Sign in to follow this  
Cobain18

cambridge radio

hi, ive been told that it''s possible to get radio norfolk in cambridge but i cant find it on the frequency any where, cos i really want to listen to away games. does any 1 know if this is possible and if so what channel it is. i already know what it is in norwich but i dont work here.

I can pick up the west Norfolk version when I go back to Peterborough spent many evenings as a teenager when I couldn''t get to games due to the public transport system (bloody railways) listening to Roy Waller being extremely bias and giving a completely false view of the game which was the way I liked it. Its a bit fuzzy at times but if you have good radio its perfectly audiable. Unfortunately I think Nottingham is stretching it a bit these days!

I was driving to Hertfordshire on the day we played Everton in the cup, listening to Radio Norfolk on 104.4 FM. I could still hear it reasonably clearly on the A505 between Royston & Baldock, and definitely heard it all the way along the A11 and A14.

Funny one this - on some very clear days i used to be able to get Radio Norfolk on 95.3 ish in North Kent.
But i''m in Cambridge too now and can get a very fuzzy version on 873 ish, a few down from Radio 5.

I can still get Radio Norfolk on MW here in North Kent though havent had any luck with FM. It depends on what radio you have and where you are, and atmospherics etc (without getting too technical). I find car radio''s are better, though some are better than others (not that Ive driven up and down the A2 listening to Norwich.. honestly... ok maybe I have).

There is a problem which hacks me off a bit, in that Radio Norfolk are now interupting their MW coverage with local scores. Imagine my disappointment when they dipped out of the Wimbledon coverage to tell me about North Walsham, only to link back with ''.. and I believe theres been a goal at the Hockey Stadium..'' and wait a few minutes for Uncle Roy to repeat himself. HOW ANNOYING.

I have Canaries World which obviously piggybacks off the FM service but if Im out or working I feel im missing out (bit like Formula One with the adverts). Saying that Ive just ordered Sky so will look forward to seeing games I cant get to that are covered. Now if someone will buy me an iPod I''ll pretty much have everything..

Where you then KC? Was working in Maidstone until last January so have had similar experiences with various radio bands and frequencies. Agreed that seems best in a car! I sat in mine just outside Faversham about 300 yards from the A2 listening to the play off victory v Wolves on FM. 95. something, give it a go the next sunny saturday we have!

Ipods eh, wanted one for a while too put can''t bring myself to spend that much on a fancy walkman. I am however contemplating the poorman''s equivalent...

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shopping/pages/buyhd500.html

Its annoying to hear all these far flung Radio Norfolk listeners because when I get in my car after work at 5 oclock at that distant outpost of the empire ATTLEBOROUGH, my car radio defaults to Radio Suffolk because the signal isnt strong enough! Trouble is I dont always notice immediately as the news stories are often the same, but then they start running on about the Binners and the horrible truth hits me.

Kathy, try turning off RDS on your car radio and then it wont seek to the strongest local frequency (ie the BBC signal). Would think youd be near enough to Tacolneston to get a good signal there!

A1, Im in Gravesend for my sins (must have done something wrong..). I get to matches when I can and have found quite a following down here also. It is annoying when local pubs wont show the Div 1 Sky matches though. Where I work is pretty good as most of us are Division 1 supporters (Sunderland, Millwall, Rotherham, and two Ip***** fans) so its a good mix. What theyll all do next year I dont know, we''ll be up a league by then.. ! Kent is nice the further south you go I think, though theres less chance of Radio Norfolk reception! Will definitely have to try the Faversham thing if Canaries World ever fails..! Got to be better than Sainsbury''s car park. Do you ''miss'' Maidstone? Cant beat East Anglia though, funny old place that it is..

The MP3 player looks ok, only £50 less than Apples baby though, and look at the styling differences! Without sounding really dull the iPod uses the AAC format (MPEG4) which is better quality than Mp3 and (I think) uses a bit less space. Nice the other thing has got a Radio in it as well though. You probably cant go too far wrong with it really..! Im an Apple nut so I know what Id recommend.. get along to John Lewis and try before you buy!. Ill shut up now.

Do i miss Maidstone? Errr, a little! Was working at the county council and surprisingly had a really good time there so i miss that a bit and i certainly miss the one and only nightclub worth going to in, well, all of Kent to be honest! That''s Club Class @ The Loft. But i don''t miss the legions of chavs and pikey''s that seem to roam the streets there in ever increasing numbers! Tracksuites, loopy earings, giant labelled sports wear and various burberry accessories! But i''m from Kent originally so i''ll always have a certain loyalty to it. I''d agree with your assertion that it get better the further south AND WEST you go! Have you ever been to Folkestone and Dover!!!