Sign in to follow this  
barclay seats 4849

Ok....now tell us that the pre season doesn't matter!

So the posters on here ...you know who you are ! Who told the more worried of us that we didn''t know what we were talking about ,,, and that the pathetic pre season displays were of no importance ... are you going to apologise ? I think we took some unwarranted stick due to our concern .

I think after todays display we can see that we don''t have a functioning " team" on the pitch , and the starting line up was obviously flawed , I for one hope that we don''t have this to look forward to all year ....and I was one of the people believing Hughton could take us to the next level, not so sure now ....please let me be wrong .

I didn''t say anything re: friendlies but i wouldn''t apologise if i had.

Yes this is abysmal. But with 37 games to go i don''t think you can say too much. Plus, Liverpool are 3-0 down to West Brom - who a lot think will go down - and they certainly wont be down there come the end of the year.

It''s a long season. We haven''t won on the opening day for a decade.

I may be wrong and we go down and i''ll admit i was wrong if it happens but i firmly believe you can''t read too much into this (except formation!) and that we will be safe.

ok. firstly i would say:

yes we look bl00dy awful, but it''s the first game of the season. Liverpool are losing 3 - 0, its not like they''re gonna get relegated.

pre-season is just for fitness and doesn''t mean anything. For example, we looked great defensively and yet we are 4 - 0 down. The worrying thing is that we look off the pace in the first game.

I''m personally not worried as if you look at other teams such as liverpool 3-0 down and qpr 5-0 down it shows that the first game of the season doesn''t mean much other than 3 points dropped.

...i hear we''ve just given a penaly away

Friendlies are only for fitness and running through different tactics and formations. Results are totally insignificant and offer no guide.

Today''s result doesn''t change that fact.

We have beaten all before us in the past and struggled when the season started.

We struggled in pre season in other years and went on to achieve great things.

it''s one thing... losing 5-0...

But the attitude of the players, no closing down, no determination, etc.

Just seems the opposite attitude of Lambert''s team.

Who said Pre Season ''doesn''t matter''? Of course it matters, it''s vitally important which is why every club take part in it.

HOWEVER. The results are literally no reflection of what happens come the season, there are endless examples of that. The truth is we just didn''t turn up today.

Pre-season is about getting the players prepared for the season. That means tip top fitness after their summer break. Work on some tactics and formation. Results are not important. But the fact result wise pre-season was dire. We struggled to score goals. The alarm bells were ringing in my ears, but I relented coming onto the pink-un to post, as we''ve had poor preseasons in the past, and then gone on to have brilliant seasons (1988-89 rings a bell for me, when we lost to Hereford and Ipswich in preseason amongst others, and then went on to finish 4th and reach the FA cup semi-final).

However, after today''s performance and result, the dire pre-season is coming home to roost. My fears were realised. Hughton is in the Worthington mould. Too defensive. If he keeps us playing like that, we WILL go down. We won''t win a single away game, and we won''t score over 10 goals all year away from home. We''ll draw too many home games. Things have to change, Hughton has to learn, or we will go down.

We were successful under Lambert using the diamond formation, 4-1-2-1-2. It was attacking, often at times kamakarzee. but it worked. Playing 4-5-1 will take us back to the Championship first class ticket.

Unhappily admitting that you echo my feelings exactly CP .... but  when he was appointed , I really thought Hughton was going to keep us pressing forward ....lets hope that he will choose different tactics and players and be less negative after seeing this today .