Sign in to follow this  
bigkev 1974

tierney or garrido

sorry if i have spelt these wrong but who do u think will now be our first left back?  i personaly think it will be shared depending on the right midfielder they would be against in each game ie if its a fast winger it will probs be tierney played?

Tierney has bags of potential, but you''d expect Garrido to be a solid signing with a lot of experience. Should be good competition for each other none the less!

Won''t be Garrido this weekend. If it is, it will certainly be interesting.

Think he will be out of the team completely against fulham, then start/come on beginning of the second half v QPR

Tierney. I watched Garrido play for Man City and he was poor at defending and slow. I wouldn''t be surprised if at times Garrido is played as a left midfielder.

Well, if Tierney starts like he did the beginning of last season, then he''s going to be very hard to displace. Garrido represents great quality and adds depth to the squad, Tierney will have to push himself as much as he dares to be in the starting line up consistently, that can only be a good thing. So, basically, whoever is performing better gets the start for me.

The way I saw it last season was : -

Tierney or Drury = Drury

Tierney or Naughton = Naughton

Now I haven''t seen Garrido play so can''t make a comparison but my gut feeling is : -

Tierney or Garrido = Garrido.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

I would expect Tierney to start the season''s opening fixtures and then Garrido to replace him once he''s settled in and done enough training sessions. 

[/quote]....spot on, my thoughts exactly. love tierney and his attributes but garido is a class up so should become first choice when fully integrated into the club.

If Garrido thinks he is going to start every game, then I''d rather he go back to Lazio.  We have had enough loan players in the past who think they have the right to start every game and dont put in a shift when required.  He has been brought in as competition for Tierney, he has bags of experience at the top level but neither player has the right the expect the start.  Work hard, train hard, perform when required, thats what we need from both.

[quote user="NCFCgardener"]If Garrido thinks he is going to start every game, then I''d rather he go back to Lazio.  We have had enough loan players in the past who think they have the right to start every game and dont put in a shift when required.  He has been brought in as competition for Tierney, he has bags of experience at the top level but neither player has the right the expect the start.  Work hard, train hard, perform when required, thats what we need from both.[/quote]

He''s not really a loan player though is he - with Norwich holding the option to make the deal permanent at the end of the season he is playing for a contract. This is a tactic QPR used well with a couple of players they brought in during January - if the worst happens and Norwich get relegated we don''t have his wages to pay anymore and whilst he''s here he''ll be working as hard as he can to make a good impression and secure a longer deal.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="NCFCgardener"]If Garrido thinks he is going to start every game, then I''d rather he go back to Lazio.  We have had enough loan players in the past who think they have the right to start every game and dont put in a shift when required.  He has been brought in as competition for Tierney, he has bags of experience at the top level but neither player has the right the expect the start.  Work hard, train hard, perform when required, thats what we need from both.[/quote]

He''s not really a loan player though is he - with Norwich holding the option to make the deal permanent at the end of the season he is playing for a contract. This is a tactic QPR used well with a couple of players they brought in during January - if the worst happens and Norwich get relegated we don''t have his wages to pay anymore and whilst he''s here he''ll be working as hard as he can to make a good impression and secure a longer deal.

[/quote]

1. yes he is a loan player. 

2.I''m not criticising the decision to take him on loan, I was responding to some of the comments on here stating that Garrido wouldnt come to sit on the bench.  If he has come thinking he will be first choice, then I dont think that mindset will fit with the rest of the squad. 

Spot on....i think that is exactly Hughton''s thinking. Having the noption to play both on the left is handy.

I think Garrido will be the first choice as his technical play/passing/positioning is better, however speed is king in this league and i doubt he is as fast as Tierney.

Will be interesting to see if either of them get an actual run in the side, or if they will be swapped out dependent on the opposition. Could be frustrating for both players.

[quote user="NCFCgardener"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

2.I''m not criticising the decision to take him on loan, I was responding to some of the comments on here stating that Garrido wouldnt come to sit on the bench.  If he has come thinking he will be first choice, then I dont think that mindset will fit with the rest of the squad. 

[/quote]

So you would rather that we sign a player who comes with the attitude that he''s going to be a back up? Does it not occur to you that competition is healthy and encouraged by Hughton? Any player worth his salt should believe in his ability to be number one in his position, otherwise I would seriously query why he was at the club.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="NCFCgardener"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you would rather that we sign a player who comes with the attitude that he''s going to be a back up? Does it not occur to you that competition is healthy and encouraged by Hughton? Any player worth his salt should believe in his ability to be number one in his position, otherwise I would seriously query why he was at the club.

[/quote]

Sigh... Try reading the post......as I said in the original post, "He has been brought in as competition for Tierney, he has bags of experience at the top level but neither player has the right the expect the start.  Work hard, train hard, perform when required, thats what we need from both".

I agree here to add competition for the left back position.

Garrido has not had that many games in the last 5 seasons. Around 20 in two seasons for Lazio and I think 49 in 3 seasons for Man City. So not a regular starter which is a concern.

So for me Tierney remains first choice, but will need to maintain his form.

OTBC

Well I''d like to see what Garrido does in a Norwich shirt first but obviously he hasn''t been at the clubs he has and played in the leagues he has for no reason. His CV is more impressive than Tierney''s.

I would say though that, in my opinion, Tierney isn''t great going forward. He rarely puts a quality delivery in the box and I think that could be something Hughton is looking for from Garrido.