we, in our second season with another lump of TV money, competing with the likes of minnows Southampton?"  But that would require taking the blinkers off and asking some difficult questions that nobody has the cojones to raise.  Get me, small fry? 

You''ll all wake up one day and realise you''ve been screwed in every hole going.

Jesus H Christ! Give it a bleedin rest!

We all know exactly why we''re not spending £11m on transfer fees and £60k a week on wages and we''re all absolutely fine with it. We still want a club to support in 5 years.

Just leave it now, it''s getting really boring.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Jesus H Christ! Give it a bleedin rest! We all know exactly why we''re not spending £11m on transfer fees and £60k a week on wages and we''re all absolutely fine with it. We still want a club to support in 5 years. Just leave it now, it''s getting really boring.[/quote]

Think small, get smaller.  And nice to see you speak for "everyone".  Check your ego, there''s a good lad.  I appreciate your fondness for Guns ''n'' Roses, though to my mind it is more than slightly at odds with your small minded lack of ambition when it comes to your football club.  I suppose you would have settled for "G''n''R Lies" as the definitive follow-up as there was no point the band trying too hard to stretch themselves.  That means no November Rain.  Shame on you.

Do you suffer from short term memory loss or are you just a little dim?

You know full well we have no choice but to pay the debt back so stop trying to stir up a s**t storm like a stroppy little child and deal with it like the rest of the grown ups have, because you are wasting your time and ruining every thread you post on with you incessant blubbering.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Do you suffer from short term memory loss or are you just a little dim? You know full well we have no choice but to pay the debt back so stop trying to stir up a s**t storm like a stroppy little child and deal with it like the rest of the grown ups have, because you are wasting your time and ruining every thread you post on with you incessant blubbering.[/quote]

Because we''re the only club in debt, are we?

I''m wasting my time because none of you want to see the truth for what it is.  I''m "ruining every thread" because you all want to talk about how pink the world looks from behind your glasses.  Last time I checked, this was a discussion board and you don''t get to decide who does and doesn''t post.  Suck it up, sunshine.

We''re not the only club in debt, no. However we are the only club in the Premier League that was on the brink of administration in the 3rd Division 3 years ago and had to agree to some stipulations that seemed a million miles away at the time, in order to avoid it. The vast majority of Premier League debt is owed to the clubs owners and in all likelihood will never be repaid so it''s not a valid comparison anyway.

That cannot be changed can it, so unless you can come up with a viable alternative course of action, you''ll have to take your own advice and suck it up, sunshine.

Bor Bor Bor wrote

''Do you really think premier league clubs are run on "back of a fag packet" economic and financial plans?''

Looking back over the last ten years, quite possibly. It''s a shame we can''t act the big club like Leeds, Portsmouth, Rangers etc...

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]

Last time I checked, this was a discussion board .

[/quote]

Oh the irony.

What exactly have you contributed over the last few weeks that has been open for discussion and debate ? At every opportunity you have attacked the club from every angle possible covering all topics.Then not content with that you abuse and insult every poster who challenges you.I have tried to make out if apart from being an out and out troll you could be a Binner or if you are impersonating Cluck. If you are a Binner you have my deepest sympathy and if you are impersonating Cluck well all i can say is you have set your standards very low.

One thing i am sure of is that you are an absolute disgrace if and i repeat Norwich City have you as a fan.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Do you suffer from short term memory loss or are you just a little dim? You know full well we have no choice but to pay the debt back so stop trying to stir up a s**t storm like a stroppy little child and deal with it like the rest of the grown ups have, because you are wasting your time and ruining every thread you post on with you incessant blubbering.[/quote]

Because we''re the only club in debt, are we?

I''m wasting my time because none of you want to see the truth for what it is.  I''m "ruining every thread" because you all want to talk about how pink the world looks from behind your glasses.  Last time I checked, this was a discussion board and you don''t get to decide who does and doesn''t post.  Suck it up, sunshine.

[/quote]

I think we have to give Bor credit. He is correct on the part of his message I have highlighted. If we give him a little more leeway then he may have enough smarts ( barely, I suspect ) to come to the obvious conclusion of what he should do next.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Last time I checked, this was a discussion board .

[/quote]

Oh the irony.

What exactly have you contributed over the last few weeks that has been open for discussion and debate ? At every opportunity you have attacked the club from every angle possible covering all topics.Then not content with that you abuse and insult every poster who challenges you.I have tried to make out if apart from being an out and out troll you could be a Binner or if you are impersonating Cluck. If you are a Binner you have my deepest sympathy and if you are impersonating Cluck well all i can say is you have set your standards very low.

One thing i am sure of is that you are an absolute disgrace if and i repeat Norwich City have you as a fan.

[/quote]

Well said. Possibly "post of the day". Quite how anyone can find so much to moan at with our current situatio when 3 years ago we were in L1 with Gunn in charge and had just been pasted 7-1 at home I am not sure. Yes, we would like to have more cash to blow on better players but the simple fact is we don''t. We have spent (according to SSN) £5.5M on our 5 new signings so far which actually seems good business when you consider it includes a couple of internationals, 2 of the better players in the Champs last year and a decent experienced Prem defender. I would guess that as of now we have spent more than the likes of Fulham, WBA & Stoke - 3 teams who you would have to classify as established Prem teams.